Smallest boat for Vancouver to Victoria and back on infrequent basis ?

not saying it cant get hairy but i do have tons of experience in the shallows. hydraulic jack plate to raise the motor until the prop is nearly surface piercing, low speed to make bumping into obstacles ok and navigating by shallow water sonar makes it a lot easier than it used to be.

Hey Zurk.. if you are serious about making this infrequent crossing consider a boat that could do it safely in all types of weather, here is an example of a boat that could do it safely and still be towed by your suv.
http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/boa/4349799053.html

With what he intends to spend on electronics and upgrades, forgo the new boat and buy a used turn key boat and a used full size truck
for the same price area?
but seems Zurk is pretty determined to not heed the advice of many,
Zurk did we also mention we lost one of our CG stations here in Vancouver?

I wouldn't go on anything less than 18 or 19 doing that run all the time. I have a 16 foot DE and no way I would do it myself. Make sure it has radar being around ferry traffic. Don't let the limitation be your vehicle.

It can be really nasty and pick up on that run... Not too mention are you going in active pass? Doesn't matter what forecast say...

You will fork out big money on 16 foot silver streak, and find you can get a much larger and stable boat for less. You can't hide in the straight! I would almost be inclined to get a boat with dual outboards in case you lose one. Long tow back.

i hear ya - but seriously. im not going to go that often and if i do it will have to be perfect weather wise and at high tide. i will have two outboards (15HP kicker and 60HP main), both capable of driving the boat at hull speed through bad water if nothing else. i dont think you can get a used truck and bigger boat for $7K which is what the silverstreak is going for new. Electronics are maybe $5K at best. going to have radar and vhf and ais and simrad forwardscan sonar. doubt i will need CG services assuming i dont get hit with a rogue wave or something. will most definitely be NOT going via active pass - going via stuart - satellite and cordova channels down from nanaimo.

did it on my kingfisher 1825 twice now (nanaimo and victoria including san juan islands where all the killer whale watching boats ends up) with no issues.
slightly rough around active pass and a 16 footer would not be able to do it but my 18 footer managed it extremely well on half a tank of gas. (~15 gallons on my yamaha f115lb). took around 2.5 hours run time.
does need to wait for a weather window with winds light from env canada south of nanimo. ran it on 20% trim with 3800 rpm at 18.5 knots all the way across. 45 min crossing window. the rest in inside passage or thru san juan islands usa. inside passage is longer but better. also went thru dodds narrows with no issue.

That's a reasonable boat to do it in. For five years I ran out of Steveston to Porlier and beyond in a DE206, once a month, year round. Worst crossing was November a couple of years ago, on day three of sustained 25kt winds and gusting to 35...they shut down the ferries and you can imagine what Sand Heads looked like. We also had to imagine it, because it was almost impossible to see through the blowing spray. It was very rough and once the sun went down conditions deteriorated - but of course by that time we were well out into the strait and really, once you've left the river behind you're through the worst of it. Boat was bone dry inside, although afterwards I did say that I'd never cross in winds over 25 knots again.

At any rate, if I could've picked my days more easily I'd have done it in something smaller for sure. As it was I usually had several hundred pounds of gear on board and once I was off work on Friday I was on the water, winds and tides be damned. It would have to be a serious gale before I would consider not going.

if the departure times are flexible or you don't have to negotiate Sand Heads etc, honestly...an 1825 KF would be plenty most days. The middle of the strait is pretty tame in my experience - keep your nose into the sea and you'll never see a wave that will roll you, at least not in any weather you'd step on a boat in.

Active is pretty easy and Porlier not much worse. The rough spots I have seen in the region are around Entrance Island and in and out of the river at Sand Heads. The river is a pain because you just get the waves and bars worked out, and now you're taking the wake of a loaded car carrier at 90 degrees while trying to stay on the back of a big roller heading in...which turns into a hole as it drops off a bar right as you catch up to the wake of a big tug dragging barges and throwing six more feet of wake at a whole different angle. Yes, this exact thing happened to me. It required max throttle to fix and did age me somewhat.

Anyway if you can avoid the worst places and times, crossing the strait is not too bad. I would guess I have at least fifty crossings and probably closer to a hundred, and I chose my exit times purely by work schedule. In five years I had one incident where I delayed my departure by a day, and one where I delayed it by three hours.

I don't miss it but it's not as bad as people make out, in my experience at least.

I have crossed back and forth from Gabriola to English Bay several times in larger boats and, with good weather, it's been a joy. Your proposed route to Victoria is a little more challenging, especially in a small boat. A bigger boat is more comfortable in most weather and in unpleasant weather, it is an insurance policy. You do not want to be put in a position of having to use your safety equipment and calling in S.A.R.

I would prioritize a larger, well-equipped boat and then find a suitable tow vehicle. It's a more versatile, more enjoyable and safer combination.

Five years!
Thanks for checking in.
Forgot I was worried about you until you posted again.
Sounds like you got yourself sorted out and are enjoying the coast.

Yeah I'm actually happy to see it updated. Back when I bought my place in the Gulf islands, this thread came up a bunch when I was researching what guys were using to cross the strait. I read it thoroughly back then, several times over.

It's funny that now, five years later, I feel totally confident to offer an opinion in a thread I would have been more likely to start myself back then.

Not sure I would heed comfortable boat option advice for crossings from a guy with the handle cracked ribs lol.

Well as long as you don't get in any RIB I'm driving you may be safe...but if I'm at the dock in an inflatable and I look a little caffeinated, it's genuinely wise to stand back.

I actually did crack the hull on a RIB years ago, on a weekend shortly after cracking two ribs, right around the time I was working on a small wooden sailboat (not the one I posted here) and cracking the ribs in one spot while pulling the planks into place, which my wife tried to cheer me up from by making, without thinking about it, dry pork ribs with cracked pepper. Which ordinarily I would like, but in that case I just couldn't.

So your hesitancy may be well-founded!

I have crossed back and forth from Gabriola to English Bay several times in larger boats and, with good weather, it's been a joy. Your proposed route to Victoria is a little more challenging, especially in a small boat. A bigger boat is more comfortable in most weather and in unpleasant weather, it is an insurance policy. You do not want to be put in a position of having to use your safety equipment and calling in S.A.R.

I would prioritize a larger, well-equipped boat and then find a suitable tow vehicle. It's a more versatile, more enjoyable and safer combination.
I am interested to know what you consider a well equipped boat,( alum / glas,) length, motor, hardtop, ?

On a trip back from Desolation I was stuck on Bowen Island for 3 days waiting for weather to calm down enough to make the crossing in a 25 Wellcraft Coastal. If you can pick your day's to do it your fine in a smaller boat,but mother nature doesn't always go along with your plans.

On a trip back from Desolation I was stuck on Bowen Island for 3 days waiting for weather to calm down enough to make the crossing in a 25 Wellcraft Coastal. If you can pick your day's to do it your fine in a smaller boat,but mother nature doesn't always go along with your plans.
Same. 24 and 28 foot bayliner cruisers we had stuck at keats for an entire weekend trying to get across to Gabriola. It was 8-10 short waves and tons of spray just trying to get out past Gower. It is IN-SANE how bad it can get so close to home.

A 17 DE or hourston should fit the bill? My dads been crossing the strait to the cabin in one for years and has come across in stuff that was just plain nasty. Depending on the winds and sea his routes would always vary to best the ride. Sometimes going the extra long way on a tack to turn and come back down with it behind him.

I've been running up to the cabin in my modified 17' DE and i'll gladly go in the middle of the night if that's when the wind is mellowest. Just finishing up a 20' DE with raised wheelhouse, and even though it takes bigger water much better, winds at and over 20mph ain't worth the hassle. You don't need to spend a lot of money to travel safely.

heh. cant believe this thread is still going but heres the whole crossing in real time if ppl are interested.
starting deep up pitt river and ends at vancouver island.

Tuck in behind a ferry, they have stern watch that keep an eye on you. I did this a few times in a Campion 195 Allante bowrider.

heh. cant believe this thread is still going but heres the whole crossing in real time if ppl are interested.
starting deep up pitt river and ends at vancouver island.
You sure picked a nice day for it!

This was really fun for me to watch, since from about half an hour in to around 2:20 it's the route I used to take all the time, including the stop at the Steveston gas dock. The number of times I was out there in 20-25 knots of wind and crawling along towards Porlier at barely above idle, boat loaded down with a weeks worth of ice, beer, and cabin building supplies...or trying to keep my speed up enough to manage the entry back into Sand Heads while taking it on the beam from southeast and the getting to the breakwater...and just having it turn into a washing machine becase the waves were bouncing off the jetty and coming back, and running over car carrier wakes in the middle of all of it...man, I look back on it and think how rarely I got a nice clean sea like that, that's just beautiful.

I hope that video stays up forever, one day I'll be showing my kid that and saying "so this is exactly the run we used to do, and this is what the Fraser looked like before it was 100% giant condos on both banks all the way to Hope."

That's a pretty unique historical record you've created there. Thanks for posting it.

No more "small craft" warnings - they did away with those long time ago-- it can be quite crappy even with no "strong" wind warning and that's important ......depends on location, tides/ current direction and wind direction. For example a 17-19 knot sustained in certain area at certain time can be nasty even for a bigger boat.
Get to know an area and what the conditions are in a given wind and current/tide before you venture out with no or limited knowledge.
I had many years experience with very small boat exploring years ago... building larger trips as I gained knowledge; many trips to Gulf Islands and San Juan Islands from Vancouver or Tswassen ; Pender harbor to French Creek; Powell River to Campbell River ; Bamfield to Ucluelet ; Tofino to Hotspring Cove on outside and all over the place up in Port MacNeil and I would say without much doubt if I had to do it all again in a very small boat, I'd choose what I used then - an inflatable. Then it was 12' and 14' Nouvourania and Zodiac inflatables . For the size they are amazingly sea worthy and stable. There is no way I could have come close to doing what I did in anything else I know of in that same size class.
An inflatable is amazingly stable, especially notable in the usual GS NW or SE (sea coming from port /starboard running troughs) - they can really excel as long as you know how to run one and are careful with the power as they are light and can be flipped if you don't take it easy. If they do flip , you still have a very decent floating platform only now its your seaworthy life raft -
Yes, I like to try go around Bowen Island first, then try Vancouver Island. 12' RHIB. With Van Island, I have no idea the furthest journey between gas pumps. what's your best guess? Thank you, I really like what your wrote.

Back