SFBC's 2019-2020 NHL Hockey Thread

Who knows... they could be a surprise seller for the trade day today

Markstrom out with a knee injury ..uggg :mad:
Real tough one for the Canucks for sure as he has been lights out this year. So far really looks like 3-4 weeks after re-evaluation in Vancouver. The curse continues and of course it happened against Boston. Is Demko ready we will soon find out as the March schedule is heavy with 3 back to backs? Picked up Dominique from the Devils for minor leaguer McIntyre.
Can't believe the Leafs did nothing noticeable today as I understand the Leaf nation is absolutely on fire this afternoon. I guess Dubas wasn't getting the expected return for all his super studs.

Last edited:
If you watched the game Markstrom played the third period like the game was tied. Making crazy saves when its 8-3 9-3 and the fans wanting the 10th goal. When Cassidy sat the perfection line the last 5 minutes to rest them or so they don't get hurt. Again you can see who the better coached team is by far. When will the Canucks learn ? Oh now a road trip this should be good lol.

Going to get a good look at Demko now so they can make a decision on his future

Going to get a good look at Demko now so they can make a decision on his future
Agree totally. If he plays like a #1 great and we get Markstrom signed then either is prime trade bait prior to the 2021 Seattle expansion. One will be exposed either way or traded prior so this is Demko's time to prove he is the keeper of the future. Too bad but the timing of the expansion draft forces Benning to make this decision but at the same time the owner loves his $20 million expansion windfall.

Agree totally. If he plays like a #1 great and we get Markstrom signed then either is prime trade bait prior to the 2021 Seattle expansion. One will be exposed either way or traded prior so this is Demko's time to prove he is the keeper of the future. Too bad but the timing of the expansion draft forces Benning to make this decision but at the same time the owner loves his $20 million expansion windfall.
They can offer up Dominque who they just traded for instead of Markstrom or Demko. I remember quite a few teams traded for goalies for their goalie offering in the Las Vegas expansion draft.

They can offer up Dominque who they just traded for instead of Markstrom or Demko. I remember quite a few teams traded for goalies for their goalie offering in the Las Vegas expansion draft.
I was under the understanding that each team can only protect 1 goalie who is under contract. 7 forwards, 3 defence men, 1 goalie or 8 skaters and 1 goalie. Could be wrong as usual but I think a lot of side deals affected that outcome.
If they can only protect 1 goalie then a decision needs to be made of whether to trade 1 prior or expose 1 and possibly make a side deal with Seattle. As an example Pittsburg reluctantly lost Fleury as they chose to keep Murray.

I was under the understanding that each team can only protect 1 goalie who is under contract. 7 forwards, 3 defence men, 1 goalie or 8 skaters and 1 goalie. Could be wrong as usual but I think a lot of side deals affected that outcome.
If they can only protect 1 goalie then a decision needs to be made of whether to trade 1 prior or expose 1 and possibly make a side deal with Seattle. As an example Pittsburg reluctantly lost Fleury as they chose to keep Murray.
That seems to be more plausible. I may have to investigate that further.

If that’s the case I’m not sure the Canucks can afford to pay Markstrom, who is going on 30 a 5 or 6 year contract with a 6 million cap hit like he wants and/or deserves

Last edited:
That seems to be more plausible. I may have to investigate that further.

If that’s the case I’m not sure the Canucks can afford to pay Markstrom, who is going on 30 a 5 or 6 year contract with a 6 million cap hit like he wants and/or deserves
Not sure either but I hope Demko hits the next level over the next month and makes the decision very difficult for JB. Will be interesting how this plays out. If Demko doesn't get it done and shows in 2021 that he has lost his confidence or has further concussions then all the worry is for not. Goalies hit their prime at 30 so I personally hope a 4 year contract at 6m will get it done.
Being able to afford Markstrom under the cap without loosing a significant piece is still the big question. Dam Eriksson contract is a killer. If he retires after this season then there is room to get things done. Here's hoping.

Not sure either but I hope Demko hits the next level over the next month and makes the decision very difficult for JB. Will be interesting how this plays out. If Demko doesn't get it done and shows in 2021 that he has lost his confidence or has further concussions then all the worry is for not. Goalies hit their prime at 30 so I personally hope a 4 year contract at 6m will get it done.
Being able to afford Markstrom under the cap without loosing a significant piece is still the big question. Dam Eriksson contract is a killer. If he retires after this season then there is room to get things done. Here's hoping.
They pay Erikkson's $3 million bonus this June or July and then it is easier to buy him out or trade the contract and retain salary.

They pay Erikkson's $3 million bonus this June or July and then it is easier to buy him out or trade the contract and retain salary.[/QUOTE
Best case scenario. Will be interesting if Green plants him to the pine for the remainder of the season now that the trade deadline is done. There's youngsters that can do what he does and maybe they deserve a shot at top minutes. Who knows but I like your thinking.
The Loungo fiasco cap hit at 3m really hurts as well. In my opinion Bettman is a bandit on this one.

Will take that win in Montreal tonight :) :)
Greasy win that's for sure and I didn't realize the Canucks had not won in Montreal for 13 years.Q. Hughes tonight was off his game in opinion for the first time this year. Pettersson struggled at times as well. Both made it up in OT though. Off to Ottawa.

Tough loss, anyway one team came to play and a good welcome back story for Bobby Ryan. Markstrom had spoiled us.
No excuses as this passive play will never hold up if we somehow reach the playoffs.
Miller was a beast, Roussell and Erikkson need to sit and some new blood should be inserted. Get it done Green?
Toronto next where we seem to never seem to Play well.

No excuses as this passive play will never hold up if we somehow reach the playoffs....
3 guys all staring at the puck doesn't get the job done-neither does a shaky goalie there must be someone in the league who wants the job more.

Green is an idiot but we all know that.

Green fits the new generation of coaches mold and he surely must admit last night game wasn't pretty.
Their overall system seems flawed lately and he has been slow to react in changing things up. He does not have a true energy line that can get the team out of its funk and there is at times no secondary scoring. Horvat should not have Erickson as an option as he just doesn't get there on the forecheck. I personally think Virtanen or anybody else is a much better option.
When Canucks lack a formidable forecheck like for most of the game last night and again in Montreal we saw the result.
Turf Eriksson, add MacEwen or anybody that has something to prove. Move Motte up the the lineup and demote Roussel. What do I know but Green needs to fix this funk fast or we are toast. Just my opinion for what's its worth. We will see which team shows up in Toronto. Telling storey.

Green fits the new generation of coaches mold and he surely must admit last night game wasn't pretty.
Their overall system seems flawed lately and he has been slow to react in changing things up. He does not have a true energy line that can get the team out of its funk and there is at times no secondary scoring. Horvat should not have Erickson as an option as he just doesn't get there on the forecheck. I personally think Virtanen or anybody else is a much better option.
When Canucks lack a formidable forecheck like for most of the game last night and again in Montreal we saw the result.
Turf Eriksson, add MacEwen or anybody that has something to prove. Move Motte up the the lineup and demote Roussel. What do I know but Green needs to fix this funk fast or we are toast. Just my opinion for what's its worth. We will see which team shows up in Toronto. Telling storey.
Let’s face it they have been living on borrowed time. Markstrom has been masking their poor defensive coverage giving up over 30 shots almost every night.
I think Green is the best coach the Canucks have had since AV, who didn’t seem very good until the Sedins became dominant and were surrounded with a good supporting cast. My point is the coach can only play the players he’s given. There are still too many pretenders with healthy contracts eating up the salary cap space. I put that squarely on Benning. I think that if he hadn’t hit a couple of home runs drafting he would be gone

Hoping for a better result Saturday in the center of the hockey universe

I totally disagree about Travis Green
Let’s face it they have been living on borrowed time. Markstrom has been masking their poor defensive coverage giving up over 30 shots almost every night.
I think Green is the best coach the Canucks have had since AV, who didn’t seem very good until the Sedins became dominant and were surrounded with a good supporting cast. My point is the coach can only play the players he’s given. There are still too many pretenders with healthy contracts eating up the salary cap space. I put that squarely on Benning. I think that if he hadn’t hit a couple of home runs drafting he would be gone

Hoping for a better result Saturday in the center of the hockey universe
Agree totally, the pretenders are really exposed this time of the year. Their contracts are Cap killers but I am sure some NHL teams are in the same boat. Eriksson retiring is our only hope. Loungo we got sewered. JB drafting except Tkachuk has as you mentioned saved his bacon. But then again Hughes and Petterson may not have been available.
On to Toronto, not expecting much and hoping I am pleasantly surprised.

Back