Buying a U.S. Boat and trailer in Canada

what year is the trailer? if it is older than 15 years it does not have to go through riv

The butcher is correct here. I have imported a number of boats over the years and it must come over the border at time of importation; in other words the boat and trailer will need to be taken back over the border, turned around and brought back to Canada by the purchaser. The process at the border is very simple but you will be given the RIV paperwork at the time of import. This means if you don't import you can't register the trailer.

After the border, it's all very easy.

Mike - I used this guide when I bought my boat in Oregon:

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

It was very helpful. You will see near the bottom of the first page an "Important Notes: You cannot legally buy a U.S. documented boat that is currently in Canada."

So I would definitely check this with Canadian Customs before going any further.

Thanks-is that easy to obtain?

Yes, easy to obtain. Had to do it with all three of my boat trailers.

Again, a broker will help you with all of this, they know what is needed by both sides of the border in order to import. Even a phone call or email will help you answer a pile of your questions. They will provide you with a list of what is needed for both boat and trailer.

Then the works starts to obtain/collect what you need to make it happen.

If already in Canada you may have to take it to a location where they can visually check the Vin of the trailer . Not sure if they would have to check the boat ser # but I would just phone and check. In Victoria it would ba at the office on Blandshard or possibly the airport for anything large that takes up too much parking space as it is limited at the in town office. I had to do this with a piece of equipment I brought up a couple years ago when I decided to license it for the road

If already in Canada you may have to take it to a location where they can visually check the Vin of the trailer . Not sure if they would have to check the boat ser # but I would just phone and check. In Victoria it would ba at the office on Blandshard or possibly the airport for anything large that takes up too much parking space as it is limited at the in town office. I had to do this with a piece of equipment I brought up a couple years ago when I decided to license it for the road

He can NOT import the US boat and trailer if it's already in Canada. He can't go get the trailer inspected since the inspection papers and other paperwork is only available at a border customs office during the importation process . As for the certification from the manufacturer stating there are no recalls, it's easy it get. However, if the Vin is faded and you can't read the numbers and you can't locate the hidden Vin sticker, you are going to be in for a huge headache. Once you bring the boat and trailer across, if you are lucky enough to have the Canada customs agent not check the Vin for the trailer, which they are supposed to do, you will have difficulties with Icbc. In order to get insured through Icbc for the trailer, the Icbc agent needs to visually verify the Vin as part of trier checklist for first time registration in BC. Renewals in subsequent years obviously do not need visual inspection. If they can't read the Vin or located the hidden vin, they can't insure during the initial registration with Icbc.

Besides issues with Icbc, you may have issues with the insurance marine boat companies when you are trying to get insurance for your boat if it's not properly imported into Canada as it would still be considered a US boat. Similar to the same reason Icbc would Not be able to insure a car with US registrations and US plates.

Also, if you can't read the Vin or can't locate the hidden vin, the trailer manufacturer can NOT send you a new vin sticker nor can you get one created as this is against the law both in the US and Canada due to the possibility for fraud.

If I were you, I'd look for a boat with BC ownership and registration or look through Craigslist for boats out of WA and OR state... Lots of boats availabke from both those states and the boats are already in the US. Will make the process a lot easier and hassle free for you.

Last edited:
If the vin is faded or not readable, a deadblow hammer, number and letter stamps will fix it up.

If the vin is faded or not readable, a deadblow hammer, number and letter stamps will fix it up.

Vin Numbers on most boat trailers from my experience are printed on a Vin label rather than stamped into the trailer. From my understanding any reprinting of a physical label is against the law both in the US and Canada. I called my trailer manufacturer and asked them these questions because my trailer Vin was faded. They said due to the possibility of fraud they are legally not able to send me a replacement Vin sticker nor can they send a replacement to anyone else. I asked if I could get a Vin sticker made somewhere else or get a metal Vin plate made from an engraving company and they said that was against the law as well even if you had proof that you owned the trailer. The fact that you can't replace a faded Vin is the exact reason why every boat trailer manufacturer has a hidden Vin. It's placed in a location that is out of sight and protected so that it can't easily be damaged etc... It is usually a sticker. If you can find the hidden Vin that is sufficient for you to import the trailer and register with Icbc and do any safety checks with Canadian tire if needed. Now someone else has stated they were sent a replacement Vin when they asked their manufacturer. Either that manufacturer did something they shouldn't have or my trailer manufacturer made up what he told me to blow me off which I don't think is the case because he spent a lot of time with me on the phone and he followed up with several emails afterwards helping me with other questions etc.. He wasn't lazy so I dont think he made it up so that he didn't have to print and send me a replacement Vin. What he said also made sense.

Last edited:
You would also want to ask the seller about US CG registered. I imported a boat a number of years back that was USCG registered and I required and release letter stating that the boat had been de registered from the USCG. Without this document at the border the boat could not be imported. My 2 cents worth.

Don't mean to derail this thread but does anyone know if the 10% import/export boat tax will go away when USMCA is signed into law?

Don't mean to derail this thread but does anyone know if the 10% import/export boat tax will go away when USMCA is signed into law?

Is that a tax that is imposed by the CRA if the boat/trailer you are purchasing was manufactured outside of NAFTA countries? My boat and motor which I imported was originally manufactured in the US so the only thing that I had to pay was HST. I have not been following the trade talks and do not have any idea what USMCA is.

NAFTA is dead and the replacement is USMCA. Trump Gov imposed a tax on boats coming in (amoung other items) and to my knowledge Lib did the same - tit for tat kindof thing. Just wondering if it goes bye bye when USMCA is in.

NAFTA is dead and the replacement is USMCA. Trump Gov imposed a tax on boats coming in (amoung other items) and to my knowledge Lib did the same - tit for tat kindof thing. Just wondering if it goes bye bye when USMCA is in.

I haven't been following this so thanks for sharing. I have no idea if it will or will not. Best to contact the border agency and they will transfer to you someone at a specific desk who should know. Good question though as I often see boats getting imported into Canada from the US border.

Thank you for all the information. You all gave me lots of ideas and saved me a lot of time by pointing me in the right direction. I called A&A Customs brokers who in turn checked with CBSA and the short answer is-- NO . The boat has to be physically sighted and checked by CBSA at a Canada border point-doesn't have to go to the states but no way around the border trip

When I imported mine last year the trailer had no registration number stamped anywhere but I had California reg. papers, so when I took it to Can.Tire I think it was RIV that sent them a new number and they stamped it on a tag and riveted it to the trailer. I got stung with the Tariff at that time at the border crossing but luckily I had split up the values of the boat,trailer and motors with separate bill of sales,so I only had to pay the tariff on the boat only.The border agency guys said that if I hadn't done that,I would have paid tariff on the whole unit.That 10% tariff is gone now I think.

I've done this process a few times and the only concern at the border is the trailer. Make sure you have a bill of sale that includes both the boat and trailer, also a itemizes list of some of the expensive extras doesn't hurt like radar and sonar etc. Really make sure the trailer has a VIN # (very important). Also a letter from the trailer manufacture stating that the trailer is free of any recalls goes a long way. Pay your taxes and a quick safety when you back and register it and your good to go.

Is it a 2601 Striper with 2 x 150HP Yamaha’s by chance?
No it is an aluminum with a 10 year old calif reg on the boat and trailer (expired). Want to be very careful with that one. Pretty sure after talking to the customs broker-A&A and CBSA that there is no way of getting around taking it to a border entry point. It does not have to go back to the states. Right now it is a little pricey even if the registration wasn't a problem-

Back