Waterproofing canvas top

Tips Up

Looking to water proof the canvas on my boat. It’s still in good shape but starting to leak through.

Any product recommendations?
Scotch guard type sprays?

most important step to waterproofing your top is to clean it! then it must be rinsed completely

most important step to waterproofing your top is to clean it! then it must be rinsed completely

are you using a specific cleaner? i was told some can leave streaks?! my canvas needs to be waterproofed as well so i’m interested

before i sewed eniglass windows into the top, above the windsheild, i just put it into the washing machine on gentle extra rinse cycle. ive also used the non skid cleaner soap and a scrub brush that i had laying around. I dont think it really matters what soap you use. Power washing works too, just dont get too close,or use too high a pressure and use a wide fan tip. ive frayed some fabric using my ryobe 1200psi electric when i got too close.
as for the waterproofing itself, i always used starbrite ptfe spray. Its ok for a bit but its not amazing, i think the 303 stuff is better.

then again its not an "aluminum hardtop" so a few drips are expected in a storm i think

I use the starbrite too, spray it in tbe spring and not a drop all year, i use lots of it, just saturate the canvas and it seams to work good

World famous is another product that's been around forever...

Washed mine both sides with scrub brush and laundry soap. Rinsed very well then dried completely, not even damp.. Used the spray stuff from Canadian Tire, cant remember name but not real expensive, I tried cheap before going to something "expensive", cheap worked as it was 3 years ago, still no leaks. Do suggest spray until wet, then put back on boat, it will shrink a small amount and I did in hot August sun, being on boat saves any reinstall hassle. Good luck, was an easy afternoon.

HM

beeswax , melted toilet bowl rings and boiled down linseed oil. 50/50, heat it up, brush it on.. you can do your hair with the left overs.

Get some 303 from Costco.ca. $49.99 for two 946ml bottles. Cheaper than $27 for one 473ml from other places.

You want the 303 with the green label, NOT the blue label aerospace 303 protectant.

303 Fabric Guard

or better yet

303® Marine Fabric Guard

Back