Bottom Coat Required?

So I have the double eagle and zinc on the motor. I was watching a fishing show and this guy had zinc on the back of his grady white on the transom and trim tabs. Do I need to get more zinc on my boat?

as long as you have some zinc remaining - you are good to go. If you are planning on leaving it in the water for an extended period of time - you will likely need the zincs in better condition - ESPECIALLY in a aluminum boat. There was a good discussion on one of these threads earlier about the pros and cons of leaving your leg up or down at:
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...ilted-up-or-down-in-winter.78074/#post-961835
and
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...nter-proper-care-questions.72233/#post-901678

You can also buy a hanging zinc that adds extra protection at your slip. Just clip it to your hull somewhere and let it hang over the back of the transom near the other zincs. You can stow it in a gunwale while you’re cruising around.

A decent and cheap general purpose cleaner that will remove oily water stains is VIM. Have used it on thr boat for years. I wait for the big bottles to go on sale and buy a dozen at a time. I don't use it for the yellowing calcium stains.

As "Fins&Skins" said ,FSR by "Davis" is amazing stuff. It removes the yellow hull stains and is great on rust stains. Use gloves etc.,it's strong stuff.

My 2 bits... I left my boat in the water last summer without bottom paint and ran it on the weekends. The first couple of months were fine, but after not too long, my top speed had been reduced by 10 knots. yikes... I ended up getting it painted. Its costly, but i didnt want to have to pull it out every few weeks to clean it.

For a few years I didn't want to bottom paint so i pulled the boat out once a month to clean it. If I waited longer than 4 weeks the cleaning got exponentially harder - the more frequently the cleaning the easier it was. I would take the boat to the gas station car wash and use the outside self serve unit which did a great job. To offset the hassle, the gas station had marked marine gas that was about $0.35 per liter than the marina so I would save about $50 a wash.

Back