Boat Prices During a Pullback/Recession

kaelc

I wasn't boat crazy in 2008/2009. How did a stock market drop effect the price of boats in BC? The Canadian dollar seemed to be strongest in 2007 and 2011. I think I bought trucks on eBay from the US during those exact years.

I have access to some reasonable moorage. I'm thinking go in with a couple friends and buy a wicked cruiser mothership for family vacations and then sell it in few years? Anyone put their boat in to a charter rental pool?

The Canadian dollar has a lot to do with it especially larger boats as they are usually offered in $US.
If you buy now and the dollar comes up your going to lose more $. You need a special friend to share a boat with.
If you are interested in a charter pool call Colin at Cooper Yachts. He is a wealth of Knowledge on the subject.

The difference between 2008 and now was that the dollar was at par with the US dollar, not at .72 when I bought my 150 Yamaha in Oregon, I paid $9200 Canadian. Half price as to here in B.C.

The difference between 2008 and now was that the dollar was at par with the US dollar, not at .72 when I bought my 150 Yamaha in Oregon, I paid $9200 Canadian. Half price as to here in B.C.

Bought 2 Trophys out of Frorida in 2008. Brought them here, sold 1 and got all the money back I paid for both. Because the USA was upside down and we had a good govt our dollar held up. I also did a number of Harley deals, still have 1 of them.

Bought 2 Trophys out of Frorida in 2008. Brought them here, sold 1 and got all the money back I paid for both. Because the USA was upside down and we had a good govt our dollar held up. I also did a number of Harley deals, still have 1 of them.
You are correct in 2008 the USA economy was in the *******. Now we are both screwed.

Last edited:
Canada will be hit almost as hard as the US. Toronto and Vancouver are likely going to see a drop in condo prices as Airbnb's can't keep up with mortgage costs and retail/tourism renters can't keep up with rents. Condo's won't have too many people dumping toys but with tourism being hit really hard there are some small and medium size business owners who will be in trouble. I fortunately have no toy payments but my mortgage payments are stupid for living on a rock in the pacific.

There was a morbid thread on The Hull Truth a week or so ago-— all the young guys rubbing their hands together in glee, waiting for the 60+ crowd to die-off from the Covid19 virus so they can pick up their boats for cheap....yeah, right....but....

I’m thinking boat prices will fall off a cliff....anyone who thinks this will be over and done with by the beginning of boat season is dreaming. If you’re selling a boat now, not a good time to hug it to your chest until it’s black and blue on price....

If you’re looking to buy, be a bit patient. The red ink is going to start splashing around the deck like an albacore killing floor..... you’ll start to see that unique unicorn, also known as a Motivated Seller, on a daily basis in your local toy department any day now...

Last edited:
Back