Seaport 2400 XL POD Conversion Project

Stop by the Shop today!

Transom is all done, just getting the gelcoat put on now!
O8ueQz4.jpg

They have also Started on the holds and decks!
FtcWsUH.jpg

I am having a new bulkhead put in about in the middle of the engine bay then another one right close to the transom to get a nice cover on the transom.
Yvp4CCm.png

I would suggest not shortening up your storage in the engine bay. Make a removable bulkhead or maybe make a removable cooler or container that has a mount. Never know what you'll put down there. Especially when you do a big or longer trip. Storage options are your friend.

Think tuna ice, generator, extra house batteries, fuel bladder, rods, traps, bbq, spares, etc etc

Last edited:
I know that question was coming, there are a few reasons

1) I am strong believer in begin able to help yourself in case of a mechanical failure out on the water. For me that means I rely on my Kicker motor to get me home. With diesel I have two fuels on board and only 8 gal of gas for the kicker. 8 gals don't get me very far
2) A lot of people mention the fuel savings of running a diesel and yes its true you burn a few gal/hr less, but if you look at the required maintenance costs and the cost of replacement parts for Volvo diesels the cost far exceeds any fuel savings.
3) Its hard to find mechanics willing to work on older diesels these days.
4) I really hate working on inboard engines, access sucks, its a pain in the butt, sucking up the oil to do an oil change is a terrible job which I really hate
very interesting project as I have a similar diesel in a 26' Skipjack. My main concern is blast as that diesel and leg are below the waterline making a very stable boat for its size. I agree Volvo repairs and parts are expensive. What is your budget Marty? Oil changes are a pain so I get the old oil sucked out at the marine fuel stn. Good luck with your project.

If I had the rear deck area of my Seasport torn completely apart I would reconfigure to get as much weight as possible forward in the cockpit. Fuel, batteries etc..the boat performs so much better in the slop at speed when there is more weight up front. (softer ride).

Hey Guy's

Does anybody have a recommendation for a floor hatch? I am planning on adding a small access hatch to my fish box lid so I don't have to lift the big cover to drop a fish in.
I was looking at the Tempress https://tempress.com/store/Access-Slam-Boat-Hatches-p97937167

Are these hatches strong enough to be walked on?
Do they leak?

Thanks

They definitely won’t hold up to being walked on. I bought a few things from Deep Blue Marine in Florida. They are well built and will do custom sizes as well. You can always source the hardware and King Starboard and make some. Easy to work with if you are a bit handy.

I wouldn't want anything sticking up higher than a flush hatch, it would be a tripping hazard for me,I hate how Osprey's have those hatches in their decks.You might want to try just cutting the size you want out of your existing big hatch and fiberglassing the exposed edges and putting flush as possible hinges on it.Or you could cut the big hatch in 1/2 or 1/3 and hinge the top to make throwing fish in easier.

Thanks Guys for all input, placed an order for the IPS hatch we will see how good it is.
It's been four years of being on this forum and your name still kills me. I wish I had a cool name like Captain Party Marty :(

Back