March 31 - July 15 Salmon Restrictions

Then that’s where we have to hit them. Stop the flow of cash. One way is through licenses. If every west cost fishermen didn’t buy a license this year, I wonder what would happen.... Hypothetically of course as this feat would be hard to do in reality.

The revenue generated from Licenses goes into general revenue. If there are about 500,000 sold at about $20 its $10 Million in total . That isn't even a rounding error when it comes to federal government revenues. Not buying a licence puts no financial pressure on the Federal government. They could care less about license revenue. If they did they would have raised it, it is very inexpensive at $21 plus a $6 stamp (money from stamp goes to the PSF).

Every single riding along the coast sent a clear message that the restrictions back in 2019 were not going to cost the government a single seat. Honestly, why would the government think for one second that it will cost them any support? The attached pic has given the government consent to keep the course they have clearly been on for the last 4 years. It seems to me that the majority of folks along the coast are constantly trying to get all other resource sectors shut down. From Herring fishery, fish farms, commercial fishing, pipelines, forestry, whale watchers, fishing guides, the list just goes on & on. There is no other place in Canada that is so hell bent on shutting things down & destroying family's lively hoods than the coast of BC. (& in there own back yards?) It seems everyone jumps aboard the "Feels good train" instead of "Is this the right & smart thing to do train". BC is the birth place & safe haven for every NGO, environmental group that exist in this country. Honestly it is absolutely mind blowing. I can not understand how after 2019 Regs were in place & impact on business, Friends & family's were seen & felt in folks own community they all did nothing about it..... The majority of post on this Fishing Forum are about "climate change", & shutting down anything resource based. Honestly there are many folks on here that only contribute to these topics.

This is why the liberals have not a worry in the world.

Folks had a chance to send a clear message, & picked the message they wanted to send.

Now, I still stand behind everything some folks are hell bent on destroying & that includes the fishery. I have sent letters in every time there is a call for it. I will continue to do it. HOWEVER my effort & $$ is for the guides, & community that will be affected from this nonsense. I can proudly say that I support ALL 2.5 Million Canadians who WORK & support there family's in Canada's Resource sector.
oct2019.png

I'm not sure I get your point here ILHG? I don't live where it's red. I didn't vote red...and it seems most along the coast also didn't vote red. Yet we will still likely face the same restrictions in the upcoming year. Are you suggesting that voting for a colour other than blue is a vote for the same fishing restrictions? I remember what blue did to the Federal Fisheries Act, and I'm pretty sure that's no better. I love fishing as much as the next guy, and have built a career out of it, but I also think there are additional priorities to consider when one decides who to vote for. The truth is that good science should lead the way on all management decisions.....and we know that isn't happening. I know staff at DFO that are losing their minds over the restrictions, knowing first well they aren't going to do a dam thing. The point that needs to be made is science based management decisions, with whichever government is in power.

The other alarming piece, and one NOG points out, is the movement ahead when it comes to FN rights and reconciliation. At the rate the courts are finding favour in FN cases, I'll be amazed if we are afforded any opportunities to hunt or fish in the not so distant future. To me this is as much an issue as the pending fishing restrictions.

Gonna put an end to this right now as far as the political talk. We have been down this path soooooo many times before where the ideology of one political party is going to save us all and the Salmon as well. Not doing it again. If you have something to discuss regarding retention or non retention by all means but if it is going to degenerate into another politically based pile of excrement it will be shut down.

read the official announcement from DFO regarding the chinook management measures. They state that over the next 2 months they will be meeting with advisory groups and FN. Who is the official advisory group or voice of the rec sector? I wish the unions who represent the service/restaurant/hospitality/tourism sector is able to weigh in.

To me this process from DFO's announcement seems like they are starting from scratch again.... assessing the data, consulting with interest groups, looking at options and alternatives... How do you manage a resource when you make decisions on a year to year basis rather than a long term approach. It was not a good experience last year, waiting, waiting, hoping and then complete dissapointment. Here we go again.

To me this process from DFO's announcement seems like they are starting from scratch again.... assessing the data, consulting with interest groups, looking at options and alternatives... How do you manage a resource when you make decisions on a year to year basis rather than a long term approach. It was not a good experience last year, waiting, waiting, hoping and then complete dissapointment. Here we go again.

If they were starting from scratch it would be better. Instead of starting from Scratch they are starting form the 2019 baseline. Those 2019 restrictions will be in place again, this new process is likely just determining if additional restrictions are to be added. My belief, and this isn't based on anything but belief, is there might be some tweaking (like they already announced in the letter reduction to 1 per day under 80cm in offshore WCVI July 15-August 1) but not major changes to the 2019 regulations. In our area I don't see them making any changes to the area 25 regs, that area doesn't impact stocks of concern, there is good production from the Canuma hatchery sustaining that fishery. Area 125 already had the tweek July 15-August 1, if there are more restrictions I think it will affect area 125.

Every single riding along the coast sent a clear message that the restrictions back in 2019 were not going to cost the government a single seat. Honestly, why would the government think for one second that it will cost them any support? The attached pic has given the government consent to keep the course they have clearly been on for the last 4 years. It seems to me that the majority of folks along the coast are constantly trying to get all other resource sectors shut down. From Herring fishery, fish farms, commercial fishing, pipelines, forestry, whale watchers, fishing guides, the list just goes on & on. There is no other place in Canada that is so hell bent on shutting things down & destroying family's lively hoods than the coast of BC. (& in there own back yards?) It seems everyone jumps aboard the "Feels good train" instead of "Is this the right & smart thing to do train". BC is the birth place & safe haven for every NGO, environmental group that exist in this country. Honestly it is absolutely mind blowing. I can not understand how after 2019 Regs were in place & impact on business, Friends & family's were seen & felt in folks own community they all did nothing about it..... The majority of post on this Fishing Forum are about "climate change", & shutting down anything resource based. Honestly there are many folks on here that only contribute to these topics.

This is why the liberals have not a worry in the world.

Folks had a chance to send a clear message, & picked the message they wanted to send.

Now, I still stand behind everything some folks are hell bent on destroying & that includes the fishery. I have sent letters in every time there is a call for it. I will continue to do it. HOWEVER my effort & $$ is for the guides, & community that will be affected from this nonsense. I can proudly say that I support ALL 2.5 Million Canadians who WORK & support there family's in Canada's Resource sector.
View attachment 51157

Nailed it !!

But you have to be careful which party you go after on here as you can see.

Nailed it !!

But you have to be careful which party you go after on here as you can see.

From my statement it appears you assumed I am a card carrying Liberal supporter! This would be where you are wrong and missing the point so I'll try again.

I DON'T CARE WHAT POLITICAL OPINION ANYONE HAS ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF AFFAIRS IN OUR COUNTRY. YOU ARE WELCOME TO IT AND WELCOME TO DEBATE IT SOMEWHERE THAT POLITICS IS THE FOCUS OF A PUBLIC FORUM. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE PLATFORMS AND WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN MODERATING A POLITICAL DEBATE.

Apologies for the loud rant...now back to fishing! :)

.... The majority of post on this Fishing Forum are about "climate change", & shutting down anything resource based. H]

What forum are you talking about? It is FAR from the "majority"......like really, really far. :confused::confused::confused:

25 threads updated since I last logged on yesterday.....and really this and one on prawning are the only about 'shutting down'.....and no mention of the climate. ;););)

Offical Notice:

Looks like a repeat of 2019...

This notice provides an update on the Fraser Chinook fisheries management
measures that will be in place beginning April 1, 2020 until further notice.

To address conservation concerns for at-risk Fraser River Chinook stocks, DFO
is continuing precautionary reductions in commercial, recreational and First
Nation's fisheries to support conservation of Fraser Chinook. Given the early
run timing of some Fraser Chinook populations, the Department is implementing
management measures that were implemented for the 2019 season on an interim
basis beginning April 1st, 2020. These measures will be in place on an interim
basis to provide time for a technical review of the 2019 fishery management
measures and completion of consultations on possible adjustments to these
management measures for the remainder of the fishery. The Department is meeting
with First Nations and established advisory groups during consultations in
March and April to discuss potential adjustments to management measures.
Interim management measures beginning April 1st, 2020, will be in effect until
further notice. A future announcement on possible revised management actions
is anticipated in June 2020.

Further information on specific management actions will be communicated by
separate Fishery Notices. You can view or subscribe to fisheries notices
at: http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Contact your local DFO office
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/contact/regions/pacific-pacifique-eng.html

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0315
Sent March 27, 2020 at 1716

Offical Notice:

Looks like a repeat of 2019...

This notice provides an update on the Fraser Chinook fisheries management
measures that will be in place beginning April 1, 2020 until further notice.

To address conservation concerns for at-risk Fraser River Chinook stocks, DFO
is continuing precautionary reductions in commercial, recreational and First
Nation's fisheries to support conservation of Fraser Chinook. Given the early
run timing of some Fraser Chinook populations, the Department is implementing
management measures that were implemented for the 2019 season on an interim
basis beginning April 1st, 2020. These measures will be in place on an interim
basis to provide time for a technical review of the 2019 fishery management
measures and completion of consultations on possible adjustments to these
management measures for the remainder of the fishery. The Department is meeting
with First Nations and established advisory groups during consultations in
March and April to discuss potential adjustments to management measures.
Interim management measures beginning April 1st, 2020, will be in effect until
further notice. A future announcement on possible revised management actions
is anticipated in June 2020.

Further information on specific management actions will be communicated by
separate Fishery Notices. You can view or subscribe to fisheries notices
at: http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Contact your local DFO office
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/contact/regions/pacific-pacifique-eng.html

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0315
Sent March 27, 2020 at 1716
So, effective April 1, 2020, the 2019 measures take effect. The way I understand this, we can retain Chinook until April 18th. No? April 19, 2019 that’s when the non-retention started (FN0377 from 2019)

if it’s not exactly following 2019, the were left to choose which 2019 restrictions we can follow.... non retention? One per day w/ max size? One per day? Two per day?.... Obviously this isn’t the case, so if we follow 2019 to a T, we can keep em til April 18.

Change my mind! o_O

Last edited:
So here's the way I look at it..

The 2019 measures took place Aptil 19th. In the notice above it says effective April 1st, the 2019 measures come into effect, essentially whatever the measures taken on April 19th, 2019 come into effect April 1st, 2020. That's my take. Either way the notice is poorly written but this should be of no surprise. The tidal and non tidal regs are convoluted at best, notices are no different. I'm getting the boat ready regardless for my peace and sanity during these crazy times. The water brings a sort of tranquility that just cannot be found on land.

You are correct .
Incorrect. I don't read it that way at all. They're not talking about the date of the measures it's the measures themselves which are being implemented. By that logic you'd have to travel back in time to 2019 to be allowed to fish?

Maybe we're saying the same thing. o_O

Last edited:
No miracles are happening I am afraid. It is could be likely to get worse in June when all of the groups have fully engaged and DFO make decision. Approach funnel areas areas are in a very tough spot especially.

I prey that doesn't happen. Don't just assume because a virus is around the department is not going to implement anything. I have been seeing people talking like this, and it won't work like that. April 1st is non retention in most areas before big decision is made in few months.

Maybe a complete shutdown of rec chinook fishing inclusive of Aug and September months will get us off our asses and pissed off enough to start making some noise. We are leaving our fate up to the DFO clowns.... The negotiation for what we get/don't get is being done for us by FN and commies.

Dying a slow and painful death from a thousand needles

Back