Federal government measures failed to protect endangered Chinook salmon in 2019

MSF are no different then catch and release fisheries when stocks of concerns are present. In fact they are worse because they increase C@R pressure on the stocks of concern because more anglers take part in MSF then C@R. That is why the commercial recreational sector is pushing for MSF, it means more people out and more $$ into commercial recreational fishing operations.

This is unaccounted mortality in the recreational fishery and it seems significant. All reported in one page

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...owe-sound-sechelt-reports-thread.78650/page-9

Put the prawn traps out today and went for a ride in the boat and ended up dropping the lines at Grace for a couple hours. Managed to hook two fish and get sealed twice ... really looking forward to the return of the transient/Biggs killer whales for a little Mother Nature seal cull action. Lot of prawns though so all good.

Finished up the day with one shaker released, one lost to a seal and one coughed up by a seal. Crabbing was ok. Northshore and freighters.

since @hippaisland is just too damn modest :rolleyes: i'll report that his boat managed to get another big fish (15+) up Howe Sound on sunday. We released a few 'just unders' as well. Another great day up the Sound with weather and fishing cooperating nicely. Managed to avoid that pesky seal at grace but did see one other boat who wasn't so lucky :(

If we are using data from sport fishing forums and Facebook to push for mortality than we are really lost in this fishery. Dear god science by Facebook and social media.

Great point creel surveys outside of the summer months should be completed so we get a whole picture of the rec fishery. Glad you agree that there is a need for data in the recreational fishery.

Whitebuck is right, CC - seals are a big issue. Seal lions more of an issue out on the saltchuck on Chinook, while harbour seals more of an issue up the rivers on steelhead, juvie salmon and other in-river fish. This is up and down the coast.

They are relentless in zeroing-in on C & R fisheries, as well as herring fisheries.

I actually agree w Whitebuck's comments....
How many days did you put on the water last year? How many times did you get sealed?

Everyone getting all up in arms about having seals steal a salmon in catch and release time of year. Give your head a shake and start looking at the real problem of seals predating on out migrating salmon smolts. Especially the larger early Fraser chinook smolts.

Last edited:
MSF are no different then catch and release fisheries when stocks of concerns are present. In fact they are worse because they increase C@R pressure on the stocks of concern because more anglers take part in MSF then C@R. That is why the commercial recreational sector is pushing for MSF, it means more people out and more $$ into commercial recreational fishing operations.

This is unaccounted mortality in the recreational fishery and it seems significant. All reported in one page

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...owe-sound-sechelt-reports-thread.78650/page-9
Do you think those seals just go on a diet if they didn't get those easy meals? They have to go and make their own dinner instead of going to the drive thru.

CC - respect your opinion - but not going to get into a pissing match over "proving" to an anyone on a forum my experience. Suffice it to say I know many areas on the coast - and all of them have seal issues (some worse than others). I did mention the harbour seal & juvie salmon connection in my last post along w the sea lion and Chinook connection.

I find the narrative developed by some ENGOs and some whale watching outfits both hypocritical and misleading that we have to let "nature take it's course" or that the ocean is "too complicated" when talking about the seal problem - while putting so much effort into saving the SRKWs and NOT using the same rationale.

Last edited:
All I will say is join SFI because there is a wall of opposition against the sport fishery and sfi is doing the heavy lifting.

All one has to do is read this thread to see what we deal with on a daily basis on social media the attacks are never ending. Facebook is much worse.

I just hope there are more guys willing to stand up for sports fishing’s. It’s always the same five guys I see doing it all.

The sports fishery has data on stocks of concern we are not the enemy. This data will come out in due time but as you can see for good reason the cards are being held face down.

All I will say is join SFI because there is a wall of opposition against the sport fishery and sfi is doing the heavy lifting.

All one has to do is read this thread to see what we deal with on a daily basis on social media the attacks are never ending. Facebook is much worse.

I just hope there are more guys willing to stand up for sports fishing’s. It’s always the same five guys I see doing it all.

The sports fishery has data on stocks of concern we are not the enemy. This data will come out in due time but as you can see for good reason the cards are being held face down.
Very well said!

Back