Stripped Doghouse Screws

ziggy

I noticed some of the hinge screws have stripped out of the hinge that attaches to my fibreglass deck. Have read suggestions of either adding a backing plate or filling with epoxy and re drilling. Because the hatch is opened frequently for oil checks etc, I want something that will not just strip out again from use.
Anyone have any experience with this problem and if so recommendations?
Thanks

If your deck is wet at all (likely) the core in it may be wet too or rotten so the epoxy won't stick and will pull out under pressure. If you have easy access just put a small aluminum or stainless plate under deck and drill out and put stainless machine screws and lock nuts through,they'll never pull out.

The screws go through the hinges and screw into the fiberglass??

If so use stainless steel nut plates. They look like a washer about the same size as a US Nickel with a raised center boss that is drilled and threaded.

I am working on a project now where I am using them, will take a photo and post later today. They are behind the fiberglass and the raised center goes through the fiberglass, and the screw goes through the hinge and is threaded into the nut plate. The size I am using now is threaded for a No. 10 screw, 24 threads per inch. When I install them I put a dab of epoxy between the nut plate and the fiberglass to hold secure.

Last edited:
I've used those nut inserts,they are fine for shear strength (side pull) but not for up pull which is what an engine hatch would be. They will pull out .

I've used those nut inserts,they are fine for shear strength (side pull) but not for up pull which is what an engine hatch would be. They will pull out .

Naw you are thinking of something else. Photo below:

jjrbhpD.jpg

The come in various sizes, these are for No. 10-24 screws.

I drill a snug hole to fit the raised portion. Smear a little epoxy on the flat. Tap in with a hammer.

I buy them from McMaster-Carr.

Very handy for a fiberglass boat. Lets you do away with those darn wood screws that the boat makers use. Should be a law!!!

Last edited:
I haven't used that style before,what stops them from spinning when you tighten up the machine screws? Seems to me a nylock nut over a big washer or backing plate would be just as easy and your bolts could be closer together if needed.But if it works for you great.

oh sorry i was thinking of a joesph . mend .and woke up there.(help davee h )and some of those dogog houses of may will blow your mind.meet you mid way and we talk of the miracle waterproof driwall adisive .inject set and wait. and it works as a candel uner strairs..

oh sorry i was thinking of a joesph . mend .and woke up there.(help davee h )and some of those dogog houses of may will blow your mind.meet you mid way and we talk of the miracle waterproof driwall adisive .inject set and wait. and it works as a candel uner strairs..
Are you sure? This could be the Ambien talking.

If the fibreglass is wet inside or the fibres are letting lose and getting weak at all I would definitely go with Rayvons suggestion. Running a full length and as wide as possible backing strip would be a lot stronger as it will spread the tension out over a greater distance which is always a good thing.
Just my opinion.

another way to skin this cat;
remove the hinges, and fill the holes.
slide the doghouse back and forth along your deck.
never get stabbed by the edge of the doghouse again.
if the doghouse is light enuf, you can put it on the dock when working on the engine.

Back