Fishing using bait

samba123

I am using the next few months to experiment with the presentation and hook setup of my bait fishing in preparation for Aug/Sep/Oct fishing. I haven't been salmon fishing for too long and so I am hoping some of the more experienced anglers on this forum can help me out. Please refer to my 2 questions below...

1)When you are running bait, whether it be anchovy or herring, what percent of the time would you say chinook salmon are hooked via the top hook(hook that goes into the side of the herring/anchovy to get the slight bend) as compared to the trailing hook.

2) Do you guys prefer using wet or dry brine for herring/anchovy and why...

thanks

Last edited:
1) I'd say 70% on my trailer hook running anchovy in teaser heads, and 30% of the time they swallow it and catch the treble too (feel like trailer would still hook these ones, I'm considering running 2 single hooks as opposed to treble and trailer single).

2) brine of salt and water. Lots of salt and just enough water to cover bait. Brine night before fishing. Can keep any leftovers in fridge after, keeps for weeks. Simple, easy, works. Guides I know and lodges use this so see no reason to experiment...

If you don't want to lose any fish, use tandem trebles
I usually use tandem Gammy singles (red or red trailer) 5/0 and 4/0
I prefer straight Kosher salt. Don't lose too many scales and they get nice and stiff.
Gl

So I run a bit of a different program in that I use a single gama 40 hook to a swivel to a bead to the teaser head for bait and hoochies. With bait I don't even set the hook in the bait, I use a teaser head with a tooth pock and then the hook just swims along side. When they hit the bait the hook always lands nicely in the upper jaw. I usually throw some salt on the bait and have at it although I too have been known to use Procure. The teaser head has a bead between the swivel and the head, it's the same set up I use for plastic and I almost always use white Jugheads.

Zero issues with hooks being set and it seems they're always jaw hooked and easy to release in either case.

I used to use treble hooks but mangled more than a few juveniles so I found my way to this rig and it works great.

(I had to edit this original post, stupid Samsung keyboard is not my friend...)

Last edited:
whether cut-plug or teaser head I use 2 singles size 4/0. If you buy a mooching leader, the from hook will always be 1 size smaller that the trailer.
90% o hook-ups are on the trailer.

I use a wet brine of salt, garlic powder, anise oil & PRO-CURE Chartreuse Glow solution.

IMO single hooks give a better action than a treble; FYI they are illegal for Salmon coast-wide in the US.

I make that thing spin like no tomorrow
I prefer a roll over a spin with teaser heads but like a tight spin with a cut-plug.

Even if a treble worked better for me I wouldn't use it for conservation reasons. I see you are a charter & have different needs than I do. Peace.

The last 3 or 4 years I’ve been running the Pro Cure Brine and Bright, Chartreuse. I know it’s a gadget but it’s done well by us. It’s consistently put fish in the tub and it keeps the brine process idiot proof, which is real handy for me. I do add quite a bit of kosher salt with it as well no real measurement just dump it in. I run a small cooler keep it going or a full week or 10 days just add bait to it daily and try as best to rotate out the old. I just poor a whole container of it in the cooler dump in 2 or 3 trays of bait and a cup or so of salt and it’s good to go. This past summer I didn’t even bring the cooler in the fridge at night just left it in the fish box where it’s cool over night. We ran for close to a week and the bait stayed hard. The brine looks a little messy in the boat when it drips off but it washes off easy with the wash down and you just have to watch a little is all.

- Anchovy in glow teaser head
- fluorocarbon leader
- 2 single 4/0 extremely sharp hooks
- anchovies kept in a kosher salt/anise oil /garlic salt/ PRO-CURE Chartreuse Glow solution
- most hook-ups on trailing hook

- Anchovy in glow teaser head
- fluorocarbon leader
- 2 single 4/0 extremely sharp hooks
- anchovies kept in a kosher salt/anise oil /garlic salt/ PRO-CURE Chartreuse Glow solution
- most hook-ups on trailing hook

I can't be the only one wondering why anyone is using anise oil and garlic salt? Spill the beans.

I don’t know ask the fish why they like it?
Seriously, I read where the pellets fed to hatchery fry sometimes have an anise base flavour and instinct kicks in when they get that smell again....bingo fish on! Same with garlic, not sure but do know they can’t hurt killing the human smell on the anchovies and rig. All I know is my catch rate improved using these combinations. I rest my case.

I can't be the only one wondering why anyone is using anise oil and garlic salt? Spill the beans.
I had "luck" with halibut using anise/salt brined bait this year. Was it the "brine" or the "luck"? In my case probably the "luck". They were there and hungry on that particular day. But it probably does give a long lasting scent trail.

I only use a salt brine when I get stuck with a **** case of soft bait. Once in past 20 years....and only time in that period was 2018. Otherwise I specifically ask for year old bait which has spent enough time in deep cold storage to loose moisture content and stiffen up on it own. I just thaw in a bucket of salt water a tray at a time or two trays if I know it will be a busy morning. Once thawed you can shake them back and forth and they are stiff enough not to flop back and forth. Can fish the same piece all day on a quiet day.

There is info on what kind of stuff attracts fish. I found that info & started using it . IMO it works. The guide I learned to fish Anchovy from never brined & used only recently thawed bait.

Eric if i think who you are who ,ive heard your one of the top cutpluggers around , personally i love cut plug too but dont get to do it much anymore , as for conservation I was using carbon hooks last year that were old and dull and i would simply just cut the line the hook will either fall out or rust out.
I put my brine in freezer every day and re stir every couple of day to dissolve the salt again, using limp noodle bait sucks LOL bait is fricken expensive and brining it makes it last a little bit longer as you know refreezing bait once its thawed is basically crab bait....

I have refroze anchovies kept them in coarse salt. They got a bit petrified but they worked well.

I suppose tho a guide would be expected to use only the best bait.

Good luck releasing fish with tandem trebles through bait.
Hopefully the responsible fishermen out there that fish this way keep every fish they hook.
Otherwise you're just releasing dead fish.
Pastafarian

Good luck releasing fish with tandem trebles through bait.
Hopefully the responsible fishermen out there that fish this way keep every fish they hook.
Otherwise you're just releasing dead fish.
Pastafarian

You know this for sure right ?

90% of the fish you hook when running a trailer are hooked with the trailer but they still die hey,, how come,, explain this to me please.

The reason a person runs a trailer are when the fish are biting short. When they are feeding heavy and banging anything that moves there’s no need for it but there are times it’s darn handy. And I’m sorry but I’ve been at this a while and I just find your statement to be not true.

Last edited:
A few guys on here have said they fish tandem trebles. Releasing a fish from a treble hook can be much more difficult than a single. Obviously the impact of tandem trebles is worse. Salmon often hit bait much harder and the likeliness of a successful release using tandem trebles is much less than using singles. I'm not sure how you can argue that.... I'm sure you'll find a way. I'm only advocating for single barbless hooks. I am personally not a fan of tandem hooks either because, according to you 10 percent of fish caught will be hooked by both points. How's your release working out with this? Not well is the answer.
Pastafarian

No I’m not going to go down this road with you. I’m comfortable with what I do, if your comfortable with what you do cool.

Back