2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the popemobile out for her maiden voyage of 2020 today. Fished Coal Island for a couple hours, got into 5 fish, 3 under and 2 small "keepers" that we released. Had to run back to shore for a rodholder after the scotty bracket on the downrigger arm snapped off while trolling. Rodholder, half a bracket, and my TR3 went overboard... luckily the line on the TR3 was buried deep in the clip, managed to handline the rod/reel back into the boat after circling back and cutting the engine. 2nd time Ive had to rescue a TR3 from the water, first time was a lot more dicey!

All our fish were on spoons, an irish cream gibbs skinny g (or maybe needle g idk) and a lemonlime AP herring!

Got the popemobile out for her maiden voyage of 2020 today. Fished Coal Island for a couple hours, got into 5 fish, 3 under and 2 small "keepers" that we released. Had to run back to shore for a rodholder after the scotty bracket on the downrigger arm snapped off while trolling. Rodholder, half a bracket, and my TR3 went overboard... luckily the line on the TR3 was buried deep in the clip, managed to handline the rod/reel back into the boat after circling back and cutting the engine. 2nd time Ive had to rescue a TR3 from the water, first time was a lot more dicey!

All our fish were on spoons, an irish cream gibbs skinny g (or maybe needle g idk) and a lemonlime AP herring!
saw you out there! This is a known problem with rod holders mine has snapped 3 times now.... scary stuff glad you got the rod back. One “keeper” and one under for me in the couple hour troll. Both fish released

Tried Fairfax Sunday but it was very quiet. Not much bait showing and no hits. Went past Coal and saw rafts of birds feeding on the surface, were the salmon up shallow chasing the bait there, or still hugging bottom?

Out Monday, tried for hali off Zero Rock for 3 hours or so with nothing but a sunburn. Moved to Mandarte and lost a decent salmon(?). Dead flat, beautiful day.

Self isolated off Hamley Pt and then Sidney Channel. Three springs too small to keep in our area (Sooke Tyees) Lol. Great day out there and weather was awesome. Great break from all the concerns going both real and perceived . Stay safe and healthy guys and gals, we’ll get through this!

Continued the self isolation with a Halibut trip outside the D’arcy Island RCA. Happy to report the Halibut have also taken Bonnie Henry’s advice and were also self isolating. Regrettably the dogfish, rebels that they are, disregarded the sound advice and recklessly, still traveling in swarms, cleaned out our bait quicker than shoppers in the Costco toilet paper aisle.

Continued the self isolation with a Halibut trip outside the D’arcy Island RCA. Happy to report the Halibut have also taken Bonnie Henry’s advice and were also self isolating. Regrettably the dogfish, rebels that they are, disregarded the sound advice and recklessly, still traveling in swarms, cleaned out our bait quicker than shoppers in the Costco toilet paper aisle.
Thanks Ziggy, I really needed that humour in these troubled times.

We are also making use of our Floating Isolation Pod at Fairfax today. Nothing yet but we remain optimistic and even if we dont catch anything, it just feels safer out here. Stay safe everyone...

Ran down to Oak bay out near the shipping lanes Saturday for Hali without a sniff. Not even the dogfish were biting.
Today went out for the slack current mid day, was blowing a bit in Sidney and had the kids with me so wanted a easy place to fish. Went to Saanich Inlet and started at Wain rock with a plan to head down the east shore of the inlet looking for fish. While making lunch I veered out into 250’ of water and kept the riggers at 120’ and 130’. Marked some large schools of bait and Wham! Fiesty whitey in the box a couple minutes later. Circled back through for a couple more passes and bonked another beauty mid teener. Kids wanted to find a beach so that was it for us. But great day of fishing considering we were just hiding from the wind.

I had to tie the gaff to the radar arch for the photo....one day he’ll be holding them on his own!

Faster than you will ever believe. Great picture, better keep that one for when the two of them grow up. Nothing better than memories like that, for them and you.

Oly

Out to coal Saturday morning for high slack, no action for me. Sounder was dead for bait etc last couple days, anyone having luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back