Mosaic Blocks Lake Stocking Access

IronNoggin

From the Campbell River Mirror:

89721999_10163259163355327_9198933179019296768_n.jpg

So much for being a "good corporate neighbor" as they like to tout.

After the Douglas Lake Ranch Appeal is dismissed, they will be in for a painful surprise. I will be doing my best to help lead that charge, and indeed to make it as painful as possible.

When the time comes, I'll ask for a show of hands of those who will be with us on this...

Just a note: I posted this on their Facebook page asking for an explanation. They nuked it immediately, and kicked me off their page. Nice eh?

Nog

Insane and inappropriate since fresh water fishing opportunities such as the ones mentioned above should be considered sustainable fishing opportunities of the future. Everyone who enjoys fishing including those who only fish the chuck should unite to correct this injustice especially here on the island where sustainable fresh water opportunities are fairly limited in comparison to the interior and the rest of the country. We need more on the island.

Id like to see an actual link to this issue.

This sort off confused me, something seams amiss. Its CR (I live here now no more Vic dumb downs, rat race) all rds are open and there are no gates to access those lakes. Echo is alongside the main highway, fishing dock is 500m up Mosaic rd but boat launch and day site is on opposite main rd side. I don't want to disagree but it has been made immediate to me that logging personnel and company up here is nothing like what I am used to down island. Think normal, friendly, respectful both ways. If Tidal waters rumors are true maybe trout will be one of the only species to target this year. Maybe something I am unaware off, can't see this going on long with court case as "ammo" and so many lakes, so many trout and so many users in summer. Possible resource use agreement, MOU, or trespass issue. Is Fisheries society considered business use??? Maybe someone on here who has CR intel/details and more time in CR can weigh in.

HM

Does seem like a beaurocratic issue more than access issue, the only lake behind a locked gate on that list is Wowo as far as I know and that's been the case for decades. Elk main is never closed, and the Duncan bay gates are only locked for 'fire hazard' issues at this point during summer. Maybe that's changing...

Sounds like someone big with weight needs to tell Mosaic in a lawyer/financially sort of way that the courts have already decided these no access BS issues are to stop. Crazy that in this day and age they would pull this stunt.

HM

This story is weird there is nothing physically stopping then from sticking these lakes.

Need a response from the province on this

Aside from the oddities within the article re: open roads ..

We all need to stand together ,
Rec users , other industry users alike, even mom and pop out sightseeing .. all are affected .. perhaps we need to get serious about find fact and challenge tis in court .. the Government does have a heavy hammer /bat in the tool box ..but both the Liberals and the NDP have steadfastly refused to get involved ..
I think the last time anyone from Gov addressed this issue was Rich Coleman ..and he basically told everyone to F.O..The only party interested was the greens ..

Well likely not related at all, but it’s worth noting that Mosiac (Timberwest/Timberlands) is majority owned by the BC Gov Pension find. What’s good for Mosiac is good for the BC gov pension fund.

Pretty sure BC is double dipping as well. Nice pension, then gets the sweet society gig...

Posted by a fellow in the Fly Fishing Forum:

I have been reading this post and decided to check in with the Freshwater Society of BC to see what information I could get. This is the response I received.

"Thank you for your message.

Yes, we are currently unable to stock some of the lakes. The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development manages the lakes in B.C. and decides which lakes to stock, the species and the number of fish to stock. The Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC is a contractor to the government, and delivers the stocking program under direction from the Ministry. The Ministry is currently in discussions with Mosaic Forest Management regarding an agreement where public access to the lakes, or some of the lakes, can be restored. We do not have any further information at this time; or recommendations for how the public can be involved. At this stage, we will need to wait and see what the outcomes of the discussions are. We have expressed that there is a limited time window available for the Society to complete spring stockings, so both parties are aware of the timeline.

Thanks,
Jess
Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC"

Not sure why the "Ministry" feels it has to "discuss" this issue w Mosaic at all. Wasn't there a court ruling? That the road was public? If so - and Mosaic is blocking the road - shouldn't they be told to remove any blockages? Am I missing something here?

You are right AA, hard to see what the issue is. The Prov govt has to get off its rear and enforce the court ruling! Still too much pandering to the forest companies even with the NDP in power.

I believe it is called " the right to roam" the Merritt Fish and Game won after a long battle with Douglas Lake Ranch like Nog said.
This has been going on for years on VI with logging companies and their so called Private forest land that they should never have got to have from the E and N railway grant.

Back