Those Darn Split Rings!

Mako 22

I hate them. A cure below.

Some tools and ingredients:

The old reliable acetylene/air torch, it produces a flame hot enough to get the job done. This outfit is over 75 years old, it was my fathers. Handy for a lot of things.

e1YJTCg.jpg

Stainless steel rings, 8/0 hooks, 6 inch white hoochies, crimps, swivel, and a assist hook rig made using 300 pound mono.

JZbDppv.jpg

Alstate silver brazing alloy, flux coated, very expensive but very strong and flows well if your heat is high enough and the metal is clean.

qlbrU2t.jpg

Clamped in the vise, ready to silver braze. Note the swivel.

bo2QUmi.jpg

Brazing complete, compared with the original. These are 14 ounce PLine Halibut Jigs. I like the larger SS ring, it gives more room for the assist hooks rigging.

EbefeNE.jpg

Full view.

rghCwem.jpg

Finished product. Note the Cheater bobber inside the hoochie head. I do not use a hook in the hoochie as it tends to foul the bottom, the areas I jig have rocky bottoms. The assist hooks work better anyway.

rd2fURg.jpg

I am off to the shop to braze up a dozen or so more.

I remember the cool guys who fished spoons on the THompson used to weld their split rings....probably after getting one of those HOT fish that managed to find the split in the ring...

I remember the cool guys who fished spoons on the THompson used to weld their split rings....probably after getting one of those HOT fish that managed to find the split in the ring...

Yea I have pulled them apart in the past on a strong fish.

Do you use any bait on the jig setup? Looks pretty slick!

No bait. Halibut in my favorite areas readily hit jigs. But I have done a lot of prospecting since I moved here in 1978 and know the areas well.

My best jig of all time is the Metzler Mooch a Jig, a 6 ounce shown in my avatar. They have served me well on both Salmon and Halibut. 6 ounce for Salmon, 8 ounce and heavier for Halibut. Not in production any more, but I have a big stash I bought in the good old days.

Some of the stash below.

uOEaGva.jpg

The 6 oz below is retired, hangs in the lure collection. Wrong type hook anyway to be legal here in WA. Yea, that split ring is soldered.

7oJNWPy.jpg

Back