New people here,Anyone prawning these days?

SilverCoho

new people here,anyone prawning these days?i went to slugget point(near the tsartlip council) the boat ramp,and some tribe member told me is a private property and i cant even walk to the ramp anymore. i went to prawning last few years and always going out from there. do anyone know what is happening?
i know payment is needed for using the boat ramp,but is that really a private property and people cant go there anymore?there is no signage shows that entering is prohibited...
anyway the prawning season is not open yet,
hope i can figure out whats going on before April

Last edited:
I would think come April 1st that ramp is going to see a lot of action. I used it last spring and the ramp was in rough shape and the docks where just scabbed together after getting beat up in storms all winter. I doubt that launch gets much maintenance either.

I know over on this side of the border the reservations have closed to all non tribal members. Might be why they told you you shouldn't even be there?

I would think come April 1st that ramp is going to see a lot of action. I used it last spring and the ramp was in rough shape and the docks where just scabbed together after getting beat up in storms all winter. I doubt that launch gets much maintenance either.
With new limits of 125 per person it may see less use. Or multiple uses per day I guess.

With new limits of 125 per person it may see less use. Or multiple uses per day I guess.
125 per person isn't gonna slow anything down. It's just going to force avid anglers to bring their traps more often and get the same amount of prawns.

125 per person isn't gonna slow anything down. It's just going to force avid anglers to bring their traps more often and get the same amount of prawns.
I agree. I have an allotted amount of freezer space for prawns. When it's full I stop. Now it'll take an extra trip.

Is the ramp at Tsartlip the only option on the inlet? I agree, it is janky as hell and a real pain to use. But if they're also isolating so no one can use it then that puts a serious damper on my prawning season.

Launch at Tulista in Sidney or Goldstream boat house ?

depends on if your doing day runs or mooring your boat I guess.

Any update on the Tsartlip ramp? Season opens tomorrow and I don't want to head out there this weekend all geared up only to be turned away...

I have a feeling the Tsartlip ramp is closed to public for now. They have signs up as you enter now. Band Members only, no trespassing and All the envelopes to pay for boat lunch are gone and they have signs up about COVID-19 and no one is around. My feeling with COVID-19 it is closed to the public.

But I don't have confirmation on this. It just looks that way.

OK, thanks. I was worried about that, but it makes sense. If they've been doing maintenance on it like in years past it's probably unusable by now anyway. ;)

Anyone been to or launched @ goldstream boathouse lately ? Just thinking this may be the 2nd best option for getting out prawning if the Tarstlip launch is closed. I have private moorage for my boat just need to get it there.

If anyone could confirm the Tarstlip launch is closed that would be great otherwise I will check it out tomorrow sometime.

The Tarstlip ramp is open, I don’t know if they are trying to keep people out or not. No locals to be seen but I launched there today and it looked like several others where launching as well

Prawning out of Goldstream boathouse the last two weeks. Week one was terrific, but this week it's dropped right off. Someone out there said that the phase of the moon might be to blame (?). Anything to this, or am I just experiencing the usual ups and downs of fishing?

Prawning out of Goldstream boathouse the last two weeks. Week one was terrific, but this week it's dropped right off. Someone out there said that the phase of the moon might be to blame (?). Anything to this, or am I just experiencing the usual ups and downs of fishing?

Quite possible. The phase of the moons determines the tide characteristics. Certain lunar phases translates into a stronger tide. Perhaps a stronger tide keeps the critters hunkered down tight in their prawn holes since they will likely have to expend too much energy fighting the strong currents. Like fish in many ways. That's my guess but it seems pretty logical to me. Anyone else keep track of their success rates depending on tide characteristics?

Back