Shockwave S5’s reviews

O ya sorry on a rant, bent to pick up a piece of paper that fell behind the pull out recycling bin in the kitchen a few months back and once down, I couldn't get up, it took me about a good 2 months to recover, so yes I need a Shockwave as well!
Great story for the wife....!

We put the shockwave bases in a pair of 26 aluminums (one with a Corbin and the other with a cheaper seat) . On the plus side they have taken the 100 shift pounding on the west coast for three years without issues. They show very minimal corrosion too which is great. A couple thoughts in hindsight:

- I wouldn't go with the Corbin seat again. My backs in crappy shape and I find the back reclines to much do I prop it up with a lifejacket. The temptress seat is a little more upright which I prefer.

- wish the mount had more adjustment (especially to give it another 5 degrees of forward lean) . A swivel option would be dandy but may make it susceptible to failure...

- I wouldn't buy them again without putting a sprung seat of some sort on there. I find the shockwave base doesn't absorb those jarring shots that shoot pain down a leg. The corbin although beautifully made has little cushion so it doesn't absorb any shock itself.

-Certain chop doesn't seem to engage the shock ( no matter the air pressure).

Better than nothing rigged as we have them but there's always room for improvement.. I'll be more careful with seat choice and mounting angle if I go that direction again. Does anyone have experience with the Bostrom rigs?

We put the shockwave bases in a pair of 26 aluminums (one with a Corbin and the other with a cheaper seat) . On the plus side they have taken the 100 shift pounding on the west coast for three years without issues. They show very minimal corrosion too which is great. A couple thoughts in hindsight:

- I wouldn't go with the Corbin seat again. My backs in crappy shape and I find the back reclines to much do I prop it up with a lifejacket. The temptress seat is a little more upright which I prefer.

- wish the mount had more adjustment (especially to give it another 5 degrees of forward lean) . A swivel option would be dandy but may make it susceptible to failure...

- I wouldn't buy them again without putting a sprung seat of some sort on there. I find the shockwave base doesn't absorb those jarring shots that shoot pain down a leg. The corbin although beautifully made has little cushion so it doesn't absorb any shock itself.

-Certain chop doesn't seem to engage the shock ( no matter the air pressure).

Better than nothing rigged as we have them but there's always room for improvement.. I'll be more careful with seat choice and mounting angle if I go that direction again. Does anyone have experience with the Bostrom rigs?
There is a swivel option

I put shortened seat tubes on mine and both swivel, plus the seat bases I bought adjust forward and back.

I put two bases in my North River with the original factory seats. I did sit in one of the shock wave seats at the boat show a couple of years ago. They were nice but way too pricey. Even the gal I talked to at Shockwave said they were over priced. One of the best investments for me. as well serious back issues over the years. Currently have a piece of disc that has broken and pinching the sciatic. Honestly, I always feel the best when I am in the boat. I think the bases are the main investment, but if money isn't an issue then I would buy the whole package.

Their market is really high end auto seats and usage for military and ccg. Most of the products they make are in that. Market on rec seats is small.

They are more of a high end industrial product. They are good seats and designed very well. But you pay for the name and patented design. The price has more to do with the market they are in.

They aren't only one in Victoria. This company makes similiar products in Langford area on south island https://shoxs.com

Last edited:
I put air rides in my last boat. Took them out of a big rig. Paired them up with all leather seats from a Jeep Cherokee. Very comfy but not built for the hard slaps that come with boating. Had the passenger seat set with to much pressure for the copilot and it just about launched him overboard.

I put air rides in my last boat. Took them out of a big rig. Paired them up with all leather seats from a Jeep Cherokee. Very comfy but not built for the hard slaps that come with boating. Had the passenger seat set with to much pressure for the copilot and it just about launched him overboard.

o boy... there goes that idea

Last edited:

a good advert for Shockwave. I knew there must have been a reason people,do,use air rides

I have one shockwave base with the original seat with a swivel. I found it hard to adjust and not as forgiving as I was told. A friend brought me a "American" brand truck seat from the US. Its a single cylinder shock and springs that is very easily adjusted with a single handle. It is attached to a high back seat with lumbar support, and fully adjustable armrests. It also reclines if you drop the hook and take a nap! The whole thing cost what I paid ($950) for the Shockwave , without the seat and cutting down the riser box . Needs more maintenance, because it painted-- not stainless.

I have one shockwave base with the original seat with a swivel. I found it hard to adjust and not as forgiving as I was told. A friend brought me a "American" brand truck seat from the US. Its a single cylinder shock and springs that is very easily adjusted with a single handle. It is attached to a high back seat with lumbar support, and fully adjustable armrests. It also reclines if you drop the hook and take a nap! The whole thing cost what I paid ($950) for the Shockwave , without the seat and cutting down the riser box . Needs more maintenance, because it painted-- not stainless.

thanknyou for the feedback, now that you experienced both, which would you recommend?

I feel the Shock Wave 5 base is over priced . The "American" truck seat and base is cheaper, and more comfortable. ( I was out today in 2-3 ft chop and it did a good job of keeping me from rearranging my spine. The test for me is do I need to brace my legs when a biggie is incoming--- ShockWave 5 Base--- yes, The truck seat-- no

I forgot to mention-- the truck seat is painted-- not stainless, so it will not last as lone as the Shock Wave.

I feel the Shock Wave 5 base is over priced . The "American" truck seat and base is cheaper, and more comfortable. ( I was out today in 2-3 ft chop and it did a good job of keeping me from rearranging my spine. The test for me is do I need to brace my legs when a biggie is incoming--- ShockWave 5 Base--- yes, The truck seat-- no

That is very interesting, thank you for sharing :)

Back