Best shovel suggestions

Gear'n'beer!

E9337BED-04ED-47CD-A48B-91435ACB1520.jpeg So I realize this is a long shot but I’m looking for an extraordinary shovel. One someone else out there has bought and it’s been the bomb. I have broken quite a few over the years but never quite like this one. I don’t mind paying for one that can take abuse. Let me know guys.

When I saw your header, I thought you were referring to the best variation of a hard to find slow speed Salmon Plug. Guess the fact it is in the open forum should have been a clue.

Last edited:
I use shovels all day. Get a good wooden handle and make sure the grain of the handle runs against the way you would pry or lever it. if its not the handle will snap if you are really prying on it. Do not get a hollow back shovel for digging or prying. That is the key to a good shovel. hollow backs fine for shovelling sand to make concrete and sawdust but will crack just like the picture you posted if you really lean in to it. True Temper makes a good shovel. There is some good fiberglass handled shovels but get the heavy fibreglass ones. Buckerfields usually has good shovels.

Have you tried sticking it all the way in? I heard that's important, but I don't 'shovel' much.

If you want one for really heavy duty use, fiskars makes an all steel shovel that is pretty indestructible.

It's heavy so I don't like it for moving material but for prying jobs, unkillable. Plus, lifetime warranty.

Which you pay for.
This one looks like the ****.......thanks for the input

King of Spades shovels. They are all-metal, forged, no rivets, built like tanks, made in USA. They sell them at some landscaping supply shops( Northwest
Landscape on mainland)

I have bought hundreds of shovels and by far the best shovel is the cheap wood handled shovel from Gregg’s Distributors. Less than $20.00

It is light weight and strong enough. If you break it you are working too stupid. You should be using a metal bar or a metal pick.

Well we will see how their warrantee is..... not indestructible enough I guess
F2B8A6E7-52CE-4A87-AE92-5EF0B41031AD.jpeg

I have bought hundreds of shovels and by far the best shovel is the cheap wood handled shovel from Gregg’s Distributors. Less than $20.00

It is light weight and strong enough. If you break it you are working too stupid. You should be using a metal bar or a metal pick.
Nailed it. Don't leave the bloody thing out in the rain all winter and you'll get even more out of them. $15.99 is all I ever pay for the 100 or so I've owned. Now a good axe and hoe is essential.

Back