Scuppers one way rubber flaps

Wow you brought back one of the threads I started back in 2012!

Hi Gord, I wouldn't go with this inline set up for a few reasons. The reason is they likely won't offer any better seal than the present stock rubber flapper in your present scuppers. They would likely also be harder to access to clean and replace as compared to the stock flapper scuppers on the outside of transom. Takes me all of 5 minutes to replace my rubber flappers.

Quite a while back I went through the same thought process you seem to be doing and bought some great quality ( edit: Stainless Steel) floor drains that had a rubber "check ball" inside. The ball would sit in the drain below floor/deck level. I figured that would be better due to easy access to the check ball to clean it of any debris or replace the ball when necessary. You could unscrew the drain screen to access the ball inside and to clean it out. Similar to the external transom ping pong style of scupper but much better access to clean due to being accessible from inside the boat and accessible without having to haul out onto the hard. They were very much the same as the Perko https://www.perko.com/catalog/category/underwater_hardware/product/447/ but much more reasonable price than the Perko. Great quality but just can't remember the brand . I will search out the name and ad a link here later (...EDIT Its Gemlux https://www.gemlux.com/89501 )

but I ended up not installing them anyway. I was concerned that water exiting the cockpit floor may at times not have enough pressure to push the check ball enough allow the deck to drain properly, especially if there was any push back on the check ball from water coming in the other way or some debris managed to jam the check ball. With the stock rubber flappers on the outside of the transom scupper I have never had a problem with my floor deck not draining properly. Even after periods of snow and ice while moored. Yes you do get a bit of water coming in when two heavy guys stand in the corner of the stern of the 228 seafarer while playing fish etc. but I felt that was the lesser of the problems. I decided to just replace my rubber flappers every 2-3 years, flush them out every trip with hose and live with the fact they don't seal out water completely when heavy guys walk to corner. When there is enough outside water back pressure the flapper will close tighter but remember the drain hose will still be almost full of water. The problem is really solved by raising the scuppers a bit higher up from water line but then the floor ultimately should be a bit higher as well. I considered ping pong style outside scuppers ( over top of present scupper) but was also concerned about drain water pressure from deck needed to push those open if they had any pressure from water on opposite side.

Last edited:
I have the ball type and they work well. Mine are a couple inches above the water line. When i do have lots of weight in the stern and when in bigger seas they will go underwater. If there is any debris in them they will leak water back onto the deck. On those days I put a rubber stopper into each hole on the inboard side to prevent it. If I need to hose off the deck I remove them and then put them back in once the water has drained. Simple fix and cheap.

Problem with the stopper idea is that if you forget to remove and leave them in while boat moored and have open cockpit the rain water (melting snow water) will not escape out the floor drains if you have them plugged

Greg, do you know the diameter of the 228G Scuppers? I think scuppers come in a variety of sizes from 1" up. I think I'm going to give the Rabud ping pong scuppers a shot. I get some water still on the rear deck port side where my batteries and kicker are when I'm full of fuel/two people out on the deck. Its not a big safety issue, more of an annoyance with wet feet.

Put 1.5" pool plugs in your scuppers when you fish and pull them to rince blood , dirt, etc. That's what we do

Greg, do you know the diameter of the 228G Scuppers? I think scuppers come in a variety of sizes from 1" up. I think I'm going to give the Rabud ping pong scuppers a shot. I get some water still on the rear deck port side where my batteries and kicker are when I'm full of fuel/two people out on the deck. Its not a big safety issue, more of an annoyance with wet feet.

The scupper flapper on the Grady 228G model incl your hull year is 1 5/8" in diameter .

The TH Marine Kit that is available has 2 of each that size plus 2 each in 1 7/8" and 2 1/4 " size. The kit is TH Marine FSRK-1-DP. The problem with the TH Marine kit is you need 3 flappers so you need to get 2 kits since there is only 2 of each size per kit. The Perko flappers can be purchased as singles and are Grady OEM on our models/years. They are Perko Cat No. 0333DP099A.

IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4337.JPG IMG_4336.JPG

There is a bit of good news. In talking to Grady customer service in NC a few years back they told me that for the 2003 Seafarer they actually redesigned the scuppers and raised them about an inch on the transom for that model. Still though not quite high enough IMO. Problem is that they didn't raise the floor height to componsate and the only way you could have them higher is raise the floor/drain height. Then gunwale height would have to be redesigned higher. Of course costly but IMO it probably should have been done and it's something about Grady I think was done poorly.

If you go the ping pong route let me know the details and results, thanks.

Last edited:
The scupper flapper on the Grady 228G model incl your hull year is 1 5/8" in diameter .

The TH Marine Kit that is available has 2 of each that size plus 2 each in 1 7/8" and 2 1/4 " size. The kit is TH Marine FSRK-1-DP. The problem with the TH Marine kit is you need 3 flappers so you need to get 2 kits since there is only 2 of each size per kit. The Perko flappers can be purchased as singles and are Grady OEM on our models/years. They are Perko Cat No. 0333DP099A.

View attachment 50136 View attachment 50137 View attachment 50138

There is a bit of good news. In talking to Grady customer service in NC a few years back they told me that for the 2003 Seafarer they actually redesigned the scuppers and raised them about an inch on the transom for that model. Still though not quite high enough IMO. Problem is that they didn't raise the floor height to componsate and the only way you could have them higher is raise the floor/drain height. Then gunwale height would have to be redesigned higher. Of course costly but IMO it probably should have been done and it's something about Grady I think was done poorly.

If you go the ping pong route let me know the details and results, thanks.

thanks Greg. I’ll keep you posted.

Peahead...would never happen in my case because the boat gets a thorough rinse after every trip back at the dock. The only time I have left them in is if I've had to dock with the stern facing an on coming sea. I'll leave the plugs in and then put my sloping canvas on to cover the cockpit and keep rainwater out. The bilge pump is in the standby mode as well...I sleep well!!! lol

Back