Looking for a salmon brine with white sugar

CVmike

Pulled out the last of 2019’s salmon to make some smoked salmon this weekend. I planned to pick up brown sugar on my big grocery shop today and it was all sold out so I grabbed a bag of white instead.
Does anyone have any good brine recipes for white sugar? Im thinking I’ll have to tone down the sugar/ salt ratio from 3/1 to 2/1 to compensate for the extra sweetness. Ive also got a big bottle of molasses kicking around so maybe 1/1/1 white sugar, salt, molasses might be the ticket.
Any idea’s?

Thanks

Pulled out the last of 2019’s salmon to make some smoked salmon this weekend. I planned to pick up brown sugar on my big grocery shop today and it was all sold out so I grabbed a bag of white instead.
Does anyone have any good brine recipes for white sugar? Im thinking I’ll have to tone down the sugar/ salt ratio from 3/1 to 2/1 to compensate for the extra sweetness. Ive also got a big bottle of molasses kicking around so maybe 1/1/1 white sugar, salt, molasses might be the ticket.
Any idea’s?

Thanks
Take your white sugar, add molasses. Continue as per usual. You've successfully made brown sugar.

Any idea’s?

Thanks

that seems insanely salty. how long do you brine? i go 5/1 but i dry brine usually overnight then i rinse and dry for a pellicle. not critiquing just curious. to each their own amigo! :)

you’ve given me inspiration to do a little smoking

I go three to one with course grain salt and brine for about 12 hours. Never turns out too salty. For candy I go up to 4-1.

Sorry for the late reply, but just saw this.

About 3 weeks ago I did my first ever white sugar brine due to being out of brown sugar, and being a curious dude.
I used the exact same amount of white sugar as I normally do for brown. The resulting product is indistinguishable from that made with brown in both taste, and surprisingly, colour.

Looking back at my smoking processes over the years there is but one trend: KISS.
In the early years I was even basting with mixtures of whiskey and honey. Nowadays a simple 24 hour brine with 2kg sugar to 1 cup salt is all I use, and it is fantastic!

Back