Another "what boat should I get thread"

Hot-Streak

Hello all,

I have been hit by the "2-foot-itis" as I currently have a great 16ft Double Eagle with 2016 F50. I was on a friends 18f Aluminum boat and really liked the extra space, layout and other aspects.

I have been looking at the Hewescraft sportsman, Weldcraft angler 18 and Kingfisher 1825.
All these three boats seem similar to me and would do ok.

Unfortunately I also saw a Silver Streak Carmanah and Race rocks..... deeper V, Pod (offshore bracket) that is a contiuation of the hull so the 17ft is really a 19 1/2 and the 18ft is 20 1/2
and LOVE them.... I do not LOVE the price.

I fish mostly Sooke/Victoria/Oak bay area. Do not plan to trailer mid or up island lots (if at all). So my question is this.

The Silver Streaks are considerably more money and I am wondering should I stretch my budget (and my luck with the wife hahaha) to get the Sliver Streak with the pod? or will I be relatively satisfied with something like the Weldcraft 18 angler or Hewes sportsman?

I know the top 3 boats are not the same class as the Silver Streak but considering I only fish in fair weather (but year round) I am back and forth about if I really should spend the extra money.... we are talking about a 10k or so difference! I may not be big money to some people but for me its a major factor in my decision.

I crab, troll for salmon, jig for bottom fish but never go out more then 4 or 5 hours so I do not need a cabin. I am just thinking I hope this next boat will be the last one I will want to upgrade to.

For those of you who fish the same area that own aluminum boats please give me your thoughts?

Those silver streak boats are very nice, but you have to be prepared for a $60k investment.
you can buy a lot of boat for 1/2 that.

Scott is right. Welded aluminum boats are the best in terms of durability and involve much, much less maintenance than fibreglass boats. But this comes at a big cost. You can get so much “more” fibreglass boat for less money. I’d love an aluminum, and especially a Silver Streak, but I can’t justify parting with that much cash (yet!). My 18 Hourston hardtop is great and cost me a small fraction of the equivalent in welded aluminum. In fact, it’s because the Hourston is so good that I find it hard to think of getting an aluminum.

I was going to say good choice with a Weldcraft but not anymore since Kingfisher bought them and took over I would not recommend them any more... failure to warranty, law suits etc since they took over. Back when it was just Renaissance making Weldcraft, Duckworth, and Northwest I heard of no issues. Whatever you choose pay close attention to hull design, deadrise, chines, metal thickness, etc

I never been in one or heard many reviews but them Jaxon craft look dam good/sea worthy and almost sexy, its what my idea of a true West coast boat should look like, at least to me.

HM

Trophy 2102, boats are bashed...but I owned one and it can handle some big seas. I fished all over the west coast in some **** weather and it never let me down. Would be a great choice.

I was going to say good choice with a Weldcraft but not anymore since Kingfisher bought them and took over I would not recommend them any more... failure to warranty, law suits etc since they took over. Back when it was just Renaissance making Weldcraft, Duckworth, and Northwest I heard of no issues. Whatever you choose pay close attention to hull design, deadrise, chines, metal thickness, etc
How do you feel about the boat Thunder Jet Alexis OS Alaskan bulkhead. Just curious, looking for opinions.

I have a 18 carmanah and it’s a great boat it more money than the Hewes but it’s got the aluminum floor and more dead rise and built heavier than the production boats,

21 trophy with a 150 four stroke, there's some killer deals and for a weekend warrior boat it's pretty hard to beat the price. Cuddy to store your gear and a portapotti for the wife.

Yup. I own one. I have the 175. A GREAT boat for the money. Bought mine new in 2004 and have been looking for a replacement for 10 years but have never found anything that i like better - even in the $100k range.

Yup. I own one. I have the 175. A GREAT boat for the money. Bought mine new in 2004 and have been looking for a replacement for 10 years but have never found anything that i like better - even in the $100k range.
It's true. As bad as the name is you get A LOT of boat for your money. Had my 245 Cierra for 5 years and did a hell of a lot of cruising and fishing and ******* on it. Had to buy a boat 15 years older and 5x the price to upgrade in size eventually.

18 foot SS Race Rocks HT here. Went Race Rocks so I could rig it myself. 115 Yamaha 9.9 kicker. Good on fuel and not bad ride with the narrower beam than most. Happy with it, good welds, layout and the old lady likes it. She got to pick the colour...

Decision made! Thanks for the opinions everyone! Spoiler alert! Got the Silver Streak!

We went to the boat show on friday (first few people in the door) and got side tracked at the $5 tackle table by Island Outfitters.... 2 bags later (in the cart of my kids stroller) and we went and saw a few boats.

Looked at the Hewes Sportsman - was too bare, no hand rails and low transom. Deal killer as the kid will run around and then fall off the back while I'm trying to fight a fish.

Next day went to Sherwood marine had some other boats on clearance/boat show sale and we decided to go up to the lot the next day.

First was a 2018 weldcraft 18 angler. Seemed to come with a lot of good extras that the hewes didn't. Still missing others

2nd was a Raider 182. It looked tired but it was a 2017 model and had been sitting for awhile. Had rained and the carpeted side storage had green growth on the carpet. My wife hates carpet on boats. Also the bow was nice and big but it pushed everything back so that the back felt tight and short compared to the weldcraft and sportsman.

Stopped to see the Sliver Streak at SG on the way home. Everything seemed better. just the way the boat was put together, the layout with the pod was great for the kid as it is a full hight transom.

Most important the bow had high rails that ran fully round the boat. Wife liked it best as she wants to spend time sitting on the bow with the kid.

Got home and did a hard analysis of the cost vs benefits. Sliver streak came with all the upgrades I wanted/needed so price gap was smaller then we thought.

Went out fishing with my buddy and thought it over. Wife messaged and said she would be ok with significantly upping the budget to get the silver streak if we could get some deal for Boat Show Pricing. I messaged the dealer and we went back and forth a bit but were able to settle on an agreement.

The sign I knew I made the right choice was just as I finalized the deal me and my fishing buddy got hit with a double header! We landed both fish ;)

Next day went back to the boat show and my wife insisted she come with me to help "celebrate and enjoy the moment" when actually she was there to insure I didn't sneak in any add ons past our agreed budget hahaha

Everything was discussed in detail and sorted out. Agreement printed off and deposit left and done.

I take possession of an 18ft Carmanah in the next few weeks! I will come loaded with options and ready to go.

Once again appreciate everyone's input.

Decision made! Thanks for the opinions everyone! Spoiler alert! Got the Silver Streak!

We went to the boat show on friday (first few people in the door) and got side tracked at the $5 tackle table by Island Outfitters.... 2 bags later (in the cart of my kids stroller) and we went and saw a few boats.

Looked at the Hewes Sportsman - was too bare, no hand rails and low transom. Deal killer as the kid will run around and then fall off the back while I'm trying to fight a fish.

Next day went to Sherwood marine had some other boats on clearance/boat show sale and we decided to go up to the lot the next day.

First was a 2018 weldcraft 18 angler. Seemed to come with a lot of good extras that the hewes didn't. Still missing others

2nd was a Raider 182. It looked tired but it was a 2017 model and had been sitting for awhile. Had rained and the carpeted side storage had green growth on the carpet. My wife hates carpet on boats. Also the bow was nice and big but it pushed everything back so that the back felt tight and short compared to the weldcraft and sportsman.

Stopped to see the Sliver Streak at SG on the way home. Everything seemed better. just the way the boat was put together, the layout with the pod was great for the kid as it is a full hight transom.

Most important the bow had high rails that ran fully round the boat. Wife liked it best as she wants to spend time sitting on the bow with the kid.

Got home and did a hard analysis of the cost vs benefits. Sliver streak came with all the upgrades I wanted/needed so price gap was smaller then we thought.

Went out fishing with my buddy and thought it over. Wife messaged and said she would be ok with significantly upping the budget to get the silver streak if we could get some deal for Boat Show Pricing. I messaged the dealer and we went back and forth a bit but were able to settle on an agreement.

The sign I knew I made the right choice was just as I finalized the deal me and my fishing buddy got hit with a double header! We landed both fish ;)

Next day went back to the boat show and my wife insisted she come with me to help "celebrate and enjoy the moment" when actually she was there to insure I didn't sneak in any add ons past our agreed budget hahaha

Everything was discussed in detail and sorted out. Agreement printed off and deposit left and done.

I take possession of an 18ft Carmanah in the next few weeks! I will come loaded with options and ready to go.

Awesome man congrats. You've got a keeper there. And a decent boat to boot.

Congrats!

Back