2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally a good day so went out in a buddies boat off Victoria for a few hours for winter Chinook. Very few boats out fishing. Tried inside for a while and got nothing so went over to Conny where two other boats were also giving it a try. Very slow for us. We released two under three pounds and that was it. Still nice to get out on some reasonably calm water, especially when the sun came out and the surface chop dropped to near flat. Lots of kelp islands and a lot of logs and wood from the storms, so watch out for the deadheads.

Last edited:
Got out to Albert Head this morning in the rain and the slop to try and fish a couple hours over the top of the flood. Weather was brutal, but fishing was unexpectedly hot. Hit a couple fish right off the bat around 10:30 (both released beside the boat, but I'm guessing around 6-8lbs). Went quiet for a while, then our back rod just buried, then popped off and started peeling line. Fish surfaced a 150 yards or so behind the boat, and just sat out there for a long time. With the rough water it was tough to make any headway on him. It took a while, but we finally got him closer to the boat, and he peeled off another 100yards or so. Worked hard again to get him close, and finally saw him.... right before he turned hard on the top of a cresting wave and spat the hook.

Consensus on the boat was that he was between 25-28lbs. Was a great fight, and of course we were disappointed to lose him but that's fishing!

Had another couple fish on. Decided to keep one decent 8lber for supper. Nothing better than fresh winter spring :)

Good luck out there!

Went out to Constance on Thurs from 12-4. went 6 for 7. Two 6lbs and one 10 lber on digital scale. The others 3 lbs or less. Small Ap herring spoon and tomic plugs. deeper than 130’. Herring of all sizes in stomach.

JL

Out on the Oak Bay flats. Got two around 4lbs and lost a better fish in about an hour. Lost a better one while dealing with sea sickness and dodging sailboats. Tried some "old" spots on more sheltered waters inside the bay. I was impressed by the amount of bait and birds. Ended up unknowingly towing around a couple of small lingcod for some time. There must be some salmon in there.

Crabbing: One trap had 11 dungeness and 3 rock crab. 9 of the dung were legal. One was 8". Biggest I've caught. High graded my four. Other trap had one lonely rock crab. Guess which spot I'll be marking?

Out on the Oak Bay flats. Got two around 4lbs and lost a better fish in about an hour. Lost a better one while dealing with sea sickness and dodging sailboats. Tried some "old" spots on more sheltered waters inside the bay. I was impressed by the amount of bait and birds. Ended up unknowingly towing around a couple of small lingcod for some time. There must be some salmon in there.

Crabbing: One trap had 11 dungeness and 3 rock crab. 9 of the dung were legal. One was 8". Biggest I've caught. High graded my four. Other trap had one lonely rock crab. Guess which spot I'll be marking?

were you in the podded 20' double eagle ?

Out yesterday, mid-morning off of Esquimalt and the waterfront. Conditions weren’t too bad and I hooked into a 3-4lber early on with a boat-side release.
Went deeper, 170’ and trolled the bottom to eventually hook into a very nice 10lber (she came home with me!).
I was using anchovy and noticed that the salmon were feeding on herring.
Traps at Macaulay only produced rock. Seems I’m going to have to head to Oak Bay for the Dungy’s!

Out yesterday, mid-morning off of Esquimalt and the waterfront. Conditions weren’t too bad and I hooked into a 3-4lber early on with a boat-side release.
Went deeper, 170’ and trolled the bottom to eventually hook into a very nice 10lber (she came home with me!).
I was using anchovy and noticed that the salmon were feeding on herring.
Traps at Macaulay only produced rock. Seems I’m going to have to head to Oak Bay for the Dungy’s!

congrats...nothing better for dinner then a 10 pound winter spring!
We do well on crabs on the west side of Victoria harbor near the entrance.
Oak Bay is hit and miss at best with the commercial guys working it hard.

congrats...nothing better for dinner then a 10 pound winter spring!
We do well on crabs on the west side of Victoria harbor near the entrance.
Oak Bay is hit and miss at best with the commercial guys working it hard.

Yeah just watch you don’t loose your gear on the pipes out there ;)

View attachment 50691

Took this about 10 min ago. Reward day dream after gearing her up! :rolleyes:o_O Hope to get out tomorrow!

Do you have 3 swivel mounts for the 1 rigger ? Looks like quiet the LEGO setup.

I was just at Fleming beach seeing if any boats where out. The water looked decent but the ramp was loaded with debris and only 1 trailer in the lot.

I plan on being out there tomorrow if I don’t get called into work this eve.

Do you have 3 swivel mounts for the 1 rigger ? Looks like quiet the LEGO setup.

I was just at Fleming beach seeing if any boats where out. The water looked decent but the ramp was loaded with debris and only 1 trailer in the lot.

I plan on being out there tomorrow if I don’t get called into work this eve.

It’s a Scotty 6in pedestal riser between the base plate and the swivel base. Looks goofy I know but I need the height to get over the gunnel. Either that or a massive piece of wood. I prefer this cause it’s lighter and I can strip it all out minus the base plate if I want to take the family for a spin.

I’m game for a pub night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back