Thoughts on low hours 2007 yamaha 115

Bugs

Thinking of buying. I know the Yamahas have good reputation.. but that some vintages had issues. Anyone have experience with this era? Between 300 and 400 hours... so the pot
ential exists that it sat a while without use.

Those Yamahas have a pretty good reputation, but like all mechanical devices you never know what might happen. Find out if you can why it has sat idle. A compression test (after doing what is in the first sentence below) is in order before any decision to purchase should be considered.

If you make the decision to purchase and because it has sat for a while, don't just start the engine up without turning it over by hand a few times and then using the starter with the emergency stop activated so it wont start. After doing that and after ascertaining everything is in good nick I would consider replacing the oil and filter, and leg oil. I might suspect that the old and stale fuel may also cause problems, so would change/clean the fuel filter and VST filter. Certainly removing the leg and replacing at least the impeller would be in order. Remove and check the thermostat and at the same time note how much salt build up is inside the engine. Remove the internal anodes and replace them as necessary. Remove the prop and grease the splines.

Those Yamahas have a pretty good reputation, but like all mechanical devices you never know what might happen. Find out if you can why it has sat idle. A compression test (after doing what is in the first sentence below) is in order before any decision to purchase should be considered.

If you make the decision to purchase and because it has sat for a while, don't just start the engine up without turning it over by hand a few times and then using the starter with the emergency stop activated so it wont start. After doing that and after ascertaining everything is in good nick I would consider replacing the oil and filter, and leg oil. I might suspect that the old and stale fuel may also cause problems, so would change/clean the fuel filter and VST filter. Certainly removing the leg and replacing at least the impeller would be in order. Remove and check the thermostat and at the same time note how much salt build up is inside the engine. Remove the internal anodes and replace them as necessary. Remove the prop and grease the splines.

Great feedback, thanks very much for taking the time!! Will post back if I end up buying it

Cheers

One thing that I forgot to mention. Whatever you do, make sure that the electrical system is securely hooked up to a battery when you run the engine. Do not jump start it and then disconnect the battery and let it run.

I had a 2010 Yammy 115, just before they updated them so likely same model as the 2007, or close enough, on a 180ET Searunner. The best large outboard I’ve ever run and heard from many other boaters about their great experiences with that motor. As gungadin mentions above, despite low hours, key will be if it was maintained and stored properly over the last decade and a half. If it tests out ok, should be a great motor!

Cheers!

Ukee

Check the zincs while you are at it. There are a number of them inside the water jacket that can be easily accessed through the head.There was an issue with early to mid 2000 outboards with saltwater rot. I believe it was 2006 when Yamaha added a corrosion resistant covering to the inside of the water compartments to combat this issue.
Its always a good thing to check regardless of the motor type. Salt buildup and corrosion is the slow knife to an outboard.
My 2008 Yammie 150 has just turned 2050 hours on it and still looks and runs like a champ! Lots of stories online about the longevity of these motors. There a little slow on the holeshot but can run top speed or troll all day long and not break the bank on fuel costs.

Hello Gents... deal fell apart, so all for nothing in the end. Thanks for your input though. I am sure it will be useful to people in the future and was food for thought for me

Cheers

Thinking of buying. I know the Yamahas have good reputation.. but that some vintages had issues. Anyone have experience with this era? Between 300 and 400 hours... so the pot
ential exists that it sat a while without use.
I have a 2008 Yamaha 90 that I bought 2 years ago with 67 hours. just make sure you do a new impeller and fluids. It’s at a whopping 154 hrs now. No problems

Back