2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one crabbing results yet? Be out tomorrow around the freighters and bell buoy 062 hopefully fishing picks up for you guys
"Crabbing" isn't better or worse. It's up to you to find them, they're always there.

Anybody else hear the idiot who dropped his traps in front of a log tug by passage island on the coast guard channels today? Sounded like: Tug was doing 1.5kn with a three string wide tow, laid on the horn. After “Salmon Shark” (or something)dropped traps in front of him and decided to not move them the tug ran them over in slow motion. this guy gets all over the radio, threatening to sue, claiming the tug should have gone around. I love the peanut gallery that chimed in anonymously “first nice day of the year and the crazy’s come out”. Anyway, PSA...mind the Navigational channels when dropping traps. Tips up!

Anybody else hear the idiot who dropped his traps in front of a log tug by passage island on the coast guard channels today? Sounded like: Tug was doing 1.5kn with a three string wide tow, laid on the horn. After “Salmon Shark” (or something)dropped traps in front of him and decided to not move them the tug ran them over in slow motion. this guy gets all over the radio, threatening to sue, claiming the tug should have gone around. I love the peanut gallery that chimed in anonymously “first nice day of the year and the crazy’s come out”. Anyway, PSA...mind the Navigational channels when dropping traps. Tips up!
Someone just posted about there traps going missing

Was out on Friday around Bell. Beauty day flat calm. Lost a screamer but managed one nice one. Lots of action and bait. On a side note saw a pic of a full 25lber taken Thursday at Tunstall. They’re out there folks. Go get em while we still can.

Attachments

• 3E8A7918-A3A6-4CB9-ADA0-283CA508158E.jpeg
    3E8A7918-A3A6-4CB9-ADA0-283CA508158E.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 181
Great to be out on the water today! Lots of fish marking bell buoy/freighters. Fed the seals again I swear they hear the downrigger
coming up. Have to learn how to crab haha one small throw back
We stopped bring up the down riggers until the fish is in the boat. I think they do hear them.
Make it a little tough to land the fish but they are usually not very big 8 to 10 lbs

Though this is not likely much help given the conditions the next few days, I thought I’d post for interest’s sake.

Fished Defence Islands yesterday. There was a stiff outflow in the morning though it dropped off as forecast around 11 and was beautiful thereafter. Not a lot going on but I did scratch up a decent fish of about 13-14lbs from about 125’ out on the flats. Chartreuse glo hootchie with a green stripe, right on bottom. Had a few unders as well, one of which would have been close but I didn’t bother to measure. It came from 166’ on the counter in about 160’ depth. Bare AP anchovy spoon had the other smalls.

Not a lot of bait around, but some solid patches here and there.

Nice break this a.m. out in the Corona free zone in Vancouver Harbour. Started on the West Van side and was tracked non stop by two seals so proceeded to move back over between the Mile markers. Two undersized, one good keeper lost to a seal and one lost downrigger ball. Fresh air and no need to sterilize though so all good.

Nice break this a.m. out in the Corona free zone in Vancouver Harbour. Started on the West Van side and was tracked non stop by two seals so proceeded to move back over between the Mile markers. Two undersized, one good keeper lost to a seal and one lost downrigger ball. Fresh air and no need to sterilize though so all good.

Nice to hear you out enjoying the waters. The forecasts had thr straight being pretty windy this weekend. How's the chop in the harbor? I assume its pretty choppy right around the bell buoy and towards the QA. Did you snag your cannon ball on something on the bottom?

Nice to hear you out enjoying the waters. The forecasts had thr straight being pretty windy this weekend. How's the chop in the harbor? I assume its pretty choppy right around the bell buoy and towards the QA. Did you snag your cannon ball on something on the bottom?
Not bad in the inner harbour amongst the freighters ... second marker out to the Bell is white caps and chop from the outflow.

Out today. Beautiful morning out north of the freighters. Glass. Lots of bait. A few good hits, lots of smalls and one just undersized. All the hits on herring aide. Started to blow up a bit around 1 and packed it in around 2. Saw one fish netted.

Got out late with some additional delay getting the prawn trap in. Tried Point Atkinson and west van. Nothing there today but have had some success there this time of year. Also packed it in when the wind came up. Ended up with a 6 prawn lunch.

Hoping weather holds for this weekend. Want to get out Saturday. have been out 4 times so far with new boat, with nothing to show for it. Lucks gotta change soon. Thinking Tunstall or freighters. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back