Some Winter Projects.

walleyes

Crew Member
Couple winter projects I've been working on. First is a Cleaning table. Tossed a couple ideas around for mounting options, designed a couple pillar type mounts but in the end opted out of them as I'm just not into having more mounts extruding from the boat, just more stuff to snag lines and nets on, I like a nice clean, clear working area void of clutter and snags. Went with this system that site on top of the upper fish box and is held in place by two existing tie downs that are already on the boat. Its heavy enough that the wind will never lift it when in use and when not in use it stored off the back of the boat held in place by a small bracket and a Bungee strap.

49381218078_63e9627b38_z.jpg

49381218183_80ffc6e4ef_z.jpg

49381680771_1da55569a6_z.jpg

49381777481_559c68261a_z.jpg

Second project, I made use of some other wise wasted space. Again I am not into clutter in a boat or any place as far as that goes. I hate tackle boxes sliding around the deck and getting in the way and all wet so last year I kept them down in the Cuddy but it’s a bit of a pain when going through lures. So I pulled out the plastic insert on one of the sides and built a tackle storage and Flasher holder along with an extra shelf for storage. The Tackle storage holds 5 smaller trays and 1 bigger tray more than enough for a days fishing hooks and more. The flasher trays hold 16 flashers again not all a guys flashers but more than enough for the days fishing and we can keep what’s hot up in the trays. The boat has an area that holds 5 trays already so in total I can hold 11 trays ready on hand but put away and not flying around the deck. It’s built as an insert so it stands alone, 8 heavy stainless screws hold it in place with those removed it pulls out for access behind it.

This first pic is the area I removed the plastic insert and put in my built insert.

49381225168_bdd2fd7ae7_z.jpg

49381217733_b0cae537e8_z.jpg

49381217593_508f65c07d_z.jpg

49381876497_9579aff67c_z.jpg

49381876367_21a0f655e1_z.jpg

It was all built out of ½” HDPE board. I found it very easy to work with but I was surprised at the weight of it. All was secured with Stainless screws, some counter sunk where needed. I am very happy with the outcome and quality of the projects they should last for years with no issues

Last edited:
Very nice, indeed! I also alway look for ways for easy, accessible but out-of-the-way storage. You can never have enough storage on a boat. And starboard is a great material other than you cannot glue anything to it. Just make sure your tackle boxes are wedged so tight that they don't rattle their way out on a bumpy ride.

Amazing post wally, Great! what I like is you have designed it in a way that it will be easy to clean!

Very nice, indeed! I also alway look for ways for easy, accessible but out-of-the-way storage. You can never have enough storage on a boat. And starboard is a great material other than you cannot glue anything to it. Just make sure your tackle boxes are wedged so tight that they don't rattle their way out on a bumpy ride.

Thanks Gentlemen.
Yah you bet chris, the trays are a very nice snug fit, not hard to pull in and out but nice and snug plus as you can tell they are on about a 20 deg angle to help from falling out as are the flashers. The flashers may require a strap to hold them in I do have some nice little stainless eyes I bought and will use colour matching elastic cord for a strap if it’s required. I’m going to give it some test runs and see how it all stays in before I get carried away with retention straps.

Wow great job! Hope you don’t mind if I steal your flasher/tray storage idea.

Lol, yah giver thats why I post, to share ideas.

I used my Miter saw to do the cuts. I first cut the two pieces to size then screwed them together at the bottom corners. On the saw I had to place two blades together in order to get the thickness needed. Then it was just a matter of setting the angle and marking the spacing ( 1/2”) and very carefully cutting the slots. It went quite easy and worked well. I’ll admit it took some thought as to how to get to this point but in the end it worked out.

Last edited:
Amazing work, I love my boat organized. Removed my microwave and installed a similar rack for tackle boxes which is a great use of the space. Keep going, some creative ideas there.

looks good Walleyes, I also have the same plastic rod holder inserts....any idea what the weight would be of your Mod? I had previously been thinking sheet metal but I prefer the look of yours.

thanks,
Darin

looks good Walleyes, I also have the same plastic rod holder inserts....any idea what the weight would be of your Mod? I had previously been thinking sheet metal but I prefer the look of yours.

thanks,
Darin

I would guess in the 40# range it’s not light that’s for sure. I would have preferred a sheet of 3/8 as well to do some of the inner shelves to lighten it up but none of the supply shops I contacted carried 3/8 only through a special order. They all stocked 1/4”, 1/2” or 5/8” sheets. I’m not worried about the structural integrity of the gunnels it’s mounted to as they are 3/4” marine plywood glassed inside and out so they are built crazy strong.

That looks awesome nice job . Where would a person find the board you used thks

stubby2 I live out in N/E Alberta about 3 hrs east of Edmonton and I bought the product at a supply shop in Edmonton. I believe I paid around $180 a sheet if memory serves me right and I bought 2, 4 x 8 sheets. I still have 1 sheet left over untouched all that you see in the pictures was built from one sheet with quite a few small pieces left over.

Like I mentioned it’s very nice material to work with it holds a screw very well. All holes must be pre drilled otherwise the screw more or less melts it’s way in and squishes out the top and just doesn’t look good. Pre drill the holes just a tad deeper than your screw size in order to give the shavings rooms to move into and it makes it very neat. For the main structure I used 1 1/2” #8 stainless screws and for the inner workings I used 1” #6 stainless. It’s very dense material and holds a screw very well. Pre drilled holes to match the shank of the screw if you wanted to you could run the screws in and burry the head of the screw and not spin the screw. On the exposed surfaces I reamed out room for the screw heads to run in flush and not have to run the screws in until they flared out the material. On the back side and anything out of site I didn’t worry about it and just sucked the screws in nice and tight.

Last edited:
Back