Lahaina charters

Dbastock

Hey guys I’m looking for some info, or opinions on what to do or not to do for chartered fishing out of Lahaina Maui. Got 5 + guys very experienced in offshore fishing and want a reasonably priced charter where they let you run your own gear.

Any suggestions?

Hey guys I’m looking for some info, or opinions on what to do or not to do for chartered fishing out of Lahaina Maui. Got 5 + guys very experienced in offshore fishing and want a reasonably priced charter where they let you run your own gear.

Any suggestions?

Fishing charters a in Maui can be very disappointing and IMOA Lahhainai is the shot hole of Maui almost guaranteed to get ripped off. I have fished the shores of Maui and had decent success and a ton of fun. I have also done multiple charters and caught fish I just feel bang for buck not a good deal. Honestly I would rather spend money locally and be able to keep what I caught.

Fishing charters a in Maui can be very disappointing and IMOA Lahhainai is the shot hole of Maui almost guaranteed to get ripped off. I have fished the shores of Maui and had decent success and a ton of fun. I have also done multiple charters and caught fish I just feel bang for buck not a good deal. Honestly I would rather spend money locally and be able to keep what I caught.
Been to Maui 20+ times.... Lol Lahaina isn’t a “**** hole” though... it’s “old town” Maui... has way more character than most other towns on island. Lots of good night life and restaurants(yes it’s way more geared to tourists than it used to be). Great spot to checkout if you haven’t been. I wouldn’t stay there but I don’t think it’s worthy of “shithole” status. Paia is another great spot to check out that has a ton of character and shows the original Maui. I agree with you though, I wouldn’t spend the money on a charter there unless you know a guide/outfit personally.

Here is a post from July 16, 2009
"Went for a walk to look at the boats in Lahaina today. The charter sales pitch guy told us to come by later because one of their boats had got one over 500lbs. When we went back a 764lb blue marlin was hanging from the scale. Makes quibling over a 29.5 lb tyee seem silly. The guest goes home with measurements, photos and memories and the meat belongs to the boat from what I understand."

Any suggestions?
IMO, the words "Lahaina" and "reasonably priced" do not fit together. Love Maui, love the uniqueness of Lahaina (in small measured doses) but do not love the prices nor the bang for buck as mentioned. I think we are used to charters here that you can find where your guide works hard to get you on target. From my experiences, you pay far too much for a cash grab. Hopefully you hear from someone with a positive response to the OP.

Die Hard and do the overnight thing. Captain Fuzzy is awesome.

You leave between 10pm and 2am and catch bait then go offshore to FAD's/Buoys for grey light.
You don't exactly run the gear as you're doing figure 8's around the buoy but it's the most action you'll get on a charter. We had like 15 mahi mahi and 12 little skippies/YFT.

Most of the other day charters are just a boat ride with a small chance at hooking up. I've heard bottom fishing pinnacles can be fun but C+R.

Sorry, I retract that Lahaina is a **** hole. It has lots of fun things to check out and tons of character. I just feel prices are high and lots of characters trying to take advantage of tourists. I guess there is people looking to take advantage of you everywhere you go though.

Been there done that and was a lucky one with an epic Day. Start Me Up charters guides Jon & John. Boat leaves at 2am Thursday’s room for six. Not sure why you want your own gear as they have top notch stuff. Was going to go with fuzzy but his boat was in for service so he recommended them. The key is to be the first boat out so you get to the weather Bouy first. Seems like the bite lasts 30 mins or when they start jumping which spooks them away so second boat in gets butkas. Then off to the next marker etc. We stumbled across a bundled up net which turned into about 12 fish in 30 mins. We trolled back and hit a Marlin that fought for ten mins then nothing which they thought was a shark but turned out it had bled out. I got a dozen fillets of Dorado, Rainbow runner & Ono and ate like kings the rest of my stay. First week of Oct 2018. Was back last Oct but didn’t go but went to the dock to see how they did and that same trip only got 4 fish for the day. Try to get everyone there early including guides to be that first out. They usually go catch bait before which could be fun if they let you join them.

Attachments

• A54DC9DD-ABF7-4CF0-8A06-E9B27B161491.jpeg
    A54DC9DD-ABF7-4CF0-8A06-E9B27B161491.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 81
  • 1840917E-BDF0-45F0-B299-8D90FC0FC267.jpeg
    1840917E-BDF0-45F0-B299-8D90FC0FC267.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 85
Thanks for the tips guys. To clarify, when I said I want to run gear I meant that’s half the fun. I dont want to sit around doing jack and then be passed a rod with a fish on it. I prefer to run the gear and “fish” rather than just reel in. For those of you who’ve been out of Lahaina, do you typically get to keep your catch?

thanks again

Each charter can be very different. Some Start Me Up boats you get everything, others nothing, others a portion.
Die Hard gives 10 meal portions per person but just offer to buy some more if you want, it'll be pretty reasonable.
There's no processors on the island to vac pack it for you.

Fuzzy on Die Hard is probably the best. From your requirements about running your own gear I'd pass on Hawaii fishing. As for keeping your catch, if the fish is marketable (big) you don't keep it. They give the small one's away.

FYI Hawaii is in 14 day stay-in-your-room quarantine for ALL arrivals beginning March 26; can't even go to the pool.

im surprised hawaii has not shut down the island it's pretty much a self sufficient place.

Jan 2019 i was there walking around the marina in lahaina. Start me up fishing charters brought up a 240 lb marlin on the scale as i checking out the other fish being off loaded

Back