Corona Virus: What are you doing to contribute to reduce the curve?

This is a good primer on how long it lasts:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

I have to say this virus is so new that even the Dr's and experts are all over the place when it comes to how long it lasts on surfaces. I think they don't really know yet with accuracy and the research is just beginning. I have heard widely different numbers from them and much of it seems to be somewhat educated guess work and extrapolation. The first talking head expert on TV I heard said that information so far is 2 hours on copper and stainless steel and longer on surfaces like cardboard and plastic. I have heard or read 4 hours for copper a number of times and that we should be OK after a couple of days for everything else. Copper seems to be the surface it likes the least which does not surprise me since it is toxic and we have been using it, or its sulfate on boat bottoms to kill things for hundreds of years.

Some think it may be similar to Norovirus which I have heard is very long lived and SARS and MERS are up to 9 days on hard surfaces. There is information that some Corona viruses may live up to 28 days. My understanding is that COVID-19 is robust and well armored with an outer coating of protein and lipeds (fat molecules). It uses the protein to attack cells but the lipids are armor to make it hard to kill. My guess is that hand washing with a strong detergent soap helps strip away its hard fat armor. There seems to be a lot of factors that may effect how long it lives such as UV sunlight and heat. It may live a lot longer on plastic in a dark cool car than it does on the same plastic baking in a car in the hot sun. So it seems to me it MAY live somewhere between a few hours to a few weeks and may vary significantly depending on many factors. I wonder about things like will it live, and if so for how long, when it is frozen on food.

If you want to let time kill it, I am going with one to two weeks, the longer the surface is not touched with your hands the better. Better to be over than under until the fog of war with it clears.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm?s_cid=mm6912e3_e&deliveryName=USCDC_921-DM23553

In terms of how long this Virus lives on surfaces, the fog of war has cleared a little more. The American Center for Disease Control has now found COVID-19, 17 days after the last tourist left their Cruise Ships room but before it was cleaned. It looks like some of the earlier estimates by the CDC and respected Universities etc. were overly optimistic. I thought that If I did not touch things for one to two weeks I would be safe with out using bleach or 70% or better alcohol. I am thinking that if I want to be safe now with out using sanitizers on possible exposed surfaces, that they should not be touched for 30 days to provide a safety factor. This virus continues to surprise, and not in a good way.

Last edited:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm?s_cid=mm6912e3_e&deliveryName=USCDC_921-DM23553

In terms of how long this Virus lives on surfaces, the fog of war has cleared a little more. The American Center for Disease Control has now found COVID-19, 17 days after the last tourist left their Cruise Ships room but before it was cleaned. It looks like some of the earlier estimates by the CDC and respected Universities etc. were overly optimistic. I thought that If I did not touch things for one to two weeks I would be safe with out using bleach or 70% or better alcohol. I am thinking that if I want to be safe now with out using sanitizers on possible exposed surfaces, that they should not be touched for 30 days to provide a safety factor. This virus continues to surprise, and not in a good way.

Do you know if microwaving your mail will kill the virus?

No Idea, but even if it did I doubt it would be all that practical as MW ovens will burn out if you do not have water or sufficient food with water in it and that would make steam and perhaps soggy mail. Not sure, never tried it and if it did not sterilize it you could contaminate your MW.

A UV sterilizing box would do the job but try and find one of those in a pandemic. They make them for Cell phones that would likely work. You bake the phone for about 8 minutes in the UV light, but they are not cheap.

My Smart Pot computerized pressure cooker unit has a sterilize program sort of like an Autoclave, but it uses water and would only be good for things that could take the water, steam, heat and pressure.

Perhaps baking them in an oven could work but I remember from the book Fahrenheit 451 that 451 degrees is the average temp that paper burst into flames so you would want to be way below that and no idea how long it would take at say 325 degrees. Experimenting would be needed to determine what temp would not damage paper in small quantities and them without lab work you would have no idea how long it would take at temp x to destroy COVID-9.

Stick it on a cloths line in bright sun could speed up the time it takes for the virus to dies with the UV light and sun heat but I suspect it would take considerable time.

Last edited:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc...bins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html

No Idea, but even if it did I doubt it would be all that practical as MW ovens will burn out if you do not have water or sufficient food with water in it and that would make steam and perhaps soggy mail. Not sure, never tried it and if it did not sterilize it you could contaminate your MW.

A UV sterilizing box would do the job but try and find one of those in a pandemic. They make them for Cell phones that would likely work. You bake the phone for about 8 minutes in the UV light, but they are not cheap.

My Smart Pot computerized pressure cooker unit has a sterilize program sort of like an Autoclave, but it uses water and would only be good for things that could take the water, steam, heat and pressure.

Perhaps baking them in an oven could work but I remember from the book Fahrenheit 451 that 451 degrees is the average temp that paper burst into flames so you would want to be way below that and no idea how long it would take at say 325 degrees. Experimenting would be needed to determine what temp would not damage paper in small quantities and them without lab work you would have no idea how long it would take at temp x to destroy COVID-9.

Stick it on a cloths line in bright sun could speed up the time it takes for the virus to dies with the UV light and sun heat but I suspect it would take considerable time.
I'm guessing it's the same process. To pasteurize milk it's a function of time and temperature I would suggest 160 degrees for five minutes , because the entire item must be heated to the desired temperature and at 160 degrees is not likely to damage your mail .
The higher the heat the shorter the time. here is a table

Pasteurization is a heat-treatment process that destroys pathogenic microorganisms in foods and beverages.

Temperature
Time Pasteurization Type
63ºC (145ºF)1) 30 minutes Vat Pasteurization
72ºC (161ºF)1) 15 seconds High temperature short time Pasteurization (HTST)
89ºC (191ºF) 1.0 second Higher-Heat Shorter Time (HHST)
90ºC (194ºF) 0.5 seconds Higher-Heat Shorter Time (HHST)
94ºC (201ºF) 0.1 seconds Higher-Heat Shorter Time (HHST)
96ºC (204ºF) 0.05 seconds Higher-Heat Shorter Time (HHST)
100ºC (212ºF) 0.01 seconds Higher-Heat Shorter Time (HHST)
138ºC (280ºF) 2.0 seconds Ultra Pasteurization (UP)

Going to jump in here and clear up a few things. My first degree is in Biochemistry / Microbiology; my wife wrote her masters in Virology (in a lab that contributed to sequencing the SARS genome) and has worked in public health, research institutions including level 3 biosafety laboratories, and big pharma. I'm not pretending to be an expert in coronavirus or COVID-19, but there is some basic stuff that I think people should understand about what we are facing in order to make better decisions - and just stay sane.

The paper does not say that SARS-CoV-2 (CoV) remains infectious for up to 17 day on surfaces. The "What is added by this report" states: "...Transmission occurred across multiple voyages from ship to ship by crew members; both crew members and passengers were affected..." - that's the key takeaway. What they found was RNA on untreated surfaces. RNA is the genetic material for the CoV virus and frankly it is not surprising that it would be found. This does not mean that there is viable virus present capable of causing infection. It is analogous to finding a suspect's DNA at a crime scene - doesn't mean they are still there in the room ready to commit another crime. The RNA by itself is not capable of causing infection.

(Also, virus don't "live" anywhere and you don't "kill" them. They are not living organism in that they cannot reproduce on their own. They have to highjack another cell's machinery in order to reproduce. Referring to them as living is like calling whales fish, although whales and fish (or whales and bacteria for that matter) have more in common with each other than viruses to even the most basic single celled organism.)

The reports of the virus being infectious on different surfaces for up to three days are misleading if not fully understood. Yes, they have been able to find - under laboratory conditions - viable virus after several days, but most virus particles that were placed on the surfaces have broken down and are no longer infectious. It is not clear even if the number of virus that were placed on the surface are is comparable to what would be found naturally (i.e. someone coughing in their hand and touching a handle), or if the number of viable virus at the end of the time periods they are quoting would be sufficient to cause infection. No need to leave your groceries sitting for several days when you get home. Put them away and wash your hands after.

Don't try using your Instant Pot (or similar) "sterilization" cycle and think you are in the clear - it doesn't generate sufficient pressure to properly sterilize items (an old school pressure cooker will reach sufficient pressure). A medical autoclave also displaces the air in the chamber with steam to achieve proper sterilization. The best way to clean items you are concerned about is to wash with either soap and water, a solution with at least 70% ethanol, or a bleach solution (not full strength). And the best way to avoid being infected is to wash your hands with soap (doesn't have to be "anti-bacterial"), practice social distancing, wash your hands, don't touch your face, and wash your hands. Hand sanitizer is ok if needed, but washing your hands properly is better. Gloves and face masks can actually increase your risk of getting infected if you haven't been trained in their use and don't practice proper techniques in donning and removing, and they can create bad habits through instilling a false sense of security.

Remember that "flattening the curve" means spreading out the period of the outbreak - it doesn't mean eliminating the chance of getting sick. The way things are going with the virus firmly established in the population, there's a good probability that things won't return to normal until 70%+ of the population has had it and herd immunity is developed. The goal with flattening the curve is not to overload the health care system at one time in order than the system can keep things manageable. So be prepared that the changes you make to your daily habits are going to be with your for a while - months if not longer - so they should be things that are easy to live with. Again washing your hands, social distancing and not touching your face are the most important things you can do; trying to go above and beyond with elaborate systems is going to produce diminishing or potentially even negative returns and could be untenable. And if you get sick, self isolate; it is way easier to avoid spreading the disease than it is to avoid catching it.

And think critically and look for a second opinions on anything you read and have questions about by sticking the proper authorities - Health Canada, WHO, CDC, etc. What we are going through is unprecedented and everyone is looking for answers that in a lot of cases are just not there (vaccines, miracle drugs, ibuprofen makes it worse, etc.) which creates the perfect situation for misinformation to spread. Fortunately for the vast majority of people a case of COVID-19 will be relatively mild and we are not dealing with something more virulent. Stay safe, stay healthy and stay sane.

Last edited:
This might be helpful to those that are looking for business service in the Comox Valley.

Comox Valley Economic Development & Tourism is providing a tool for local businesses including restaurants, retail service providers, farm markets/stands, and winery/brewery/distilleries to outline their current services being offered, in one common location. This resource page will serve to assist residents quickly determine what level of modified business services are available during this difficult time.

https://discovercomoxvalley.com/discover/explore/supporting-comox-valley-businesses/#

Treat everything you touch like raw chicken including your gloves and your face.
Exactly. We have a bleaching station in our attached garage for our shoes, outer clothing and delivered items groceries

Excellent Summary!! Do you mind if I share that?

Good info, would like to pass this around...

Wondering,
Nog

By all means feel free to share. Hopefully it helps people who have questions and trying to make sense of this all. We are all in the same boat facing this serious issue, but we will get through it.

Some people are going all survivalist and buying guns and ammo. Not really helpful.

Instead, keep your mental health by getting outside, keeping in safe contact with friends and neighbors and asking what you can do to help others.

I can tell you what thew state of Washington is doing. They just closed all fishing in the state down.
What is the logic in closing fishing? It's often just one or two people - hardly a violation of the social isolation protocol.

What is the logic in closing fishing? It's often just one or two people - hardly a violation of the social isolation protocol.

citing that bank maggots are too close together, ramps are crowded.

ridiculous to close it... just make rules and fines!!

Back