Cut polishing

eriks

Is it fine to do some cut polishing on the boat, outside, in this cool weather? 3M Finesse it.
thx

My neighbour just did this with 3M products and the boat looks like new!

I polish my boat every year before I start the season. This is what I use and the boat looks good

Attachments

• BA344FB6-4A49-4280-A756-175F855665E0.jpeg
    BA344FB6-4A49-4280-A756-175F855665E0.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 113
Please be careful doing this with cut polish! as the label says "Cut" it is a form of sand paper. you only have so much clear coat over that paint/gel coat. a good polish and or soap will clean and wax will make it look like new.
get your neighbors kids to wash it down with soap and water with clean rags and wax it down after with a good Carnauba wax. As the man said "Wax on Wax off grass hopper"

I am pretty pleased with the starbrite polish after setting up the hull with a light finesse it cut. I am going to try zaino z5 which is a polymer I use on the cars and it holds up super well. See how it goes.

Last edited:
Please be careful doing this with cut polish! as the label says "Cut" it is a form of sand paper. you only have so much clear coat over that paint/gel coat. a good polish and or soap will clean and wax will make it look like new.
get your neighbors kids to wash it down with soap and water with clean rags and wax it down after with a good Carnauba wax. As the man said "Wax on Wax off grass hopper"
You are right about clear coat and paint: cut polish should be used with great care, if at all. However, on older gel coat, cut polish is indispensable in removing oxidation to provide a clean surface for a good coat of wax.

Just about to start doing the cut polish on my boat also. I seem to have to do it each season, the hull is green and dulls pretty good after year which would make me think I’m doing something wrong. I get it looking real good with the cut polish and then wax but only lasts a season. I use a 3m rubbing compound Then wax.

Just about to start doing the cut polish on my boat also. I seem to have to do it each season, the hull is green and dulls pretty good after year which would make me think I’m doing something wrong. I get it looking real good with the cut polish and then wax but only lasts a season. I use a 3m rubbing compound Then wax.

You probably need to go with at least one or two more steps before you wax. As @Stizzla says, you need to polish after using a cutting compound (which 3M Rubbing Compound is) as they are quite coarse and will leave lots of little ridges/grooves that will promote oxidation and catch salt and dirt.

I followed this guide two years ago and have been very happy with the results. https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

I started with 3M Rubbing Compound, then Presta Ultra Cutting Creme and then Presta Chroma to Glaze. Final step was a coat of Collinite #885 Fleetwax. Last year I just did the glazing and waxing steps and it came out great. Considering skipping and polish/glazing steps this year and just waxing. Best place I've found for Presta products is KMS Tools.

What does everyone like for nonskid surfaces? I believe Starbrite makes one as well but haven't located it yet. That collonite product has great reviews and for sure, if the base surface is in good shape then no need to go deeper than glaze / wax to protect the base surface material.

I've been using Woody Wax on non-skid the past couple years. It works ok, but I haven't been overly impressed with it. A pain to apply and I don't find it lasts that long. Starbrite has a non-skid wax that I'd like to try; their non-skid deck wash works great.

You can get the deck wax off Amazon.ca now: https://www.amazon.ca/Star-Brite-097316-Non-Skid-Deck/dp/B01N4618UH

Great thanks, yes I use their non skid wash, it's awesome...I'm going to order some of the wax today.

Have to finish off mine this spring. I cut and did one polish on it last spring as it was baddddd. Used the 3m system it did a decent job but it definitely needs the once and good polish and wax. But I was worn out from working on the boat all winter last spring and had enough by the time I did the first two passes on it.
Picked up some good info just reading this one guys, thanks.

Back