2020 OKANAGAN LAKE FISHING THREAD

kingblazer84

Happy New Year Okanagan Lake Anglers lets post up some reports and pics of fish being caught recently!

2019 was a pretty good year for Okanagan Lake with some bigger fish being caught consistently which was a nice change!

lets keep the catching of big fish coming

Tight Lines!

Was out yesterday for a few hours. 3 good hits and that was it. Couldn’t get them to stick. 2 came on the candy cane bucktail from BCRob with 1 oz weight and the other was on a Lyman flatty on my type 6 sink. Water temp was 36-38 degrees.

Was out yesterday for a few hours. 3 good hits and that was it. Couldn’t get them to stick. 2 came on the candy cane bucktail from BCRob with 1 oz weight and the other was on a Lyman flatty on my type 6 sink. Water temp was 36-38 degrees.
Are you the fella with the Thunderjet?

LOL! It was dead, put a lure in the mouth, and snapped a pic. Tease me, please me, but Do NOT disease me with pics of fish you never caught!! C'mon Man! That being said, I do have a dozen or so Lyman plugs in my box... just seems like the hype is harder than those wooden Lyman's, or my "rod"... I seem to catch more on Apex or bucktails than "Laid-mans"(sorry Valentines joke). Maybe it depends what lake u r fishing, when, and how horny the fish are , LOL.

Tubber, sorry for that. I understand. I will temper my posts and be more "real". As such, I am "really" looking to do a 5-7 day fishing trip in April to BC interior lakes- Adams, Slocan, Upper Arrow, Trout, North Kootenay.
Playing it by ear right now, depending on the weather etc.. I have time (retired) on my side, I patience on my side, I have age on my side! I have many years of fishing BC eastern coastal waters when I was a lot younger! Some of those stories, which were not "stories" but were real life back then, would amaze some of the younger generation that do not have my background/family history.

LOL! It was dead, put a lure in the mouth, and snapped a pic. Tease me, please me, but Do NOT disease me with pics of fish you never caught!! C'mon Man! That being said, I do have a dozen or so Lyman plugs in my box... just seems like the hype is harder than those wooden Lyman's, or my "rod"... I seem to catch more on Apex or bucktails than "Laid-mans"(sorry Valentines joke). Maybe it depends what lake u r fishing, when, and how horny the fish are , LOL.
I wasn’t posting it for the fish. It was just to show what I was catching fish on. Great post though

Was out for family day yesterday. Lots of boats out. We hooked up to a nice fish right off the get go but lost it after a few min. Worked the area pretty good and caught one more. Both fish hooked on this plug. Awesome day on the water.

Attachments

• E8A5D548-2ED9-4F79-8B98-B6F429296B55.jpeg
    E8A5D548-2ED9-4F79-8B98-B6F429296B55.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 97
  • CFC6CCDC-B6F8-42C4-9F61-125483F93745.jpeg
    CFC6CCDC-B6F8-42C4-9F61-125483F93745.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 97
Just an FYI - single barbless hook reg on OK lake and I’ve had buddies ticketed by the COs (on Shuswap Lake) for running tandem buck-tails like pictured. My buddy was told point must be cutoff front hook (or no stinger hook) for it to be legal on Lakes with the “single, barbless” reg. Having said that, I know majority risk manage being checked and run them like you do.

Cheers!

Ukee

You’re actually wrong. Ok is barbless only. And as for the single barbless thing on lakes like the Shuswap, it’s legal. I have a few emails from the CO office and the regional bios office saying that running 2 single barbless hooks is ok.

You’re actually wrong. Ok is barbless only. And as for the single barbless thing on lakes like the Shuswap, it’s legal. I have a few emails from the CO office and the regional bios office saying that running 2 single barbless hooks is ok.

It was a few years ago they were busted during the fall derby put on at Sicamous Narrows and I know it created quite a **** show as the tourney organizers had invited the FO’s and COs out to assist and keep things legit. Interesting I double checked the regs and you’re correct, OK lake is no longer single barbless (my hard copy regs in the house are 2008, lol, shows you need to check online for up to date regs!), now just barbless. I’d guess it was updated so folks wouldn’t have to mess with their tandem flies or other lures.

Thanks Fisher-dude!

Cheers!

Ukee

It’s a bit of a grey area as the bucktails these days are considered lures and not a traditional fly. I’ve been checked a few times and they only care about barbless and no trebels obviously.

Just an FYI - single barbless hook reg on OK lake and I’ve had buddies ticketed by the COs (on Shuswap Lake) for running tandem buck-tails like pictured. My buddy was told point must be cutoff front hook (or no stinger hook) for it to be legal on Lakes with the “single, barbless” reg. Having said that, I know majority risk manage being checked and run them like you do.

Cheers!

Ukee
That debate has been tossed around for so long. The reg is not clear about what ‘single’ means. Some say it refers to the number of points on a hook, not the actual hook itself. Some say ‘single’ also refers to the lure. I say it refers to both.

Back