Flasher Maintenance

RogersonCrusoe

Hey guys,

Do you have any go-to methods to make your flashers spin freely again? Some of my favourites are very stiff from being neglected over the winter.
Fluidfilm?

Also: any recommendations for replacement Splitrings/Coastlocks? (size, brand, etc.)

Thanks!

The last couple of years I’ve been using a silicone based motorcycle chain lubricant. It’s quite tacky and seems to last quite well. Many different types out there I’m sure one is as good as the next but the one I use is very tacky so you know it stays put.

If you lose them enough, then you just have to replace them with new ones. Hasn’t failed me yet!

My tip is that I make sure to clean them all after each use with fresh water and dry in a warm space. They seem to keep going and going.

If you lose them enough, then you just have to replace them with new ones. Hasn’t failed me yet!

My tip is that I make sure to clean them all after each use with fresh water and dry in a warm space. They seem to keep going and going.
That's my practice too - but two months of neglect inside the drawer in the boat stored outdoors has really taken its toll on a few of them. Really highlights the hardware quality difference between the manufacturers out there.

I only lost one flasher last year! Of course it, and the spoon, were brand new. Clearly I'm not fishing aggressive enough ;)

Well the vinegar/salt combo worked way better than I expected! Took some flashers from 25% to 80% free spinning and got rid of some of the grinding noises.

The season comes and goes so fast, so i buy new for the the start of the season, no more faded, scratched up, not so smooth
swivels that give line twist, i'm sure the glow or whatever else is on them dies down after a season in the salt and sun, down to
only 4 favourite ones, i give away old ones or put aside for spare or new dummies.. :) i'm always in a tackle store and can't leave
without grabbing something..

The season comes and goes so fast, so i buy new for the the start of the season, no more faded, scratched up, not so smooth
swivels that give line twist, i'm sure the glow or whatever else is on them dies down after a season in the salt and sun, down to
only 4 favourite ones, i give away old ones or put aside for spare or new dummies.. :) i'm always in a tackle store and can't leave
without grabbing something..
I have a drawer full of old stuff but I agree. It's more of a collection of stuff I don't use anymore. I can't help but buy 4 of my go-to's once a season then cycle some 1 year old ones out. I have a dish tub in the boat and my four clips and four flashers with lures on them go into the tub when I'm done for the day and they get covered in fresh water, swirled around and water dumped. Clips pulled out and a spray of wd40 onto all the gear (that part I only recently started doing). Rarely ever do I go to the flasher drawer to try something else.

Well the vinegar/salt combo worked way better than I expected! Took some flashers from 25% to 80% free spinning and got rid of some of the grinding noises.
Does that mean you will catch 80% of the fish you would catch if you had new ones?

I picked up 2 more last week:
Lemon lime/ chartreuse and a derby winner to go with some new skinny g’s

I have a drawer full of old stuff but I agree. It's more of a collection of stuff I don't use anymore. I can't help but buy 4 of my go-to's once a season then cycle some 1 year old ones out. I have a dish tub in the boat and my four clips and four flashers with lures on them go into the tub when I'm done for the day and they get covered in fresh water, swirled around and water dumped. Clips pulled out and a spray of wd40 onto all the gear (that part I only recently started doing). Rarely ever do I go to the flasher drawer to try something else.
I have to much time on my hand... i wash in a bucket of soapy water, rinse, hang from the hooks to air dry, resharpen the hooks, buff the flasher
till i can see my reflection...

Does that mean you will catch 80% of the fish you would catch if you had new ones?

I picked up 2 more last week:
Lemon lime/ chartreuse and a derby winner to go with some new skinny g’s
80% of nothing is still nothing ;) But now with 80% fewer line tangles!

I have a Derby Winner that has, yet, not won any Derbys. I'm starting to think this is all a marketing ploy... ;)

It’s always good to do little chores over the winter to keep yourself thinking about fishing. I personally recently took my messy tackle corner and organized it into an extra tool chest I had laying around. Way better!
View attachment 50202
Optimistic about using your vacuum bags I see :p

Flasher maintenance?????? This is getting ridiculous!!!!
If the body of the flasher is in good shape, why replace the whole thing when I can spend 20 minutes and make it good-as-new-ish? That said, if anyone is buying replacement flashers... PM me for Honest-RC's-Used-Flasher-Haulaway-Service

On return from a trip I wash the boat with hot soapy water.

I start with two 5 gallon buckets of hot soapy water.

One for the boat, one for the fishing gear.

I toss all gear in one bucket (flashers, jigs, sinkers, plugs, spoons, leaders) and let it soak as I wash the boat.

After the boat is washed, I wash off the rods and reels with hot soapy water and spray the soap off with hot soapy water.

Dump the bucket of gear on the driveway and hose everything off.

Hang up to dry.

Can someone explain flasher maintenance? What is that?? The yearly new must buy flasher is normally the one, so flashers only work for a year then in the flasher drawer not to be seen until next year when another is added.

HM

It’s always good to do little chores over the winter to keep yourself thinking about fishing. I personally recently took my messy tackle corner and organized it into an extra tool chest I had laying around. Way better!
View attachment 50202

You think as I do. Will have to take photos of the remainder of the drawers.

Organizing and maintaining gear gives us old retired guys something to do.

o7V9oou.jpg

5sliLXq.jpg

Back