Vancouver Crab Poachers Caught Selling Their Catch Online

Not once was the size ever mentioned. If these crabs are larger than 165cm, these are not immature females. Stop moving the goalpost.

Not once was the size ever mentioned. If these crabs are larger than 165cm, these are not immature females. Stop moving the goalpost.
Have you physically harvested Dungeness crab yourself? The things you are saying honestly make it seem like you haven't. But keep doing what your doing, you may have to find out the hard way I guess.

If you actually want to learn how to identify them properly ie growth rates, physical characteristics etc then some of this info may help you too. Next time you catch some I suggest you do some measurements on the abdominal flaps of both males and female both mature and immature. That may be the only way you may see it in person and understand. May also help you realize those differences at different stages.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/education/wns/dungeness_crab.pdf

Thank you for educating me on the similarities of immature crabs. However, I still stand behind everything I've written since we are looking at mature crabs.

Last edited:
Thank you for educating me on the similarities of immature crabs. However, I still stand behind everything I've written since we are looking at mature crabs.

As a visual minority, I get approached by DFO quite a bit more than normal. That's fine, they're just doing their job. Therefore, I have to be on my best behavior. So to answer your question on experience harvesting crab. My answer to that is, yes.
Nope actually you have completely missed the point and you clearly haven't read any of the links I provided you.
The reference to immature crab is the point to show you and others how a females abdomen is while it is growing. Even 6 to 7" females can (a lot we have caught) still have a good portion of the lower triangle portion of the abdomen flap. If you read the link I provided it explains the size of their flaps in relation to the ret of the abdomen.
Just you focusing on that proves to me you haven't caught many females in all sizes and maturities. We catch them often and lots of times friends, customers etc are checking crabs as they toss back and get confused on the round abdomen females that still have lower triangular formations on them.

But if you caught them lots and we're releasing the right ones you would know that.

I feel like I'm in bizzaro land right now. If you look at the photo of a male crab in post #8 it looks like the 3rd crab in post #5. What am I failing to see?

Back