Fishing using bait

I use a 1/0 treble basically a huge hook ive seen alot of bad damage on all hooks ever see a 5/0 single from a plug what it does?if you need a reminder we use hooks to catch fish what they are intended for . if you want to go hunting with blanks go ahead...have fun

A few guys on here have said they fish tandem trebles. Releasing a fish from a treble hook can be much more difficult than a single. Obviously the impact of tandem trebles is worse. Salmon often hit bait much harder and the likeliness of a successful release using tandem trebles is much less than using singles. I'm not sure how you can argue that.... I'm sure you'll find a way. I'm only advocating for single barbless hooks. I am personally not a fan of tandem hooks either because, according to you 10 percent of fish caught will be hooked by both points. How's your release working out with this? Not well is the answer.
Pastafarian

lol :rolleyes: every time a bait thread opens up a couple of you fellow's jump on your high horse & go down this road... go open a thread on the merits of single hooks only if you feel the need to pat yourself on the back:pif not lets just keep it to the bait conversation...;)

Last edited:
Thank you for informing me that hooks are used to catch fish.
Words of wisdom, truly.

I use a single barbless hook and when I release a fish it's done in the water at the side of the boat.
Recreational salmon fishing as we know it is changing and that means anglers might have to change too.

Which means; ethics and conservation are more paramount than ever before.

If you want to help this fishery out, maybe dont fish tandem trebles if you intend to release fish.

Pastafarian

I only use a salt brine when I get stuck with a **** case of soft bait. Once in past 20 years....and only time in that period was 2018. Otherwise I specifically ask for year old bait which has spent enough time in deep cold storage to loose moisture content and stiffen up on it own. I just thaw in a bucket of salt water a tray at a time or two trays if I know it will be a busy morning. Once thawed you can shake them back and forth and they are stiff enough not to flop back and forth. Can fish the same piece all day on a quiet day.

I do the same. Throw the frozen pack into a bucket of saltwater. They work great and last long enough.

Come on guys... Stop this high school nonsense. Everyone has their own way of doing things. It's easy to make statements and assumptions on a certain technique or way of doing something. If you are the person pointing the finger you can easily be missing something. The folks using double trebles perhaps are only using it during the late summer runs when most of the fish are mature and you don't get very many jacks. Aside from what hooks you use, I have seen anglers who use single hooks but they mangle the fish. For example, they take the fish out of the water, past the fish to 3 others for pictures, take their time unhooking the fish and then flop them back in the water. Obviously very bad decisions and high chance the fish won't make it. I find thst keeping the fish in the water and taking your time with allowing oxygenated water to pass through the fishes gills and keeping the fish pointed forward and allowing them to regain their strength before letting go significantly increases their survival rate. I think this last part is more important than whether you use a single or treble hook. Too many times we get excited about getting the fish back into the water fast so that we can reset our gear and end up releasing fish when they are not ready.

All I can say when I started fishing we started the season at cow bay than went to some than nitinat bar they ran 3 rods all the time with 2 pound balls wire line number 3 pal flasher two road had that and one super herring head all ran to hooks and boy they get piles of fish all the time,when I was very young they would reel the fish to the ball snap than I got to reel fish in

Some little tips:

-The wire that pinches on to the teaser head are great for keeping the bait stiff and the roll you want lasts longer. Either way I usually huck bait that doesn’t get hit in 45 minutes to an hour. (After a couple of line checks)

-6-7’ leader to flasher. Both arms outstretched plus a bit.

-I do a wet brine the day before I go fishing, and that night, I take them out of the brine and sprinkle a generous amount of pickling salt on them and put them back in the fridge next to the Lucky’s.

-I use a treble for the bait and a single red gammy stinger and usually get the hookup on the stinger. I pre tie a handful of each of my fave teasers as I pretty much swap out tackle on each fish as I find they beat up the couple of inches of line between the hooks almost every hit.

❤️
Stizz

ever try netting a fish on a 7' leader solo ?
;)
Yes, I sure have! I’ve gaffed them too. I’ve even tailed a fish on a 7’ leader solo. (Lost my net on that one hahah)
My newest net is 8’ long plus I’m pushing 6’3” so I have a good wingspan

Eric if i think who you are who ,ive heard your one of the top cutpluggers around , personally i love cut plug too but dont get to do it much anymore , as for conservation I was using carbon hooks last year that were old and dull and i would simply just cut the line the hook will either fall out or rust out.
I put my brine in freezer every day and re stir every couple of day to dissolve the salt again, using limp noodle bait sucks LOL bait is fricken expensive and brining it makes it last a little bit longer as you know refreezing bait once its thawed is basically crab bait....

Hi wolf - probably a different Eric. I have been doing it since the 60's or so & got some schooling on a Westport Charter boat & I consider my self good. But I haven't actually done it for years other than reel-in fish a Guide at Langara did all the hard work on.

I am very happy to see you are a conservationist as I like all your posts.

Best regards, Eric

I use a 1/0 treble basically a huge hook ive seen alot of bad damage on all hooks ever see a 5/0 single from a plug what it does?if you need a reminder we use hooks to catch fish what they are intended for . if you want to go hunting with blanks go ahead...have fun
And in river gillnets are used to catch salmon but they also kill steelhead that swim into them. Unfortunately there are other fish in the ocean aside from retained fish and the extra process to potentially have to remove two treble hooks is an unacceptable risk for the high number of released undersized fish of today. There are more undersized fish around now then ever and through a season if you fish a lot you will be releasing a lot of shakers trebles are old fashioned if you are looking for fresh advice stick with singles for salmon save the trebles for the bass boys. Single hooks aren't like blanks they are like an appropriate calibre rifle for the species you're hunting.

And in river gillnets are used to catch salmon but they also kill steelhead that swim into them. Unfortunately there are other fish in the ocean aside from retained fish and the extra process to potentially have to remove two treble hooks is an unacceptable risk for the high number of released undersized fish of today. There are more undersized fish around now then ever and through a season if you fish a lot you will be releasing a lot of shakers trebles are old fashioned if you are looking for fresh advice stick with singles for salmon save the trebles for the bass boys. Single hooks aren't like blanks they are like an appropriate calibre rifle for the species you're hunting.

I have hooked for more undersize fish accidentally through the eyes with a single hook as they dig in way deeper than a treble. Either way neither of you are breaking the any laws, so keep doing what you like. Move on!

I have hooked for more undersize fish accidentally through the eyes with a single hook as they dig in way deeper than a treble. Either way neither of you are breaking the any laws, so keep doing what you like. Move on!

same the single goes in the mouth and often out the belly with the small grills, where as the small treble just on the lip.

I strongly believe that a fishes welfare after having been hooked is way more dependent on who is handling the release of the fish than the type of hook used. You can't tell me that a fish that gets netted and laid on the deck of a boat, looked at for 20 seconds, then manhandled to get it untangled and unhooked, then a minute later tossed in the water is going to do better than a fish caught on trebles by a knowledgeable person who uses all reasonable care.

I strongly believe that a fishes welfare after having been hooked is way more dependent on who is handling the release of the fish than the type of hook used. You can't tell me that a fish that gets netted and laid on the deck of a boat, looked at for 20 seconds, then manhandled to get it untangled and unhooked, then a minute later tossed in the water is going to do better than a fish caught on trebles by a knowledgeable person who uses all reasonable care.

This is my exact same point which I mentioned a few posts earlier. I concur with this exact point.

have to remove two treble hooks
Apparently you didnt READ what I said did you? Did i say I use 2 treble hook .... NO i use a large 1/0 single . YOU fish the way you want to fish Ill fish the Way i have been ok

That's great but the question was asked by a novice fisherman and is read by anyone with the internet, if everyone was knowledgeable and used reasonable care there would be no need for any regulations. In the real world there are many clueless people (some willingly) who care less about ethics or fish handling and suggesting to those people that a "big" treble hook is the setup to use is dangerous because the time to remove is longer than popping a single. A big hole in the mouth or even eye is better than fish being taken out of the water and handled for too long for mortality rates, obvious to those who know but maybe not for someone with little experience or reasonable care.People are afraid to admit they don't know something in person so they wont ask, then they get whatever answer when they do ask on the screen. same thing with hunting and today with less targets for either than ever there is less ethics and sportsmanship than ever. There is a whole group of road hunters and bridge fisherman that believe they know everything because they read it on the internet and screw you if youre going to tell them anything different even though they have been fishing or hunting for a couple years and have limited experience. sorry you took that personally wolf but you used hooks in plural so many times I must have misread with all the mention of trailers from your other posts I assume you must use them if they are darn handy. And 90% on the trailer hey you know this for sure right?

Back