Licenses and Salmon stamp fee increases--- 2020

Am I reading this correctly?
An increase of 2.2%
"(2.2 per cent) on March 31, 2020 "
Hardly worth getting excited about, assuming I have got it right.

A 55 cent increase for non seniors and for seniors it's 36 cents.
Assuming I got my arithmetic right. Feel free to correct me if I got it wrong.
Can't get excited!

I don’t mind paying more. Hell
I would gladly pay 2 times the current rate if DFO would come to their senses and restore some of the fishing/prawning quotas that have been taken away from the rec
Sector. Considering what we get out of it, the $30 for a salt water license plus a salmon stamp is the best money I spend every year.

It should be ~$70.

$30 for the general coffers.
$20 for a salmon projects (habitat, pacific salmon management, dfo hatchery improvements).
$20 for salmon stamp / PSF.

Make it $80 with the other $10 for purchasing long term halibut quota. Oh and I’d gladly pay another $10 to mark all hatchery salmon for a mark selective fishery. That’s $90. Can’t even get a day pass at the local ski hill for that price.

Agree...pay to mark. Pretty simple.

Though it’s a slippery slope.

Why would we want to pay more for licence's when DFO continues to restrict
our fishing ?
I don't see the logic.

Certainly the idea is that we wouldn’t mind paying if it meant things were funded and improved in an appropriate manner that allowed for fewer restrictions and a healthier stock.

My thought is why would we put more money in the governments hands? I’m all for paying more if it went directly to PSF and community/angler initiatives. Perhaps the lobby should just be an increase in the salmon stamp - of which none goes to Ottawa. Also keeps basic licensing lower for non-salmon angling while focusing the dollars to the salmon causes that psf funds.

Lets face it BC Gov needs every cent now, how else will they keep paying for the low life riffraff to get free housing. Hard working tax payers that's how, lets not forget the huge add campaign on now patting their BS backs for how good they have done. Now if all our licence fees went STRAIGHT back into the resource I would willingly pay lots more without complaint.

HM

Lets face it BC Gov needs every cent now, how else will they keep paying for the low life riffraff to get free housing. Hard working tax payers that's how, lets not forget the huge add campaign on now patting their BS backs for how good they have done. Now if all our licence fees went STRAIGHT back into the resource I would willingly pay lots more without complaint.

HM
Salt water licences are issued by the federal government not the province.

HM
Not only the riffraff-got to fund all the federal employees on defined benefits pension plans which is causing a bigger and bigger hole in the deficit.

One thing I'm certain of, if an increase is collected by the gov't it will be wasted.
I would be more inclined to direct any increases to habitat restoration.
I agree. Like the model with freshwater licenses where the money goes to the freshwater fisheries society. Give the money to the Sport Fishing Institute or some not for profit entity like that to spend on habitat restoration, hatchery marking fish, CWT, net pen projects... so much that could be done.

Back