All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting bad going to be a lot of people out of work. All the people that work in sport event no longer working, and events just getting cancelled. No cruise ships? Can you imagine if schools close, and the impact on small businesses?

Our tourist season that is about to start soon? Couldn't be worse with timing.

Last edited:
Don't underestimate this virus. The 1914 flu epidemic killed north of 50 million and some think it was much higher at a time the world's human population was a small sliver of what it is now. Italy is completely closed down and they are in their homes and are restricted to limited time out for one person to get food and medication only. Their modern health care system is similar to Canada's in capability and is completely overwhelmed. This disease mostly kills by lung infection and the difference between those most seriously ill who live and who die can be the availability of a ventilator. As I understand it Italy is at the point where there are not enough ventalators so triage decisions as to who gets one will need to be made. They have lots of elderly but so does many areas of BC and from what I understand there are not sufficient numbers of hospital beds and ventilators etc. to meet the potential need to treat all those who will be most ill if we don't control the rate of infection.

This virus was always going to get out of control, all we can do is take steps to slow it down and spread out its impact to mediate the demands on the health care system and give us time to make more masks, disinfectant and medical supplies and equipment like respirators and provide more beds and reduce the risk of exhausting and overwhelming our health care providers and of course, develop the eventual vaccine. In short to treat fewer at a time over a longer period of time. To say there is only 300,000 case world wide is deceptive as I understand that is based on confirmed cases and very few have been and will be tested. I would suggest the real number is in the millions and growing.

In some ways dealing with this virus is a political decision between competing interests. If it is necessary, how much do you close down the country and the economy knowing you will damage the economy and financial interests to save lives or how open do you leave it to spare the economy and financial interests but knowing you will kill more vulnerable and elderly people if you do so.

Last edited:
March 12, 2020
B.C. health officials discourage travel outside Canada, ban events larger than 250 people

VANCOUVER -- With spring break days away, B.C. health officials say they are now discouraging "all non-essential travel" outside of Canada due to the growing COVID-19 outbreak.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry made the announcement Thursday during her daily virus briefing, and stressed that the advice applies to trips to the United States.

"It is clear at this time that the evolving situation both in the United States and globally is a risk for all of us, and we are strongly advising people not to travel," Henry said.

Anyone who travels abroad will be required to stay home from work or school for 14 days upon their return to the province, according to health officials.

Henry also said event organizers are being told to cancel all gatherings of 250 people or more, though officials are not asking schools in the province to close.

"We know that sometimes the impacts of closing schools - particularly abruptly - can cause a lot of societal disruption and economic impact, so we want to be doing that in a measured way," the provincial health officer said.

The recommendation to avoid travel and the cancellation of large gatherings reflect the changing nature of the situation around the world, Henry said.

"The risk for us in British Columbia, while it hasn't changed a lot here in B.C., the risk has increased all around us, I would say, and our understanding of the situation has also changed," she said.

Henry said the decision to advise against all travel outside Canada came, in part, from consultations with health officials in Quebec, where school spring breaks recently ended and some travellers brought the virus home with them.

"While I have full confidence that it will come under control, the situation is just too risky right now, and for people who feel that that is a risk they're willing to take, that is their decision, but we need to be able to ensure that our schools and our workplaces remain safe here in British Columbia," Henry said.

In addition, officials announced seven new B.C. cases of COVID-19, bringing the provincial total to 53.

Three of the new cases are related to Hollyburn House, a seniors' care home in West Vancouver. Two are staff members – a man and woman in their 40s who are both in isolation at home – while the third is a man in his 90s who lives at the facility.

One of the workers is also employed at Lynn Valley Care Centre in neighbouring North Vancouver, where Canada's first death from the virus occurred earlier this month.

Revera Inc., the owner and operator of Hollyburn House, said the cases were discovered through an "active screening process" that has been underway in B.C. since last weekend. That screening involves checking everyone entering the home for symptoms of the novel coronavirus and asking about their recent travel history.

The other four cases announced Thursday are not related to either care home, and are all located in the Vancouver Coastal Health region.

Three of those cases are travel-related. One is a man in his 40s who recently returned from the United Kingdom. Two more are a couple - a man and a woman - in their 40s who were recently on a tour in Egypt.

The last case announced Thursday is a man in his 50s. Officials are still working to determine where and how he contracted the virus.

Of B.C.'s 53 total cases, only one person is hospitalized, Henry said Thursday. That person, a woman in her 60s in the Fraser Health region, is in stable condition.

Henry also announced that two more of the people infected with the virus in B.C. have now recovered, bringing the total to six B.C. residents who have recovered from COVID-19.

This is a developing story and will be updated throughout the day

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/...a-ban-events-larger-than-250-people-1.4850903

Last edited:
And the absolute madness continues. Has anyone looked at the real facts, why the hell is the world gone crazy??? I could understand if zombie apocalypse was upon us and death rate was substantial from all infected but there has NOT even been 5000 deaths yet? Look at the facts. Vic major wants to ban all cruise ship visits. Schools in Ont have extra 2 week break. Now we have Trudope self quarantined, what better way to bury your head as the leader. Don't worry, all can stay home self quarantine and Trudope will pay for all that ails you. I need to get to Africa early so I can self quarantine with my PH.

The madness continues.

HM

There’s nothing wrong with taking precautions, no need to lock yourself in the house with a 1000 rolls of butt wipe just yet but under playing it is not good either. We have been taking hand sanitizer with us up town and using it more often than usual, we wash good when we get home from the stores like today.

Don’t panic but don’t be stupid about it either, what’s the worse that can happen,, you don’t get sick, that’s a decent trade off I think.

I'm not in panic mode but have been stocking up on stuff that will stop getting shipped in or what we will need for the just in case. I'm not taking any
chances on waiting for industries and borders to shut down next, so products might stop coming in maybe??.... just taking extra measures in every way, staying ahead of what could or is going to happen like food panic in stores... doesn't take long to empty a store out from the looks of things, all the veg etc coming from California

I have never seen something like this so i'm not taking it lightly, i'll be on the water for sure.

Getting bad going to be a lot of people out of work. All the people that work in sport event no longer working, and events just getting cancelled. No cruise ships? Can you imagine if schools close, and the impact on small businesses?

It’s about to get bad! Whether you get sick or not!

The Canucks have been out of country and are flying back right now. BC goverenment says they need to self-quarantine for 14 days. I highly doubt that will happen haha.

cruise ship.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back