Buzz bomb fishing (fishing the northwest) tv show 1980's

For a short period of time (1974-78) I lived in Qualicum Beach as a kid. I would ride my bike to the French Creek marina and head out on the breakwater with my Mitchell 306 and glass rod armed with a few buzz bombs. I did well there. All Coho, in the Fall. I'd thread the fish onto the handlebars of my bicycle and ride home at the end of the day. Good times!!

Ahh the early fishing days. I had my bike set up with a couple of pvc tubes attached to the back rack to hold my net and fishing rod. The handlebars would hold a small
tackle bag and a lunch. Early morning's biking off to the Golf Course, Ten Mile Point or the Breakwater. The only tough part was lugging home a fish in a couple of plastic bag's draped over the shoulder. The smaller 10-15 lb fish weren't to bad but twice I had to haul fish over 30 lbs.

Is it still possible to fish Rocky Point ??? I took a look at the point on Google earth and the whole point is nothing but a huge subdivision. Any where to even park down that way ???

Not sure, I was talking 30 years ago, with the way the Pacific Fishery has been handled would surprise me if you caught anything, maybe a few springs but coho I doubt it .... Good Luck, let us know if you try , use a pink buz bomb #4 (all pink). Just take Fillinger Cres to Winchelsea Pl, right to the end and you can probably park in the end of the street, then look threw the trees and you'll probably see the rocks with a life preserver there (last time I was there , 4 yrs ago or so) and fish off the ledge on the far left near the water or on the far right between the two points

Last edited:
Buzzbombs:
off the Chemainus dock at Christmas time in about 1974 for winter chinook.
All over the coast off the seine boat while waiting for openings on anchor: pinks, cohos, chinooks, hali, lings. It was pretty much the only type of lure I had, but I had lots in all sizes.
Deadly for kokanee in Wood Lake (tiny size).
I stll have lots, but haven't used them since I learned to fish "properly".
Hey Tubber... I was also fishing off the Chemainus docks in 74...we would jig herring then run to the end of the last dock open the spool up and let them free swim..couldn't afford buzz bombs in those days... thanks for reminding of some great memories

I remember that too. My grandparents, then my dad, (then his 2nd ex) had the bowling alley there. I visited on holidays and fishing was usually part of it.
Hey Tubber... I was also fishing off the Chemainus docks in 74...we would jig herring then run to the end of the last dock open the spool up and let them free swim..couldn't afford buzz bombs in those days... thanks for reminding of some great memories

Most of the fish I have caught in the last 40 years have been on Buzz bombs. When the Zingers first came out in the late 70's or early 80's
they became the go to lure for spin casting and mooching. I still clean up old beaten up Buzz bombs and Zingers with a fresh coat of paint
each year and they fish just as good as new.
When I was younger (now 77) I kayaked in Barkley Sound a lot in the 1980's, always trolled a pink Buzz Bomb, always ate salmon for dinner!

I use a bobber stopper about 6" above the buzz bomb and I get consistently more hookups than those in the boat who do not
I rig mine on a 3 foot piece of 80# mono with swivels at each end, the mono wears much better than just attaching them to your main line, and you can unsnap and change lures without having to re-tie anything.

I miss the days past when we used to fish Polar Bear Bucktail for coho in the saanich inlet and cowichan bay. Loved to watch a 15# coho hit a Bucktail from below, fly 5' out of the water and then take off at about light speed. ahhh the good ole' day's
I live on Vashon Island in Puget Sound, have a friend whose father killed a polar bear about 40 years ago, he is still tying polar bear
bucktails. VERY effective, especially for silvers. I used to buy polar bear bucktails in Vanocuver in the 1980's, they had a little treble
"stinger" hook, absolutely deadly fished 4-5 mph about 2 feet down. Wish they were still made.

Loving the stories Kallitype!
In an earlier post, I mentioned Tony Pletcher, some of you old-timers may have known him, he was a BC Fisheries biologist and avid fisherman. He took the pics of the fish for the BC regs pamphlets: They put the fish in glass troughs with some kind of tranquilizer, so they could use live fish and get the colors exactly as they appear in the salt.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland/fisheries/fishing_licensing_regulations/salmon.htm

In 1986, my father passed away, I got a little inheritance and decided to spend part of it on a trip to Langara Lodge, which had just opened. My wife and I
drove to Vancouver, and took a flight to Port Hardy, from which we took a Beaver out to Langara Island. There were 5 staff on the barge that was anchored in a little bay---a Fish-master, 2 female staff who did the food serving, fish cleaning and freezing, maintained the cabins etc, and a Belgian chef from a Vancouver hotel---Olivier, who was a legendary cook having a working holiday.. There were only 4 guests for this maiden event---me and my wife, and Tony and his wife. This was in 1986, the year of Expo 86 in Vancouver. Tony had a unique way of preparing his mooching leaders---he used 4/0 92553-ss hooks, and put a little dab of epoxy where the eye met the shank, so as not to have any sharp edge that might cut the line when the fish rolled. And he used a big rubber snubber, so as to cushion the strike on the 12#, 9 foot leader. The fish-master told me where to go ---it was in a nearby little bay with a gravel bottom, at 80 feet. I went out at dawn in one of the little boats the camp supplied---I think they were 14 feet, with a 15hp kicker. I dropped a plug-cut herring down, and soon had my first tyee----35#. I raced back to the lodge, woke my wife, and she came out and nailed a 30# Spring from that same spot!. When we got back to the dock, Olivier met us with a plate of warm cookies, and Tony was just getting out of his boat with a 42# Spring! What a day! In 4 days we caught springs, silvers, and even a couple pinks. We did no bottom fishing, but I'd do that now, as there were halibut a little deeper out. There were a few humpbacks around, lots of puffins, and bears on the shore. I think it was mid July. If I can figure out how to post pics, I'll enclose some pics of that trips, and our tyee, and friend Tony.. Best part----4 days and 3 nights for the 2 of us for $1100 CAD, meals and boat included!!!

Last edited:
Back