Public boat launch

16’ aluminum with a 50hp

no chance. you can likely make bowen but it will be risky. if its an open bow just forget it.
if its a closed bow you can make it if you pay very close attention to the weather (15 knots or less northerly winds) but it will still be risky. youre going across open water with no shelter a long way.

no chance. you can likely make bowen but it will be risky. if its an open bow just forget it.
if its a closed bow you can make it if you pay very close attention to the weather (15 knots or less northerly winds) but it will still be risky. youre going across open water with no shelter a long way.
Ya it’s a open bow
Is there no chance to cut straight across from sunset then stay closer in at Bowen?

Ya it’s a open bow
Is there no chance to cut straight across from sunset then stay closer in at Bowen?
Even that can blow up. I turned back a couple times in my 24 bayliner cruiser after turning the corner at point atkinson. It's not a short crossing by any means in yours. Pick your days or just trailer it across to gibsons and launch there.

16’ aluminum with a 50hp
I would pick the days carefully not much experience on the ocean with it, I ran the Fraser lots with it

I don't know how new to the salt you are, but i have pretty much the same size boat and motor with an extra high transom
well area to take those big waves.

If i were you forget about west Bowen it can kick up a nasty Northerly out flow wind that will put you in a situation that
you wished you were never in.. there's fish in the harbour and good crabbing, maybe just see what you and your boat can handle
Not saying you can't do it, i would get to know what the ocean can do first, fraser is flat most of the time even when it's blowing, two
different animals..

launch at Vanier , if anything goes wrong or weather changes your close to safety

Be safe and respect the ocean

Even that can blow up. I turned back a couple times in my 24 bayliner cruiser after turning the corner at point atkinson. It's not a short crossing by any means in yours. Pick your days or just trailer it across to gibsons and launch there.
Ya it will be a lot of watching the weather close this year

Ya it will be a lot of watching the weather close this year
I've got a buddy with a 17' open bow and he mostly rips it up to porteu cove and fishes way up Howe Sound. That way most of his travel time can be in the dark while on the road.

I have been out
I don't know how new to the salt you are, but i have pretty much the same size boat and motor with an extra high transom
well area to take those big waves.

If i were you forget about west Bowen it can kick up a nasty Northerly out flow wind that will put you in a situation that
you wished you were never in.. there's fish in the harbour and good crabbing, maybe just see what you and your boat can handle
Not saying you can't do it, i would get to know what the ocean can do first, fraser is flat most of the time even when it's blowing, two
different animals..

launch at Vanier , if anything goes wrong or weather changes your close to safety

Be safe and respect the ocean
I have been out in bigger boats but this is my first year trying to get out on my own. I would say my experience is very little. Thank for the tips that’s why I asked don’t want to get in bad situations

I have been out

I have been out in bigger boats but this is my first year trying to get out on my own. I would say my experience is very little. Thank for the tips that’s why I asked don’t want to get in bad situations

I'll send you some weather aps and other things i do to plan the day before, i feel for you your coming from a long ways home..

*fish the flood in the harbour
*Vanier Minimum 6' tide to launch, unless you have a big truck

Good luck! lots of fun in the harbour

I'll send you some weather aps and other things i do to plan the day before, i feel for you your coming from a long ways home..

*fish the flood in the harbour
*Vanier Minimum 6' tide to launch, unless you have a big truck

Good luck! lots of fun in the harbour
What happens if it’s below 6’? Will the trailer drop off the ramp
Thanks for the help

Ya it’s a open bow

no chance regardless of weather. one good wave and youre done for and the weather apps are not that great at predicting random waves in the ocean.
stick to rivers and small lakes.
when you sell your boat buy your next one to be able to take the ocean.
closed bow. 18-19ft with kicker and youre ok on good weather days.
25+ft closed cabin with twins if you want to go out in all weather.

This is neat info, so do you just follow the path of the fraser river as it enters the Ocean? and follow it to bowen island? How did you get this info? is there a way to see what path the fraser river takes as it enters the ocean? any additional info would be much appriciated!
Download the Navionics App. Worth the money.

Back