All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping our Staff and Visitors Safe

To minimize the risk to our guests and staff, and to help reduce the transmission of the COVID-19 virus, all Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC hatchery visitor centres are temporarily closed to the public.

The following hatchery visitor centres are closed effective March 16, 2020, until further notice.

·Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery (Abbotsford, BC)
·Summerland Trout Hatchery (Summerland, BC)
·Kootenay Trout Hatchery (Fort Steele, BC)
·Clearwater Trout Hatchery (Clearwater, BC)
·Nechako White Sturgeon Conservation Centre (Vanderhoof, BC)

Our Fraser Valley, Kootenay and Clearwater fishing ponds are included in this closure.

Learn to Fish and Outreach Programs

We have made the difficult decision to suspend all programs and birthday parties beginning March 16, 2020, through April 17, 2020. We will reassess our approach after this period.

We will be reaching out to everyone who registered for a program via email or phone regarding the cancellations.

Our Lake Stocking Program

At this time, our fish culture and stocking releases will occur as planned. Several lakes onVancouver Island and in the Lower Mainland have already been stocked this month. Please use the fish stocking reports tool on our website to stay up-to-date on the latest releases.

COVID-19 Updates

The Freshwater Fisheries Society is committed to delivering the provincial freshwater fish culture program and to ensuring our employees stay healthy and safe. For updates, please continue to monitor our website or sign-up for our newsletter.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support. Please look after yourselves and each other.

The Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC

Well its looking like this season will be a write off for any tourism business including charter operators and fishing lodges. Was hopeful this pandemic would peak soon and die down for summer but looking less and less likely. Keep hearing about financial support from the feds but im sure that will just be for big businesses and corporations.

It’s going to hit everybody in just about every sector hard. My company announced Friday they are cutting this years budget by 35% might have 2 weeks work ahead and then who knows. I’m a self employed contractor so yah,, some interesting times ahead for many many people.

Well its looking like this season will be a write off for any tourism business including charter operators and fishing lodges. Was hopeful this pandemic would peak soon and die down for summer but looking less and less likely. Keep hearing about financial support from the feds but im sure that will just be for big businesses and corporations.

Give a listen to this and if you want follow the discussion on twitter the link is below.
https://omny.fm/shows/afternoons-wi...ency-fiscal-measures-the-steps-canada-needs-t

Kevin Milligan UBC Vancouver School of Economics
https://twitter.com/kevinmilligan

Had another thread started on Corona Virus. As we stated earlier, we are going to keep this as the one thread for discussion about this topic. To keep it focused, I have changed the title to simply Covid 19.

Just laid off my whole crew to get ahead of it. Their families will need them more than the clients do.

Just laid off my whole crew to get ahead of it. Their families will need them more than the clients do.
Yikes. We’re still full steam ahead. I guess until someone at one of the sites gets sick.

I have a night shift crew working at a mall and I’m secretly hoping for the mall to shut down to public so we can work day shift and I won’t have to pay the premium for my guys working nights haha

Was not impressed by Trudope this morning, late while all Canada was stressed and then promoted all the Libs have done every chance he got. I have been very confused at this whole thing so spent the morning researching event. There are many sites saying this is man made and escaped from a secret disease facility in Wuhan last Sept?, also US had a top level tabletop ex last fall to prepare, 17 Oct in New Yorks John Hopkins Institute. Going as far as printing the newspaper adds stating the exercise. Wont believe the name they called the "fictitious" killer disease. There are other issues that were also mentioned in this theory. If true that does explain the whole world going crazy over really such few infections and deaths. Feel sorry for all the negative effects this craziness is having on peoples lives.

Think I may need to social distance and look North Island for some hali?? Better be over or returned to somewhat normal before end June, Africa's tickets are booked.

HM

Yikes. We’re still full steam ahead. I guess until someone at one of the sites gets sick.

I have a night shift crew working at a mall and I’m secretly hoping for the mall to shut down to public so we can work day shift and I won’t have to pay the premium for my guys working nights haha
We had an inspector tell us they were warned that positions involving interactions with the public would shut down.

light diversion because history is worth remembering

Think our catch this summer will be much less than in past years, halibut, salmon etc. Add that onto restrictions as well.

Did have a past guest call me today to book because he has to cancel his Africa trip in June, doesn't trust going there but trusts Canada.

i predicted our lowest chinook catch in at least the last 10 years will happen.

Lots of factors building that.

If this is extended into July and August then this season will be a complete write off

I just lost about 15k since last Monday, so far so lets see what this week brings.:( This is not like other times in economy, and starting to get very concerned.

Usually one sector drops ,and others make up shortfall. Everyone is getting hammered, and Ottawa better start moving quickly. I would like see CMHC act on the 6 month freeze on mortgages like they just are talking about right now. They announced it on there twitter feed a few days ago.

It is tough enough to have businesses fail, but it's stressful for us business owners when we have mortgages to pay etc. Some businesses likely are not going to recover. We don't get EI so remember that when you get laid off. At least you get something. If nothing comes in we can't pay our bills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back