WTB Islander Paddle Handles For MR Reels

Rain City

Crew Member
Hey did someone post a link to a cheaper supplier that had these things? I need 8.

Are those delrin or rubber handles ?

The Shimano paddles are rubber whereas the Islander ones are delrin. I had Shimano rubber paddles on my Trophy reel, they were nice but I wore out 2 sets completely in less than 3 years (paddle pulling off post). I switched to Islander posts and paddles a couple years ago, way more solid feel and should last a lifetime now.

...Rob

The Shimano paddles are rubber whereas the Islander ones are delrin. I had Shimano rubber paddles on my Trophy reel, they were nice but I wore out 2 sets completely in less than 3 years (paddle pulling off post). I switched to Islander posts and paddles a couple years ago, way more solid feel and should last a lifetime now.

...Rob
Apparently these aren't off the mooching reels and are hard plastic.

I think it was river sportsman that had them before I bought 5 sets should have bought some for the other 3
Been 4-5 years havnt looked back

Ordered these from you and admittedly hardly spent anything and you were great about sending them, didn’t last a season though. Switched to the islander ones for my MR2’s and they are 5 seasons with no signs of wear. No offense, just saying.

I ordered them from Wildthing and he was great also.. Yes the paddles are rubber but they are the same as what comes on Shimano reels. Mine have held up great. I have a old Shimano 3000gt and the handle final cracked but it is over 25 years old.

I have had no problems with my handles from Wildthing and he was helpful. Had them on MR2's for a few years

The handles from Wildthing held up, it was the plastic inserts meant to buffer the difference between reel handle post diameter and the new handles that didn’t fit great and broke down.

the inner sleeve is just the jacket off some RG6 cable
push the old out and put an new one in done .....
if you really want to go fancy find some ptfe tubing and you be good to go Tug Capitan

Do you have any of the Shimano paddle handle kits left?
fire me a pm for details still have quite a few sets left ....but not sent any out in a while.

and tug cap you got to be hard on your reels then? .....lol

but as you stated replace the inner sleeve with a brass or ptfe inner and they would still be going .... had to keep things to a budget and at the time could not find a supply. live on the sunshine coast so limited for resources ......

of the 100 or so sets i sent out over the years your the first to complain ...and never heard a word from you in all that time ..
would of liked the feedback a bit sooner ....
and as you stated gone to islander ones so all good

Last edited:
fire me a pm for details still have quite a few sets left ....but not sent any out in a while.
and tug cap you got to be hard on your reels then? .....lol
but as you stated replace the inner sleeve with a brass or ptfe inner and they would still be going .... had to keep things to a budget and at the time could not find a supply. live on the sunshine coast so limited for resources ......
Excuses excuses! Thought I was pretty tame about it but you had to drag me back in The paddles themselves weren’t too bad considering they are the wrong size, the mod to make them fit was junk. Yes I could have improved it myself with different materials as you say but it didn’t seem worth it.
What was that 6 years ago?
Been on islander paddles since that summer without one issue.

Back