GW 282 Sailfish issues?

barkerfam

Hi gang. I Will be up inspecting and seatrialing a 2002 GW 282 this weekend.

Any of you have specifics I should be looking for in this boat? Has been recently repowered so not worried about engines.

Thank you

Howard

I looked at several when I was in the market for a new boat. I didn't find anything that was an issue strictly to that model. My only thing which is strictly personal preference is the cabin finishing and rear deck layout in pre 2006 models of the 282. I like the newer layout with the rear flip up seat and fish box compared to the built in lounge chair. Also the materials used inside the cabin were nicer and less dated in my opinion. Both rode the same from the ones I tested a few years ago.

282s are great going out. They can be a handful in a trailing sea. The phenomenon is known as the Grady hook.
When you get to the bottom of the swell they sometimes like to make a sudden HARD turn all by themselves as if possessed.
gl

I think you will find the build quality inferior to the Pursuits you were thinking about. Not a slam on GW just an observation of the two.

I have nothing against GW, but in our search for a new boat I looked at a bunch of GW 232s and some other models and was actually surprised at lack of quality in their finishing. Same goes for the brand new GW up at parksville boat house. Again, I’m not knocking Gradys it’s just the facts.

I have nothing against GW, but in our search for a new boat I looked at a bunch of GW 232s and some other models and was actually surprised at lack of quality in their finishing. Same goes for the brand new GW up at parksville boat house. Again, I’m not knocking Gradys it’s just the facts.

What specifically were the finish issues? Clearly there are always going to be one off issues, but, Grady's are built using the best hardware there is on the market. Their engineering is world renowned. The after service support is incredible. God help every person who ever buys another brand if Grady quality of finishes are poor. Where does that leave Trophy, Bayliner and many of the aluminum boats built on earth today. My view is that Grady finishes are equal to all the higher end builders like Pursuit, Hydra Sport, Southports, Whaler in that under 40' class et al. Sorry just one man's view who's looked at many Grady's to 39' over the last 20 years.

I guess I should rephrase.. I was shocked in the lack of quality compared to the pursuits we looked at. That was my one and only comparison. Yes they are head and shoulders above the rest of the brands as you mentioned. To name a few things off the top of my head I would say things like.. bow rails are not one piece stainless, they use stainless but it is a segmented rail using T’s ect.. the bifold doors into the cuddy weren’t great. The trays to the left and right of the helm chairs that have the built in cup holders were flimsy and finished with a rubber edge cap. If you bent down a little the unfinished fiberglass chop-strand and wiring for the boat were exposed. The newer models are better but many of the older boats have those little compartments overhead and above the steering wheel that has a sounder crammed in sideways. Other small things like the Horns and small hardware, they don’t integrate them into the hull, they bolt them to the exterior of the boat just below the windshield waiting to get knocked off with your feet or a wash brush. I also wasnt a fan of the hard-top towers as they are externally mounted and quite bulky looking. Would be a pain in the butt to wash around that tower nevermind waxing or polishing. I’m not at all questioning the quality of the hardware they’re using, it just seems like they don’t engineer as many things into the boat as some other manufactures do. On the plus side I did like the fact that they use all stainless through hulls. Just my two cents..

I second the funny follwoing sea characteristics of that hull. It for sure liked to veer of course SUDDENLY. Buddy had a 2005 and it was not the best. Nice boat otherwise. Also yes grady fit and finish below where you can see is not the best.

Older model years 90's and early mid 2000 Gradys were pretty well know for their fit and finish issues, you can find tons of info online as well as seeing it in person or talking to owners. I looked at many gradys 232 and 272 and 282's of the late 90's and early 2000 era. They are solid boats with good bones dont get me wrong. But Almost all had issues with broken hinges, flaked and cracked fiberglass over the cooler hatches, gelcoat issues on the integrated transom, cracked and flaked fiberglass on the hatches in the integrated transom, rubber strips peeling off. Most of the ones I looked at had pop out deck plates, even in the transom well. Some were so warn you could pop them out with your finger. Now any owner should replace these with latching ones but from the factory they came with the pop out ones. There has been more than one instance of sinking due to a following sea swamping the transom well, knocking out the deck plates and water flooding the rear bilge. Make sure to check the toilet macerator system, they are not cheap to fix. Older models had issues with spongy decks but the late 90's and up should be ok but make sure to check for soft spots. If you want to read a good review of the 272 which was the name before they rebadged it the 282, check out David Pascoe's review. Pretty much sums it up by saying "to be a top of the line boat, they need to do better than this". Can check out his review here https://www.docksidereports.com/boatreviews/grady_white_272.htm

Waiting for the ferry at Duke point and thought I’d share my thoughts after inspecting and testing the 282.

fit and finish on this boat was very good to excellent. Boat had new Suzuki 300s fly by wire. Easy power. Controls touchy. Boat handles well but had minimal seas (2’ chop).

Headroom was good (I’m 6’2”) in cockpit and cuddy. Layout seems REALLY tight for a boat if this size. Tough getting through the captain/navigator seats. Would not be able to sleep on this boat (my 20’ trophy has a bigger v berth.). Dance floor very nice.

probably not the boat for me.

That would be a really big trailer....;)
The 282 is a big mother to tow as well. That has to close to 11,000 lbs loaded up. So you came from Washington to look at a Canadian boat? It’s usually the other way around.

Last edited:
The 282 is a big mother to tow as well. That’s has to close to 11,000 lbs loaded up. So you came from Washington to look at a Canadian boat? It’s usually the other way around.

yup. Gotta go where the boat lives! A nice trip. Border and ferry crossings treated us right.

Yup,gotta wonder why more Americans aren't buying up here.If I got 30% off I'd be buying south of the border for sure.

There’s really no discount. The currency difference is already built in. A boat that is priced at usd$30k down here is listed at cad$40k on your side of the border.

Waiting for the ferry at Duke point and thought I’d share my thoughts after inspecting and testing the 282.

fit and finish on this boat was very good to excellent. Boat had new Suzuki 300s fly by wire. Easy power. Controls touchy. Boat handles well but had minimal seas (2’ chop).

Headroom was good (I’m 6’2”) in cockpit and cuddy. Layout seems REALLY tight for a boat if this size. Tough getting through the captain/navigator seats. Would not be able to sleep on this boat (my 20’ trophy has a bigger v berth.). Dance floor very nice.

probably not the boat for me.

I found the same issues when I had a 282 for a few years - tight between the captain and copilot seat, the arms on the seat would grab your jacket etc when trying to run back to the deck, and the helm seat was quite high above the fishing deck making for a rocking and rolling troll.

Back deck was nice and large. Fish lockers were big and gravity drain. Handled big water well.

There’s really no discount. The currency difference is already built in. A boat that is priced at usd$30k down here is listed at cad$40k on your side of the border.
Not so sure about that,I've seen a few Seasports for sale in the Seattle area in the $30-$40K range that I'd like if I got 30% off. Depends what your looking for I guess,quality boats go for quality prices.

Back