Herring Sale in Steveston, January 11

It is easiest to cut strips for Rhys Davis super strip heads. Fillet the herring down to the backbone, then cut the blue upper part off, save as a thinner bait, last call.
Take the silver lower side and trim to fit the narrow head space. A long tapering triangle is a good shape. Brine and colour it. Best to use the right hand side, but the left side can also be used in the super strip head. Much harder to get the correct shape for the large strip holder. one side is curved, the other straight. Do your cuts when the bait is half thawed.

• Just got back home from picking up my 2 bags of herring. Nice looking herring, should be great for bait. Now the work begins vacuum packing it all :confused: .just want to say thanks to everyone at Steveston herring sales. Service was great. I’ll be back next year to help support A.C.T. Thanks again -

Last edited:
  • Just got back home from picking up my 2 bags of herring. Nice looking herring, should be great for bait. Now the work begins vacuum packing it all :confused: .just want to say thanks to everyone at Steveston herring sales. Service was great. I’ll be back next year to help support A.C.T. Thanks again -

^^^. First time at one of these sales and was very impressed by the service and quality. Thanks! Will be back next year.

Lot of work but pretty happy with how the herring worked out! About 200 pieces brined and vacuum packed into 20 bags, and another roughly 200 pieces chopped and portioned into ziplocs for prawn/crab bait. Can't wait to get out and use it
How many bags is that?

I think I have 20lbs in packs in the freezer.
Since the halibut, prawns, and crab in Okanagan Lake have been fished out by "commies" and FN, has anyone ever planted a herring under a tomato?
I'll still have lots for whenever the citizens of Ucluelet will have me.

Hopefully things will eases up a bit. I have 40lbs of the herring I would like to use up. Might have to make some pickled herring :)but I would rather use it up Hali and ling fishing

Back