Herring roe fishery

And government continues to win by pitting one user group against the other. During my 35 year commercial career and another 10 in commercial sport fishing I often wondered if all the user groups could manage to smarten up and quit working against each other and unite and finally figure out how much power they could have. Stop thinking about the "Me" and just consider the power of the "We"

I am glad someone gets it.

Marnee Pearce
Saturday
Feb. 15, 2020
"I live right next to the Salish Sea - I have watched and photographed the herring fishery for 20 years from French Creek. I have seen the decline with my own eyes - it is horrifying how the herring have diminished in numbers. I am concerned that the herring, if they do not have a chance to replenish their stocks, will be lost and we will get government apologies but no explanation for why we did not stop it when we still had the chance."
If you share this observation sign the petition now.
http://chng.it/5rYFg896ZX

ugh good lord, all you are doing is quoting a bunch of generic , meaningless thoughts from some random person that lives around French creek. This means literally nothing. "horrifying how the herring have diminished in numbers"...ok care to elaborate on that a bit? maybe bring up some biomass numbers from the past 30 years to prove yourself wrong. is this just an opinion based on what you can see with the naked eye from the beach looking a mile in each direction? all your arguments are nothing but baseless and emotionally driven, there's no substance to any of it. And stop saying herring are wiped out up and down the coast that's 100% ******** propaganda. Pathetic group of people whos only hope for success is to continue to spew this nonsense all over the internet and get a bunch of wannabe keyboard activists who don't know any better on the bandwagon. Sick, sick times we live in.

And government continues to win by pitting one user group against the other. During my 35 year commercial career and another 10 in commercial sport fishing I often wondered if all the user groups could manage to smarten up and quit working against each other and unite and finally figure out how much power they could have. Stop thinking about the "Me" and just consider the power of the "We"

I fail to understand how supporting or apposing the Herring Fishery is working against each other to the detriment of the Sports Fishery as a whole?
Clearly the herring stocks are at a seriously low level in the Salish Sea!!
My personal opinion, and that of everyone I know, is putting an end to the Herring Roe fishery in the one area in B.C. that remains open would be a positive step forward.

Chinook and other salmon species are dangerously low up an down the coast as each swims toward their home waters, getting pounded by every sector, and other apex predators throughout their entire lives.

My personal opinion, and that of everyone I know, is putting an end to the Salmon fishery in B.C. That would be a positive step forward.

In kind, my statement(s) are as ridiculous as they sound simply stated under the guise of fiction and not real. I am not a bait fisherman, but expect a bait ban and other closures of specifically targeted species like salmon if the various commercial fisheries close coast wide. It's like immediately banning oil with a majority of Canada burning petrol and other fossil fuels. Bust out the old wooden wagon wheels...

Sorry, but I find your post confusing.
Are you suggesting a ban on the Roe Herring Fishery in the Salish Sea would result in a ban on salmon fishing?
The ban on Herring Roe Fishery in all other BC waters has certainly not cauased such a result.
Or exactly what are you suggesting the result of closing the Roe Herring fishery would be for the overall salmon fishery?

ugh good lord, all you are doing is quoting a bunch of generic , meaningless thoughts from some random person that lives around French creek. This means literally nothing. "horrifying how the herring have diminished in numbers"...ok care to elaborate on that a bit? maybe bring up some biomass numbers from the past 30 years to prove yourself wrong. is this just an opinion based on what you can see with the naked eye from the beach looking a mile in each direction? all your arguments are nothing but baseless and emotionally driven, there's no substance to any of it. And stop saying herring are wiped out up and down the coast that's 100% ******** propaganda. Pathetic group of people whos only hope for success is to continue to spew this nonsense all over the internet and get a bunch of wannabe keyboard activists who don't know any better on the bandwagon. Sick, sick times we live in.

He are some facts for you.

12% of harvest sold to Japan.
88% processed as fish farm food and pet food.

From DFO Report.
In 2019, the estimate of biomass was a range of 67K to 221K metric tons. The quota was set at 20% of 123K (the “forecast”) or 25K. But the actual return was only 86K! The quota for 2019 permitted significant over-fishing.

This year, due to a huge decrease in the expected stock, the forecast has decreased to 54K, with a range from 27K to 110K metric tons. A harvest based on the forecast will amount to 11K.

Why would we harvest a keystone species when our salmon stocks are at a all time low? Sick, Sick, times we live in.

He are some facts for you.

12% of harvest sold to Japan.
88% processed as fish farm food and pet food.

Id like to see a better break down of the herring distribution. I feel it is important to understand that the primary purpose/value of the harvest is for herring roe sales to japan. The remainder, males and female carcasses(byproduct) are sold as pet food and fish farms. What are these percentages and how much goes towards the bait fishery?

Id like to see a better break down of the herring distribution. I feel it is important to understand that the primary purpose/value of the harvest is for herring roe sales to japan. The remainder, males and female carcasses(byproduct) are sold as pet food and fish farms. What are these percentages and how much goes towards the bait fishery?

There is a small amount utilized in the human food fishery as whole fish and you may see them fresh at the grocery store once a year or so and also sold in a couple of charity fund raiser events as human food quality. There is an even smaller amount utilized as bait for cut plugs and Hali fishing but I would think it is statistically insignificant. Anchovies seem to be the weapon of choice for salmon fishing bait and even there the numbers are small and getting smaller with all the restrictions.

Last edited:
Now were going after the bait fishery. My god. Lets go after the marine repair shops, next and then move on to start blaming the marine stores. Good grief guys. Might not have salmon fishery this year, and we are squabbling about on opening that is already going to happen.

Most anchovy bait is produced out of Washington state..there is no directed commercial fishery on them in BC . As for herring produced for sportfishing pretty sure most can see that there has been a who lot less of that going on as area and time closer come into play and the lodges disappear..

Now were going after the bait fishery. My god. Lets go after the marine repair shops, next and then move on to start blaming the marine stores. Good grief guys. Might not have salmon fishery this year, and we are squabbling about on opening that is already going to happen.

"now we are going after the bait fishery"
I think you are misinformed.
The Herring Fishery that is under attack is the Roe Fishery and it represents over 90% of the Herring harvest.

"now we are going after the bait fishery"
I think you are misinformed.
The Herring Fishery that is under attack is the Roe Fishery and it represents over 90% of the Herring harvest.

But why spend your energy on something that is going to be opened? Everything some of guys are posting seems to be a crisis right now. Must say NGO groups are doing effective job of scaring everyone.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
But why spend your energy on something that is going to be opened? Everything some of guys are posting seems to be a crisis right now. Must say NGO groups are doing effective job of scaring everyone.
I find your video to be irrelevant and childish!
Even though this year's Fishery has been approved, I keep posting because I believe the Herring Roe Fishery decision is a bad decision and hope it will be stopped in future years!

Last edited by a moderator:
I find your video to be irrelevant and childish!
Even though this year's Fishery has been approved, I keep posting because I believe the Herring Roe Fishery decision is a bad decision and hope it will be stopped in future years!

No it isn't irrelevant with the knee jerk reactions that are becoming common lately. Everything is a fire. Keep pushing hard/aligning with enviro groups , and you can kiss our rec. fishery goodbye. We can't just push to close other sector because we are mad we can't keep chinooks in the summer in stocks of concern. It floors me how many times this comes up on the threads.

If we really want to bring back herring we have to work with everyone collaboratively. I haven't seen one person put their hand up to start working on outfitting the marina in the straight with spawning mesh material? Not a peep on restoring habitat? That is where we need to focus. Also as Searun stated we need to look at prey availability through actually science not just theory.

I get what you are saying but working with everyone at the table is the only way forward. First Nations are also a good piece of puzzle, and keep in mind lots work in commercial operations. Need to work with them, and not against.

Otherwise that video above is valid as that hole goes too nowhere.

Last edited:
Just don't believe the data that DFO lets us see. Past experience in this country has proven time and time again that DFO manangement are both not to be trusted due to political interference and incompetent in their oversight and management decisions. Hard to think of a single species that they haven't "managed" into some state of decline. Done it on the east coast and are doing now on the west coast. :mad:

I agree we need to work together as a sector with other sectors to hold DFO to account for their poor management and their purposeful divide and conquer tactics and increasing practice of ignoring the state of the public fishery.

I think the future is for citizens to collect their own data as DFO can't really be trusted anymore. Right now the only groups collecting data other than DFO are Universities and ENGO's. Time the public fishery sector followed through and collected data to counter DFO's voodoo science with old or unrelated data sets extrapolated into the extreme because they don't have the resources or political will to do any better. If the public fishing sector is to keep going on this coast then we have to get organized and put our $ to fund some good citizen science data collection IMHO.

Last edited:
DFO said in a report from the past....
“All herring spawning within the Strait of Georgia (SOG) are assumed to belong to a single stock that migrates into the SOG in the late fall and leaves, after spawning, in March."
The SOG "single stock" of Herring is clearly at a dangerously low level.
YES...we need to work together.
So lets work together to put a stop now to the Herring Roe Fishery until the stocks return to a healthy level!!!
By all means, we can and should do other things as those suggested by member, Spring Velocity to enhance the spawning of these Herring which will speed up the recovery.

Over harvesting by big business that donate, you rub my back I rub yours. Ukee area was closed to herring fisheries because of the over harvest just about nuking any kind of herring spawn around here for years, now after many years the spawns are becoming bigger and more regular in the beginning of March, folks are saying they haven't seen spawns like these for years but they still have a long way to go. Herring row fishery is a disgusting exploitation of a key resource that supports so much of the eco system. If any herring fishery occurs it should be very limited and after the herring have spawned out, if there has to be one.

From the Gulf Islands,Victoria to Renfrew herrings have almost disappeared. There used to be big spawns in the southern Gulf Islands, Saanich Inlet, Gorge, Sooke Basin.... gone for years. Whoever says herring stocks are in acceptable state, give your head a shake. Nobody knows though why they disappeared. I have my theories but no proof.

It has been posted in this thread that the Herring Harvest is well managed based on science.
“A lot of science effort has been invested into developing a robust model for evaluating herring stocks”
Here are the facts.
In 2019, the DFO range of forecast spawning biomass for the Strait of Georgia was
67,000 to 221,400 metric tonnes.
In 2020, the range of forecast spawning biomass for the Strait of Georgia is
27,000 to 110,000 metric tonnes.”

A loss of more than 50% in just one year!

“DFO (now) predicts the population biomass will drop to just 54,200 tonnes in 2020.
The new data also discloses that the returning
herring population will consist of smaller and younger fish with lower reproductive capacity.”
“On January 28th, Jonathan Wilkinson, our federal Fisheries Minister stood up in the House of Commons and justified the commercial herring roe fishery ‘based on the abundance of the stock”
You can say the Herring Fishery is driven by Science, Politics or big money.
I say it’s driven by insanity!

Once again another example of DFO's BS voodoo "science" that will "manage" another fishery into virtual non-existence for short term monetary gains. - disgusting! :mad:

Back