All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just lost about 15k since last Monday, so far so lets see what this week brings.:( This is not like other times in economy, and starting to get very concerned.

Usually one sector drops ,and others make up shortfall. Everyone is getting hammered, and Ottawa better start moving quickly. I would like to CMHC to act on the 6 month freeze on mortgages like they just are talking about right now. They announced it on there twitter feed a few days ago.

It is tough enough to have businesses fail, but its stressful for us business owners when we have mortgages to pay etc. Some businesses likely are not going to recover. We don't get EI so remember that when you get laid off. At least you get something. If nothing comes in we can't pay our bills.

I hear you bro’s this is going to be a tough one.

Think our catch this summer will be much less than in past years, halibut, salmon etc. Add that onto restrictions as well.

Did have a past guest call me today to book because he has to cancel his Africa trip in June, doesn't trust going there but trusts Canada.
Not me cancelling Africa, they will need guns or no flights to keep me away. Booked and paid deposit on tags 2 years ago. Last years BC hunting success is really helping me stay away from store. Have not bought meat in a few years. Bears are coming out and season opens soon???If you eat them? Do think fish opportunities will be most restrictive this year. Now to get past this huge mess.

HM

On the bright side, Seems to be a lot less pollution haze hanging around. Was sitting at Drumbeg with a nice clear view of Mt.Baker and the surrounding Cascades yesterday.

Was hoping that it is mentioned to Dfo by sfab that more restrictive measures won’t be necessary this year as effort will be way down. We shall see

I can see effort being way up from the rec sector. I would consider being on my boat as isolation. And work has all but shut down for me. Time to ride it out.

I can see effort being way up from the rec sector. I would consider being on my boat as isolation. And work has all but shut down for me. Time to ride it out.

US guests aren’t gonna bring own boats up. Cancel lodges charters etc. I think that’s pretty nuts to think. A lot of people won’t be able to have disposable income for gas and gear even.

US guests aren’t gonna bring own boats up. Cancel lodges charters etc. I think that’s pretty nuts to think. A lot of people won’t be able to have disposable income for gas and gear even.
Yeah I guess I wasn't looking at it from a tourism perspective. More so just the local guys getting out. Figured there's more local fisherman by far then there are tourists fishing in the Gulf Island, Vic and Vancouver areas. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah I guess I wasn't looking at it from a tourism perspective. More so just the local guys getting out. Figured there's more local fisherman by far then there are tourists fishing in the Gulf Island, Vic and Vancouver areas. Maybe I'm wrong.

maybe that area but that is very little of catch considering can’t keep a Chinook till aug 1 and not maybe halibut in the area either.

be nice to adjust the hali regs now before April 1

Last edited:
Common sense says every known infected case and every person who has it but doesn't know it yet needs to self-isolate until no one is infectious. That would take about 14 days if the people already infected did everything right.

What percentage of the population is too ignorant, arrogant, or financially desperate to keep others from contracting the virus?
It's going to be many months.

Or we go back to normal and all get it, killing off the vulnerable. For me this is a terrible second choice and also very poor training for those young enough to see the next big pandemic which might not just be lowgrade fever and a cough for most.

Time to hunker down, scrimp, and wait for the sun to come back out.

Common sense says every known infected case and every person who has it but doesn't know it yet needs to self-isolate until no one is infectious. That would take about 14 days if the people already infected did everything right.

What percentage of the population is too ignorant, arrogant, or financially desperate to keep others from contracting the virus?
It's going to be many months.

Or we go back to normal and all get it, killing off the vulnerable. For me this is a terrible second choice and also very poor training for those young enough to see the next big pandemic which might not just be lowgrade fever and a cough for most.

Time to hunker down, scrimp, and wait for the sun to come back out.
I don’t think we can wait months in hibernation waiting for this to blow over. I give it a month of being well aware of what we are doing, avoiding social situations, washing hands 50 times a day. At some point, life will go on and we will get back into the swing of things. There won’t be a vaccine but we will slowly grow immunity or everyone will get sick and get better and we move on.

pretty sure there hasn’t been a vaccine for any of the recent viruses in the last twenty years. So I wouldn’t get your hopes up for that. H1n1, Sars, whatever else over the years. No cure/vaccine but the we just move on....

ETRYQWaXYAI4_2x

ETRYQWaXYAMDx4P

ETRYQWbXkAELaam

I don’t think we can wait months in hibernation waiting for this to blow over. I give it a month of being well aware of what we are doing, avoiding social situations, washing hands 50 times a day. At some point, life will go on and we will get back into the swing of things. There won’t be a vaccine but we will slowly grow immunity or everyone will get sick and get better and we move on.

pretty sure there hasn’t been a vaccine for any of the recent viruses in the last twenty years. So I wouldn’t get your hopes up for that. H1n1, Sars, whatever else over the years. No cure/vaccine but the we just move on....

Given my extreme vulnerability to this virus I have been staying well informed.
There are lots of Corona type viruses that we have not been able to make vaccines for despite decades of trying which is why we still get the common cold. I understand the development of a vaccine for SARS was abandoned after the epidemic was defeated because of good control practices to prevent infection of new hosts. SARS was able to kill more younger healthy people (hospital nurses etc) than COVID-19. Overall however, COVID-19 is a far more deadly threat because it is so easily transmitted and can spread itself through individuals that show little signs of infection. SARS was comparatively hard to catch. The good thing about COVID-19 is that it appears to be a rather stable virus so we have a good chance of developing a vaccine like we have for various flu strains.

COVID-19 is not to be underestimated. A credible study out of the US on the news this am is suggesting that it may kill 2.5 million Americans. A British projection suggest that if it infects 18 million of their population, 300,000. to 1 million could die. These are first world nations with advanced health care systems. How deadly could it become in third world countries? Perhaps this is worse case stuff but you prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

This will likely not be over in a few weeks or months. I watched a presentation on TV by an Epidemiologist of a credible model projected over the next two years that suggests where we are now is in the first bell curve but once the infection rate drops it is not over. Under that model there will likely be another significant flare up with a high rate of infection followed by many but smaller flare ups and die downs over that two year period. Unlike SARS this virus may not to just go away and will likely keep killing people over years. So when does it end? Likely when we have a degree of herd immunity and three primary groups of people. Those that have been infected and have developed a degree of immunity, those that have been given a degree of immunity by vaccine and the other group will be those killed by it. Many of those will be the elderly and the vulnerable, but not all. Countries like Italy have healthy young people that this virus has also managed to kill. It may eventually become just another childhood illness that many will get and most survive and it may become an addition to the various flu strains that circulate in any given year. There is a lot that is not yet known.

Last edited:
I also have a compromised immune system. I was born with asthma/allergies and now am living with COPD and heart problems.
If i do everything right I feel that I may have a 50/50 chance of getting through this. Not great odds.
When I have bad health days I will go down to the shoreline. The air and moisture has always helped me breath a little easier.
This is why I love to shore fish during the month between May to August. Fishing has become my religion and the shore front has
become my church. Before all the closures I would be lucky to have caught 5 Salmon per year. These fish would not only feed me and
my family but many other people near and dear to me. Last year I got my license at the end of March expecting to fish my usual 4 month.
I do not do catch and release so the only time I fished last year was in the month of August. Hopefully this year I will be able to at least
fish. It could possibly be my last year on the shore.

Fishing can be great for mental health for a lot of people and nice to see you've got a good routine figured out that works for you. It's gotta be pretty frightening times when you feel a 50/50 chance is where you are at. I think we all hope that it's much higher than that and hopefully by now everyone is taking this virus/disease as serious as it needs to be treated. As we should all know by now, it's the vulnerable in society that will be hurt the most by this so all of us 'healthy, young guys' need to self-isolate not to protect ourselves but to help society as a whole, especially those at high risk.

Hope you get out on water many more times this year @John Ingram ... and for many years to come! :)

I also have a compromised immune system. I was born with asthma/allergies and now am living with COPD and heart problems.
If i do everything right I feel that I may have a 50/50 chance of getting through this. Not great odds.
When I have bad health days I will go down to the shoreline. The air and moisture has always helped me breath a little easier.
This is why I love to shore fish during the month between May to August. Fishing has become my religion and the shore front has
become my church. Before all the closures I would be lucky to have caught 5 Salmon per year. These fish would not only feed me and
my family but many other people near and dear to me. Last year I got my license at the end of March expecting to fish my usual 4 month.
I do not do catch and release so the only time I fished last year was in the month of August. Hopefully this year I will be able to at least
fish. It could possibly be my last year on the shore.

I find it so incredibly frustrating as a business owner that Trudeau has not shut down all non essential services.
All employees are going to work and mingling. People feel an obligation to work because they need to make money to buy food and pay rent.
We are in a situation where there are THOUSANDS of infected people roaming the streets and spreading the virus.
We are going to be shut down anyways in 4 days at most.
Why not do it now?
Business owners all feel like they need to stay open to be eligible for any gov relief as their shutdown wouldn't be voluntary.
We are literally making this disease spread until we get the announcement - what exactly are we waiting for? Trudeau is a complete jackass.

I'm thinking a 50/50 chance because of my health together with my partners health with is also poor and she is
working with the public as a cashier part time in a major food chain here in Victoria. We live in an large Apt. block that is full of
seniors. A good percentage of them have compromised health and have medical personal come in and see them on a weekly basis.
I'm trying my best to be separate from the crowds and limit my exposure. I do want to keep on keeping on.

Fishing can be great for mental health for a lot of people and nice to see you've got a good routine figured out that works for you. It's gotta be pretty frightening times when you feel a 50/50 chance is where you are at. I think we all hope that it's much higher than that and hopefully by now everyone is taking this virus/disease as serious as it needs to be treated. As we should all know by now, it's the vulnerable in society that will be hurt the most by this so all of us 'healthy, young guys' need to self-isolate not to protect ourselves but to help society as a whole, especially those at high risk.
Hope you get out on water many more times this year @John Ingram ... and for many years to come! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back