Candied Salmon

Afternoon snack with momma,, well after, afternoon snack ;)

48838799448_fa94d5b6ff_z.jpg

Just completed my first batch of Nogs candied salmon, I used 4 bamfield springs this time around. It is a definite hit with the family! I made a rookie mistake and cut a few of the strips a bit thick, so next time ill pay closer attention to that. I think I ate a 10lb spring in one sitting Lol. Thanks for the recipe Matt, I'll be making it again for sure.

Found It.

This is the original we developed.
I would go with a little less of the Cranberry juice to make a slightly thicker brine.

Tangy this one...

Brine:
8 - 10 liters White Cranberry Juice
1.5 cups coarse salt
4 bags Demerra Sugar
1 full bottle Roasted Garlic & Red Pepper Spice
1.5 Liters Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce.

Simple. Brined to 48 hours, dried for 8, then slow smoked for another 8 - 10 hours (low heat).

Candied.jpg

Results:
Marvelous candy flavour with a distinctly tangy after-taste.
A new WINNER!
Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Nog

EDIT TO ADD: I think this recipe would work very well with strips (as above) and / or smaller chunks.
Hey nog what size bottle is the red pepper spice ? Costco size or reg small one from the grocery store?
Thanks Chuck

Day 2 under the fans, and the strips have begun to darken:

A closer inspection shows that the pellicle has formed on the top side, but has a ways to go yet on the bottom:

So... into the second night of chilly air circulation...

Interesting thing about this recipe, and one perhaps I was hesitant to share in the past. The finished product will be subjected to not one, but two pellicle forming experiences. I expect the entire works will have that magical skin on it when I check tomorrow. Pretty close to dry to the touch, and sealing in all that goodness. Time for the next step!!

Once they have dried enough, I hit them with a rum based glaze. This seals it up even more, yet still allows the smoke to transfer (albeit not overly deep - which is fine considering the strips are fairly skinny). Departs a rum "finish" along with the velvety flavors of apple and alder. Also helps contribute to the translucent look I am seeking with this stuff.

Next lot swimming, this one buzzarding the big smoker soon...

Cheers - Nog

Glaze Day.

LGnspRW.jpg

1/2 - 3/4 cup of real Maple Syrup, 2 small jugs of Rum Extract, then top it up in a standard squirter bottle with Bacardi Black.
The strips have formed a nice pellicle all round, and are just on the verge of going transparent.
Taking a tad longer than last go, but not too far off track.
Hose them down:

xgNEzvB.jpg

Under the fans again until the am check tomorrow.
Likely hit the other side with the glaze then, and fan until the next am.
Smoker getting dragged out & prepped tomorrow...
Likely smoking the next...

Cheers,
Nog

Due to the extreme humidity (as in constant rain) the strips took an extra day under the fans to dry sufficiently for smoking.
Had to ice down those on brine to get the temperatures right down - triple bagged blocks so as not to dilute the brine!

RlpMB06.jpg

Then off to make the pick-up...

Final Day:

fVlWmBw.jpg

Yep, just what I was hoping for!

CzP7xbb.jpg

Homeward!

G4Qugiu.jpg

The waiting Big Box:

FbgQM75.jpg

Stuffed:

jNGFYrQ.jpg

1.5 hours straight heat (125 degrees) to firm up the outside, then a 3 hour burn of 50 / 50 Apple Alder chips, followed by another single hour to set.

Already smelling fine around here...

Final installment on this run tomorrow, and the start of the next...

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
Wrapped up just at dusk, then let it cool on the racks for a couple hours.
Turned out Excellent!!

D3i6p50.jpg

See through Gummy Bear consistency loaded with flavour!

And this is what 1/2 a cooler full of the good Stuff looks like:

ZqIKcc6.jpg

Headed out to get the next run under the fans...

Until next time - Tight Lines!
Nog

Last edited:
All looks top notch once again Nog, thanks for sharing and giving us the know how and what fer, this is the best smoked salmon recipe and process out there hands down.

@IronNoggin please help! I've gone and overdone it. The top 6 racks fit in my smoker. The rest will surely be one big stuck together mess :eek:
20210911_193624.jpg

Back