Scotchman float repair? Small hole...

AndrewH

Anyone ever had any luck? It has been sitting in my shed for a while as I couldn’t bring myself to toss it without trying to fix it first. The slit is about 1/8” long.

thoughts?

We've done it on one of our scotchman float for our prawn traps a few years ago and its still holding, I think we just used a big bicycle tube patch and its worked for us this far.

Yes, PVC Vinyl Plastic Glue. IPS Weld-On® 66™ is formulated for bonding flexible or rigid vinyl. It, or a similar product, should be available at Industrial Plastics.

I plastic welded a hole/slit in one some years ago. It held BUT I never trusted it, hard leaving $500 anchor or prawn set on a fixed $150 Scotchman. I just replaced with new. Pain goes away immediately when you trust the thing holding up your gear or anchor. Just me.

HM

I fixed one with some clear flexible sealant meant for fixing neoprene waders. Can’t remember the product name but it’s held up for 3 years.

PL 400. It's a sub floor adhesive but it seals all kinds of materials and is waterproof. The stuff is crazy strong too. I've glued concrete to concrete with it and the concrete will break before the PL 400.

PL 400. It's a sub floor adhesive but it seals all kinds of materials and is waterproof. The stuff is crazy strong too. I've glued concrete to concrete with it and the concrete will break before the PL 400.
But is it flexible for when you need to add a bit of air to your float? Not really flexible...

People don't understand the pressure, movement and abuse their floats take. Imagine the pressure when it goes under on a real hard anchor pull, the pressure in a burning August sun then you drop in frigid BC waters, the banging, beating and hits they take in the boat. Lets not even think when kids play? Get a new one, be gone with the untrusty hole one. They are not overly expensive. (A2,3,4,5).

HM

But is it flexible for when you need to add a bit of air to your float? Not really flexible...
Good point. I only used it on a small spot on one years ago and have never had to add more air than just a little bit so not sure how it will react on a larger hole. It doesn't stay rubbery like you say though. It hardens up.

I fixed one with some clear flexible sealant meant for fixing neoprene waders. Can’t remember the product name but it’s held up for 3 years.
Aqua seal, used on my scotsman and worked great. Had to seal about 6 holes after a bear had it's way with it.

Fill it with foam if you're not planning on breaking it down for storage.
Are you suggesting filling with liquid 2 part foam?? That would be one hell of a mix and pour. I'm thinking A3+ size, A5's that I use would be one hell of a challenge? I use 2 equal part foam product lots for making/changing/repairing taxidermy forms but a 2 part 1 gal can large enough to fill a Scotchman would probably be 2X the new Scotchman purchase price?? Then you now have a heavier, non inflatable still untrustworthy anchor ball.

I still say discard and replace new. Lots of time to catch up on all those household chores while we all social distance??

HM

Back