F150 Towing Capacity

Might i add just got to 1
95km on my truck and only issue ive bad with it is front end is starting to go on it but i have a 6 inch lift and 37's on it and its been banged down a backroad or two in its day ... About a 1000 bucks to fix it with parts that have lifetime warranty other than that drives like a top.

I have a 2001 1 ton dually GMC Duramax with the Allison tranny. Towing a 5th wheel and a 24 Skagit 6000km during the summer.300K, 3rd set of Michelins(just put the 3rd set on) brakes done twice, 2 sets of batteries, regular oil changes, tranny flushes and filters and that's it-nothing else. Love good diesels!!!

Diesels make sense for big loads or big mileage. My boat/trailer is only 3000 lb gassed up, and the 5.3L pulls it easily. But even a relatively light boat like that takes its toll on fuel consumption. I can get 12-13 L/100 km on the highway normally, but with the boat on board it jumps to 17+. I make two trips a year to the coast, the rest of the year it's short hauls around the Okanagan, that's just 10% of my annual mileage under tow. A gas engine in a half ton is fine for me, no way I'd pay off the upfront cost of a diesel 3/4 ton with those numbers. Still, the lease runs out in 6 months, I'll be looking at the Dodge 1/2 ton with the Fiat diesel and see what the numbers are like on that. The equation is always changing. I rated the Chev as the best buy for my needs in 2014 but that was then, the Ecodiesel was in massive demand then so no deals to be had.

I also have been looking hard at the Ecodiesel 3.0 from Ram. Same HP as my 4.6L F-150 but much more torque and all at a much lower RPM (obviously). It (crew cab 6.2' box) has the same towing capacity (7700 lbs) as my current F-150 (Crew Cab 6.5' box) but looking at just the numbers it would appear to do much better. That coupled with the fact that my towing time is probably 1-2% of my yearly mileage means I am not in it for the towing performance, as long as I am legal. Having said that, my boss has an Ecodiesel and says it still blows him away at how awesome it is. He is averaging single digit L/100 currently. That is HALF the fuel my F-150 burns... Crazy....

A warning to all Ford EcoBoost owners. There is a carbon build up issue on the intake and adding additives will damage the turbo. It seems to all begin with a cold engine misfire.

I went from a chev 3/4, to a chev 1 ton, to a f250, and now I have a 2014 f150 with the 3.5 eco boost. They all drank fuel when towing.
I tow a fair bit, but usually shorter distances. Very happy and impressed with the eco boost! I pull a 28 ft pursuit no problems and no sway.
I went for all of the tow options and added airbags. The max tow capacity with the options I purchased is 11,100 lbs. the new model has even higher tow capacity. I think all the manufacturers have come a long way when it comes to towing due to improvements in breaking systems and transmissions.

El Capitan, the new model has a higher tow capacity on paper, but many people that I have talked to that have had both say the steel body handled the ride better.

I also have been looking hard at the Ecodiesel 3.0 from Ram. Same HP as my 4.6L F-150 but much more torque and all at a much lower RPM (obviously). It (crew cab 6.2' box) has the same towing capacity (7700 lbs) as my current F-150 (Crew Cab 6.5' box) but looking at just the numbers it would appear to do much better. That coupled with the fact that my towing time is probably 1-2% of my yearly mileage means I am not in it for the towing performance, as long as I am legal. Having said that, my boss has an Ecodiesel and says it still blows him away at how awesome it is. He is averaging single digit L/100 currently. That is HALF the fuel my F-150 burns... Crazy....
Dropped by Dodge dealer a week back to see what the price/availability thing is like. Ummm... don't think I'll be buying an Eco Diesel. $4700 upcharge for that engine. It might make sense to guys who are used to their thirsty 5.7 Hemi, but my 5.3 has been delivering real world fuel use only 2-3 L/100 km worse than Dodge's claimed figures for the EcoDiesel. I get 11-12 on the highway, has been as low as 9. So the diesel would use 400-600L less fuel annually for a savings of maybe $700 at best. Certainly doesn't pay off over the course of a three year lease. And then consider the $200 oil/filter changes plus urea tank fills. Repairs on diesels once out of warranty are expensive, and parts and technicians for Fiat engines won't be plentiful, especially when compared to small block Chevs. I did give it a look but the diesel doesn't work for my situation.

I went from a chev 3/4, to a chev 1 ton, to a f250, and now I have a 2014 f150 with the 3.5 eco boost. They all drank fuel when towing.
I tow a fair bit, but usually shorter distances. Very happy and impressed with the eco boost! I pull a 28 ft pursuit no problems and no sway.
I went for all of the tow options and added airbags. The max tow capacity with the options I purchased is 11,100 lbs. the new model has even higher tow capacity. I think all the manufacturers have come a long way when it comes to towing due to improvements in breaking systems and transmissions.
what does your 28 ft. pursuit weigh full of fuel on the trailer ?

My wife and I splurged on a 2016 5.0 f-150 last week. The lighter aluminum has upped the capacity. It has the tow package, which includes the transmission cooler and can supposedly pull 11000. I won't be trying that. I think the max tow package can do more. I'm still learning, but am sure it can pull better than the 1996 5.0 4 x 2 manual I traded in.

Old thread but will add my experience with F150 towing for future folks looking for info on how they do. Mines a 2016 5 litre 3.73 gears 4x4 6” lift 35x12.5 R20 tires. Past boats hauled on Highway 4 which is about as bad as it gets for hills twists and turns. 232 Grady white and 24 Searay laguna never worried about fuel in boat or gear. Pulling them was no issue at all, drive like your towing something give yourself more breaking distance etc common sense stuff and it’s a breeze. Yes you can feel it but I’ve pulled with a 1 ton diesel and you can still feel the load. Drive like an old man live to be an old man drive like a young man die a young man lol. Coming down hills tow modes great, had a buddy tow my Laguna coming down hump with his 1996 F250 his brakes smoked up pretty bad but the new 150 in tow mode you don’t have to touch bakes much. Don’t plan on coming down a hill hot thinking your going to stop on a dime slow and steady and it’s a breeze.

3 days into a F-150 with the 3.0 litre Diesel engine. Going to tow a 22 1/2 foot Double Eagle but haven’t yet. Looking forward to seeing how it towes. Coming from a 1500 Chevy with 5.3 litre that “**** the bed”. I am impressed with the mileage so far. Got 8.6 litres/100 km on the highway with 300 km on the truck. Should only get better I would think.

Oly

Oly look forward to hearing how the 3.0 diesel does pulling, I would assume great. First I've heard F150 has that motor option, your getting killer mileage, my 5.0 is 14-15 but it doesn't see much highway other than number 4 where it's up and down oversized tires don't help either killing the fuel mileage.

Oly look forward to hearing how the 3.0 diesel does pulling, I would assume great. First I've heard F150 has that motor option, your getting killer mileage, my 5.0 is 14-15 but it doesn't see much highway other than number 4 where it's up and down oversized tires don't help either killing the fuel mileage.

The best I got with my Chevy and the 5.3 was around 12 with 14 litres per 100 km being more of the norm. Towing the boat was 25 to 27. Hopefully it won’t be long before I have some towing mileage and get to compare some numbers.

Oly

A friend pulled his 2525 Kingfisher from the east side to Ukee and back with a 3.0 diesel dodge, so the Ford 3.0 should be okay with a decent sized load. I'm enjoying my 2016 5.0 F-150. No issues. 13.9/100.

I have an 3.0L eco diesel jeep. 7500 rated. The 2525 is about as big as I'd go like tubber said his buddy did.

I've towed probably 15 different boats with it. From a 16ft campion to a 24 kingfisher. 21 seaswirl, 21 trophy etc. It is fantastic. Would I ever haul a heavy boat with it? Nope.

The jeep doesnt have the footprint required. But it did make me respect the motor more. 165k km and zero issues. Can make it to AB at 140 and 30mpg.

Thought I would give an update for my new ride. Went fishing a couple weeks ago, pulling a 26 foot Hourston full of fuel and fishing gear from Nanaimo to French Creek and back, hitting every red light possible. Got 16 litres per 100/km towing and no problem towing that size boat. Didn’t even really feel it behind there. I have almost 3000 km on the rig now and the mileage is getting better. Took a trip to Victoria running my son back to the airport after Christmas and then around Victoria shopping and back to Nanaimo. Averaged 8.3 litres per 100/km. So far so good.

Oly

Thought i'd chime in with what appears to be an over-looked option in a towing rig....like maybe a 5/8 ton?

I felt like my 21 foot Arima pushed my Tundra around when driving to Uke or Port Hardy.....i put up with it for a couple of years. When I stepped up for a 24 foot Skagit Orca,the Orca hung with a DF300 definitely pushed the Tundra around....i felt unsafe doing Malahat

Two year ago I stepped up for a Nissan Titan XD....bigger foot print then the Tundra, more towing capacity, and definitely better brakes. I try and run the fuel off in the boat before towing but it's still about 8,000 lbs, maybe more when i've got all my crap in there for my three week summer trips. The Titan XD handles the load very well although fuel economy (it's a gasser) is pretty bad...but that's the price you pay for safe towing with the proper rig. It also handles my 8 1/2 ft Northern Lite camper way better then the Tundra....it has a 2,000 lb payload, a few hundred lbs better then the Tundra

Last edited:
Back