Thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humpbubble

had a 2015 15hp 4 stroke yammi stolen off my zodiac in the front yard last wednesday. I hear that a few motors were nabbed the same day in oak bay/victoria.

Sorry to here that. This kind of theft appears to have become an enterprise lately. Do their scouting by driving around looking for boats with later model, smaller easy to carry off motors worth 2 to 7 thousand, plus any down-riggers left on the boat. Then get your crew together with a truck and make a night of it. Your driveway is not a safe place anymore. If you can't store it in a locked garage, I guess having it in a fenced locked yard with a couple of junk yard dogs could help. Motion detecting lights/alarms. video camera, hidden night vision trail cams etc. and a little hidden engraving. Hope you are insured.

When my boat is pulled for the winter it stays in the marina storage yard but even then I remove the bolted on kicker and anything else of significant value and put it in inside storage. That kicker cost me around $4500. I assume you have the serial number. Register that motor on this site, http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm If anyone is buying a used motor or servicing it they can check to see if it is stolen.

Last edited:
Boat theft and theft from boats is huge. One wonders why they do not have a bait boat program like they do for cars. I guess because ICBC does not lose any money when it is boat related theft. Would love to see those thieves when a stolen motor is tracked to their home by a GPS tracker hidden on it and the police show up.

boat insurance will cover it for the purchase price of the motor. no biggie. i had my merc kicker stolen from a fenced off dealer lot with video and spotlight feeds+ security patrols along with 4 other boats, some of which had their transoms cut since the kickers were bolted to it.
i'd rather just lose my kicker cleanly and have my insurance cut a cheque. i'd rather the cops not bring it back in whatever junky condition its ended up in after getting abused by thieves.

Yup, the cockroaches stole a through bolted 20hp early 80s 20 HP Merc from my yard, middle of the day.

Thieves will do whatever it takes to steal the stuff they want. The experienced thieves stake stuff out prior to stealing it to know exactly what tools they need to steal the item and to save time doing so. I've got lot's of experience with scum bag thieves stealing, and trying to steal from my mining operations and our home. From small tools, to mid sized generators, to heavy equipment like excavators etc. For example how organized some of them can be, we had a metal sea can storage building that we fortified with double welded AR500 steel plates around the locks so bolt cutters couldn't get up into it and so grinders would take forever to try to get through it. The thieves staked the area out well before hand and knew what tools they needed. A week prior to the theft the fire department a few miles away was broken into and all of their hydraulic cutting tools (Jaws of Life etc) were stolen. That's what the thieves used to cut the reinforced steel away from getting into our locked storage containers. Cameras can help but you can do a lot more than that to protect very valuable things like laser motion detectors, gps (satellite, not wifi), etc that all have 24 hr monitoring that sends messages to your email and cell phone number if something is going on where your assets are. Guaranteed there's a few thieves reading our comments here and they know all this stuff already. Thieves are everywhere. Scum of the earth too lazy to earn an honest living. Karma's a ***** though. Thieves always end up in jail, on drugs, and or dead in the end.

Thieves always end up in jail, on drugs, and or dead in the end.
Unless they are Politicians!

Thieves always end up in jail, on drugs, and or dead in the end.
Unless they are Politicians!

Thieves end up stealing continually. There are no consequences for these scumbags. The court systems see them as low risk non violent offenders. Usually they're druggies so the courts see them as victims of a free enterprise system. Its all our fault. There's no incentive to stop. Once you've got a record what's the difference if you do it one time or a hundred. The consequences are the same.

It's amazing what they will do when they want something. A friend from Port Alberni told me once that his buddy had a trailer broke down on the side of the highway so he had to go to town to get something to fix it. When he came back to his boat thieves had stolen his big main motor off of it! They were in such a hurry that they used a chainsaw to cut the motor (and the piece of transom that it was bolted to off the boat (it was fiberglass) so not only did he get his motor pinched but they basically destroyed his transom in the process. Unreal.

If industry would stop abandoning there proporty we would not have so many restrictions as insuance cost are to high .I hear of people loosing crab prawn traps.If its somthing you love to keep, you do not abandon your achievments.sick of this type of shat happening .lock up the victom for disturbing the peace ,and get medical attention for the criminals.we do it to ourselves.

If industry would stop abandoning there proporty we would not have so many restrictions as insuance cost are to high .I hear of people loosing crab prawn traps.If its somthing you love to keep, you do not abandon your achievments.sick of this type of shat happening .lock up the victom for disturbing the peace ,and get medical attention for the criminals.we do it to ourselves.

??? I must be missing something.......I don't get your point......at all.

I appologize ,I haven't been sleeping well since my dog was just about abducted and aqired a 2020 f25c and new chart plotter.i will try to clarify .industry abandons full net pens ,industruy abandons equipment on the sea and land and people pay the price by being resticted from entering those areas as the cost for industry is to great for insurance. people follow the example by not securing things they love by doing the simular things.i agree it sucks to put up gates,security doors , cop cams ,and restrict people but it might be the only way to get a good nights sleep or a good days fish without a fear of loosing somthing.So i say lock up the victoms(dogs ,cats,boats ,car,truck ,house ,if need by the athority ourselves for disturbing the peace by whinning or in some cases getting assulted people change for a little while till they loose that fear and fall back into old rutines.as for the theives and criminals .beat them sencless , fix them or rehabilitat them,put them on meds to prevent them from achiving a active life .in some counrys they take surgicly take the hand of a criminal.

What happened to the law you are allowed to protect your property in the old days

You don't have that right anymore. But we got new laws that say you can set up a blockade on any bridge, railway or highway in Canada against a pipeline. That's perfectly ok, nobody gonna stop you doing that. You can stop people from going to work, the hospital or to buy food legally. That's apparently called progress at UBC.

Last edited:
You don't have that right anymore. But we got new laws that say you can set up a blockade on any bridge, railway or highway in Canada against a pipeline. That's perfectly ok, nobody gonna stop you doing that. You can stop people from going to work, the hospital or to buy food legally. Thats apparently called progress at UBC.

Not everyone can do that. There are rules to that also and i think we all know what those rules are by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back