Oak Bay Wolf shot and killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure would like an inventory of how many family pets that piece of Crap so called Wild Wolf Icon ate.

Lots..they like their pet seals on the island

90637101_10221627472136553_4868954963184713728_o.jpg

A public relations disaster. That documentary will pull on the heart strings of every animal lover on earth. She will re-release it with the death of the animal as the final chapter. Killed by a heartless cruel Island hunter using a gun. It's got everything Liberals hate......rednecks, hunting, and guns. She will cash in at the next International Film Festival somewhere. A wave of wolf supporters will come out of the woodwork like never before. Watch that 'Tiger King' on Netflix to see how animals drive people to do crazy things.

It takes someone with a cold cold heart to suggest Takaya, the Discovery Wolf was killing family pets and needed to be shot!
Can you show me the evidence he was killing family pets!
He was almost like a family pet for those who followed his amazing story!

Last edited:
... He was almost like a family pet for those who followed his amazing story!

Oh the poor deluded Snowflakes.

I raised Wolf Hybrids for damn near 40 years.
I also hunted their wild kin for over 20 - with a vengeance.

This wolf was no different than any other except that he was placed upon the pillar of Celebrity.

He was released into an area with an active and ongoing hunting season.
Tactical mistake.

I will shed no tears for the wolf, and actually enjoy those from the deluded in his honor.

Nog

We've been bitching about wolves the 40+ years since I've been hunting on Vancouver Island. Through thick and thin. Me thinks low deer numbers are not directly the fault of wolves. Too bad this particular one got shot, probably presented an easy target. They don't generally stand around for inspection.

I think the moral to this story is; If you shoot a wolf and find a tiny yellow tag in its ear carefully cut it off, bury the tag, and never speak of it again.

I think you missed the point!
It's not about a hunter killing a wolf.
That happens during the season.
What it is, is a sad sad ending to the life of a wolf who did what most would say was impossible.
To those who say Takaya was killing family pets, I say rubbish and show me the evidence!!!
Lets not celebrate the killing...eh..I say it's a sad sad day to hear of the loss of this unique wolf!!

I'm not remotely sad that a wolf got shot but I actually did think the sightings were pretty neat fishing around discovery......that is something I might miss

Well since it has now degenerated to the personal, I will end with, - If you can't understand that hunters are in a PR war and this kind of news story making the mainstream media , rather than just some enviro. nut animal rights website or blog, harms us, then self interest is lost on you. I am not some animal rights nut and have no problem advocating for a wolf cull when high populations are threatening mountain caribou. I am very much pro hunting. I will just say it is unfortunate that this story made the media as this animal had a lot of following in Victoria and many non animal rights nut general members of the public were fascinated by his story and followed it, so he was a celebrity. No matter how silly you may think that is, and I agree with you, when he gets shot like this, there is going to be push back against hunting not just from the animal rights nuts but from the larger society. Bit by Bit the anti hunters use these symbolic incidents against us. If you want a sense of the potential anti hunting outcome of shooting a symbolic celebrity animal, do a search and read up on the shooting of 'Cecil the Lion', which caused massive outrage world wide that went way beyond the animal rights nuts and the outcome did not benefit hunters. Anyway, I am out.

RF, totally agree!

He had lived on Discovery for 7-8 years as a lone wolf and was feeding on seals. They think with all the bad storms this winter the seals weren't around and he made a swim for it which is no easy feet considering the tides in that area. He was nearing the end of his life considering his age and they were doing research on his survival and hoping he would find a mate. Not !! Like Nog said it was a tactical mistake on the area of placement. I think the hunter made his own tactical mistake and time will tell how all this plays out. Hope he didn't post it on Social media as we all know how that can go sideways for some people.

No info on why the hunter shot him. Also I'd heard the local First Nation band felt he was symbolic of their chief who died just before the wolf appeared on Discovery.

Is it possible to have a conversation without the usual, inevitable labels and name calling in threads like this? Someone who sees this as a possible negative PR problem is suddenly a green idiot or delusional or a snowflake, even after identifying as a hunter himself? I don't hunt anymore but not because I disagree with it. I will say this though, as hunters you may well win a war where real bullets are flying but in the PR war, you wouldn't last 5 minutes! And, as a reminder, I'm guessing you would be hard pressed to find very many people on this forum who are truly part of an animal rights group but the one's who monitor it will be happy to use some of the comments here for their propaganda purposes. Just some food for thought.

It doesn’t matter what we do you can’t keep those people happy so it’s no use even worrying about it or trying, just carry on. It was stated the dog was shot under a legal license,,, that’s it end of story move on.

Well redneck hunter or stupid green, I guess we can agree that this was unfortunate. :)
This is why coned 19 is around
Humans are terrible, no reason for me to kill a beautiful animal no reason again
There is many other things you can do on your day off
I just can not understand why people are like that
Hopefully someone gets the message out there

So, honest question though - not being a hunter myself, but have 0 issues with it if it's done for feeding the family - as someone else hinted - would this have been done for the meat, or just for the sake of killing?
If for the meat, then no issues - if for the sake of killing, then isn't it a bit like saying - (in a fishing perspective) the rules say we can kill x number of dogfish - I have no intention of eating them, but I'm allowed to harvest them, so I'll just take as many as I can?
Same thing, or am I missing something?

So, honest question though - not being a hunter myself, but have 0 issues with it if it's done for feeding the family - as someone else hinted - would this have been done for the meat, or just for the sake of killing?

most likely for the skin, unless there is a problem with local Elk/deer predation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back