2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the tide change I moved over to the freighters and mile markers. Picked up one under at 21". Lots of bait but didn't see anyone else with nets in the water or good archs on the sounder. Got a bit lumpy towards the afternoon so called it quits around 1:30. Not bad on the crab traps. Good to get out after a 2 week hiatus.

Picked up a keeper a few Wednesday’s ago in the freighters (110 feet, no bananas and purple haze 5 feet from the bottom) so I was excited to be able to get back out there yesterday. Wind forecast was promising but it was a bit lumpy early and a lot lumpy on the way back at 2 (north arm). 3 undersized on the day, one lost in the met which could have been close to a keeper. No banana’s on both sides. 100-130 feet all day. Ok prawns and ok crabs (3 keepers in two traps compared to 12 keepers on the previous trip, same spot). Actually had 5 small dungeoness in my prawn trap which was in 260 feet of water, first time for that.

Those are probably river otters. River otters are the rats of the ocean. Sea otters are the fluffy ones that float around on their backs. Super cute but they sure rape the crabs and shellfish.
Oh yes you're right. They're definitely not fluffy.

river-otter-3.jpg River Otter. I see these buggers every day in front of the house. They make a hell of a mess on land, in the water, on the raft, they climb right into an anchored boat and crap everywhere. Filthy animals. Definitely not cute.

Last edited:
Should be out first light Sunday , love this time of year as things start to gradually change over to our migratory/suspended fish season , away from the winter bottom oriented fishery. Will most likely start across in the gulf and work my way back across if need be, will report back.

Looks like it's going to be busy out there on Sunday, I might have to wait till Monday or do both days :)) Off topic BC sportsmen Show this weekend

Looks like it's going to be busy out there on Sunday, I might have to wait till Monday or do both days :)) Off topic BC sportsmen Show this weekend
I think I’ll shoot for Monday as well, looks like it should be a beauty day

Out at the bell. 15 or so boats. Haven’t seen any nets in the water except mine. That’s the only hit so far today.

Any one crabbing results yet? Be out tomorrow around the freighters and bell buoy 062 hopefully fishing picks up for you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back