2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it weird u got a white spring isn't there just usually reds this time of the year?
I agree with your thinking... however the last time I was out a few weeks ago I had another white spring in almost exactly the same spot same length but skinnier.

They are Pollock and I have kept quite a few over the years. We enjoy them very much for fish and chips and I keep all of the rest of the carcass for bait. You will catch them in different sizes with some of them getting up to a few pounds in size but the average is more around a pound to a couple pounds. Keep a couple and try them to see if you like them. Very similar to Cod IMO.

They are also excellent for making a tasty fish stock. If you have eaten imitation crab meat you have eaten highly processed Walleye Pollock.

Fished the Hump yesterday for most of the day. Immediately landed one just under, then the pollack show started. Most of the day had a number of shakers hit (more than 10). An hour before low slack, we hit a good one that we lost, then shortly after lost another really nice one that peeled like crazy. About 4 prawns in 6 traps (not sure if that was tide related) and crabbing was insanely good.

is it weird u got a white spring isn't there just usually reds this time of the year?
A little early for Whites but this is the start to the Squamish run which thickens up by June. Most of that run is whites. Only the odd red. Years ago while steelheading the Vedder I myself along with a few others that I saw had hooked up Springs at the end of March. Eventually they put in the non retention clause that you see today. Of course at the time it was legal to keep so guys were going home with them. Buddy of mine picked same fish about 18lb white just off Grace on Sat. Clearly they are starting to move through and if you fish the Howe Sound and pick up a screamer or anything over 12 lbs, most likely a white.

Feeder fall white springs wintering on the inside of georgia straight. Most would be hatchery, but DFO only clips a very small % of them.

If all of them were clipped it would show just how many of our "wild " fish that are caught during winter and spring are hatchery. But again common sense with DFO doesnt happen.

Anything to keep anglers off the water so they can appease FN and enviromentalist trudeau following scumbags!

Last edited:
Anyone know if the launch at Porteau Cove is still open I know the campsite is closed down for now.
Cheers
Nik Fuess
March 24 at 7:09 PM
Heads up everyone. I was at Porteau Cove today. The park ranger advised me that they would be closing the entire park including the boat launch as of this evening. The campsite and washrooms were already closed. That’s a long way to drive just to find a locked gate!

8 Comments
Comment

Comments

Nik Fuess
Heads up everyone. I was at Porteau Cove today. The park ranger advised me that they would be closing the entire park including the boat launch as of this evening. The campsite and washrooms were already closed. That’s a long way to drive just to find a locked gate!

8 Comments
Comment

Comments

Thanks for the info

Nik Fuess

8 Comments
Comment

Comments

Thanks Nik ...saved me a costly trip... Cheers

For those that had traps stolen yesterday, we were heading back to west van from gambier to grab our traps and we noticed a boat that looked like they were right on top of our traps. As we got closer they sped off and we tried to intercept to get a video, but unfortunately we couldn’t make the boat out due to the video being extremely shaky. They took off for what looked like horseshoe bay or sunset (which was where we launched). We thought it was suspicious but when we pulled all of our gear up it was still there. Friends of friends had dropped in the same location, and their buoys were still there when we left. They went back last evening to grab them and all their gear was gone so we suspect these guys doubled back and snatched their stuff. The boat looked like an older double eagle about 16ft in length with a yellowish canvas awning. Looked like 3 guys in the boat.

For those that had traps stolen yesterday, we were heading back to west van from gambier to grab our traps and we noticed a boat that looked like they were right on top of our traps. As we got closer they sped off and we tried to intercept to get a video, but unfortunately we couldn’t make the boat out due to the video being extremely shaky. They took off for what looked like horseshoe bay or sunset (which was where we launched). We thought it was suspicious but when we pulled all of our gear up it was still there. Friends of friends had dropped in the same location, and their buoys were still there when we left. They went back last evening to grab them and all their gear was gone so we suspect these guys doubled back and snatched their stuff. The boat looked like an older double eagle about 16ft in length with a yellowish canvas awning. Looked like 3 guys in the boat.

Was this prawn or crab traps? Stealing gear deserves the electric chair.

My friend just called and said his friends cousins traps were stollen and they were in the same area as ours but we saw their gear still there when we left.

One day someone is going to catch these guys/people and things are going to get nasty

I always see the reports of traps being stolen and had a thought the other day when my brother in laws dog got lost and took 7 days to find him, I looked into a gps for dogs. They are not that expensive to put on a dogs collar and I bet they could be waterproofed and put in a bouy and the hunt would begin.. Or if your traps got drug off you could find them also. just a thought.

It's going to happen. The only question is will they even allow catch and release. FN are fighting hard to shut it down. Our only hope right now is that with all this media attention on C19, dickhead doesn't need to score FN brownie points.
100% its gonna happen, just when. Looked up last year and it was an Apr 16 announcement and Apr 19 onward was no retention.... at least it will give a few more weeks here. Fingers crossed

100% its gonna happen, just when. Looked up last year and it was an Apr 16 announcement and Apr 19 onward was no retention.... at least it will give a few more weeks here. Fingers crossed
They were behind last year. The new regs would generally come in with the new license year. They're not trying to put a positive spin on it this year. APRIL 1. Count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back