Flounder Bait

Dude

Whats everyones Go to flounder bait. Since nothing much is really open this time of the year. I actually love the taste of Flounder great eat.

my go to baits are: Shrimp
fish guts

make sure its at the bottom and pretty easy limits. Whats your go to flounder bait!

Sea worms are the best but you have to dig them up at low tide..
Find a sandy spot with the occasional rock. There should be some under the rocks..

Sea worms are the best but you have to dig them up at low tide..
Find a sandy spot with the occasional rock. There should be some under the rocks..

A couple years ago, I was doing just this but someone came down to me and told me it was illegal to catch and use them for fishing. Does anyone have any solid info on this...
I've never used them since then, mostly because there are baits that work just as well (like shrimp).

I
A couple years ago, I was doing just this but someone came down to me and told me it was illegal to catch and use them for fishing. Does anyone have any solid info on this...
I've never used them since then, mostly because there are baits that work just as well (like shrimp).

Im pretty sure you can dig them up.
Just make sure you don't get bitten by their freaky claws that somehow appear when they turn their head inside out and attack.

you can catch flounder on just about anything. I've toss over a line with a rubber worm with a tail when I have kids onboard while we are waiting for the crab pots to soak and they gobble it up. Sometimes they can get to be a pretty decent size and weight.

We used chunks of left over bait on trout hooks rigged on mini spreader bars made out of coat hangers. In the right spot you'd get them as soon as our gear hit the bottom. Spent more time reeling than waiting as we were often in 200' of water in Saanich Inlet. Something to do while soaking prawn traps.

Caught them on 2 lb hali pipe jigs. But to target use a small strip of herring on a mini spreader bar rig. Drift over the sand any where around South Island. Easy to catch and very tasty cooked as Reeltime stated. Yum Yum.

HM

wiggly thin strip of bacon about 2" long x 1/2" wide, very small treble. 12" of line between sinker and hook. let sit on the bottom.

Back when I targeted flounder I used chicken gizzards because it was cheap and I could refreeze them multiple times. But I know for a fact flounder will bite anything that was once alive or in front of them. Flounder makes for awesome crab bait btw.

Saveth

FYI
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/dfo-rules-on-shellfish-bait.70017/

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html

Bait:
  • Only fish offal, herring, mackerel, northern anchovy and Pacific sardine may be used as bait. No other finfish may be used as bait
You cant use a full flounder as bait only what's left over from butchering

Thanks for the friendly reminder but I haven't targeted flounder in almost a decade and the rules for bait only changed recently. Once you get that salmon itch, it's kind of hard to go back to fishing for little guys.

Thanks for the friendly reminder but I haven't targeted flounder in almost a decade and the rules for bait only changed recently. Once you get that salmon itch, it's kind of hard to go back to fishing for little guys.
Great for young kids though. Light tackle

Back