Baja-off the Beaten Track

spring fever

Bahia de Los Muertos or bay of the dead is about 11/4 hours north of Los Barriles-one of my favourite spots to get a cheap panga day trip. Saddled up with my partner John (Westview marina, Tahsis) and left LB at 0415 yesterday and after a careful mountainous drive arrived at Los Muertos by 0530 with lots of time to spare.
Friends of ours had camped there and arranged our guide-Fili-John had fished with him before. We were told-no tuna, few yellow tail, Dorado, Sierra, Pargo, Cabria-typical mixed bag winter fishing in the Sea of Cortez.
Cloudy, cool but no wind to toss us about in our 22ft panga. Started off trolling Rapala's but we couldn't seem to connect-others were hooking up but our hats were obviously not on right. I made sure NOT to call the hook-ups on other boats because when I was guiding last summer it used to drive me nuts. Bought some live bait and the world became bright again -Cabria, pargo-couple of really nice sierra and lots of needle and trumpet fish. We would have liked some Dorado but for John and I it was a great day in the panga- we have both caught way more than our share of big fish and I think it was the other guys turn!! Sun came out and it turned pretty toasty. Headed in by 1300-quite a few dorado had been caught but they had switched long before us--our choice -not the guides. Some choice Mexican vittles and the odd cerveza capped off a great day on the water. I know guys want this info -so the panga and guide for the day including the tip comes out to 260 Canadian -total-the bait is extra about 25 cdn and the guide filleted the fish. Living the dream!!. By the way if you are checking a map of Baja-Muertos is called Bahia los Suanos (bay of dreams) by the Gov't--tourist thing I guess DSC01157.JPG DSC01146.JPG

Reading your deadly Mexico fishing posts makes me realize I’m doing it wrong living up here in the dark all year .

Bahia de Los Muertos or bay of the dead is about 11/4 hours north of Los Barriles-one of my favourite spots to get a cheap panga day trip. Saddled up with my partner John (Westview marina, Tahsis) and left LB at 0415 yesterday and after a careful mountainous drive arrived at Los Muertos by 0530 with lots of time to spare.
Friends of ours had camped there and arranged our guide-Fili-John had fished with him before. We were told-no tuna, few yellow tail, Dorado, Sierra, Pargo, Cabria-typical mixed bag winter fishing in the Sea of Cortez.
Cloudy, cool but no wind to toss us about in our 22ft panga. Started off trolling Rapala's but we couldn't seem to connect-others were hooking up but our hats were obviously not on right. I made sure NOT to call the hook-ups on other boats because when I was guiding last summer it used to drive me nuts. Bought some live bait and the world became bright again -Cabria, pargo-couple of really nice sierra and lots of needle and trumpet fish. We would have liked some Dorado but for John and I it was a great day in the panga- we have both caught way more than our share of big fish and I think it was the other guys turn!! Sun came out and it turned pretty toasty. Headed in by 1300-quite a few dorado had been caught but they had switched long before us--our choice -not the guides. Some choice Mexican vittles and the odd cerveza capped off a great day on the water. I know guys want this info -so the panga and guide for the day including the tip comes out to 260 Canadian -total-the bait is extra about 25 cdn and the guide filleted the fish. Living the dream!!. By the way if you are checking a map of Baja-Muertos is called Bahia los Suanos (bay of dreams) by the Gov't--tourist thing I guess View attachment 49950 View attachment 49951

Do you eat the rock Pargo? It is always perplexed me, everywhere I have fished from Baja - pinas bay panama not even the locals ( who eat jack crevelle) will eat the rock Pargo, saying they are the worst eating fish in the ocean, which confuses me as they are in the snapper family .

Do you eat the rock Pargo? It is always perplexed me, everywhere I have fished from Baja - pinas bay panama not even the locals ( who eat jack crevelle) will eat the rock Pargo, saying they are the worst eating fish in the ocean, which confuses me as they are in the snapper family .
Great eating!!

The developers of the Sueños resort renamed it from Bahía de los Muertos because they didn't think older rich gringos would be interested in buying property in the Bay of the Dead. All Mexicans still call it Bahía de los Muertos for the members of the Spanish navy that were killed there by the local inhabitants. They still unearth bones there to this day.

Great report SF,

One of my favourite spots to fish on the south end, so many different types of fish to catch. Great fish tacos at the cantina there too.

Keep living the dream SF

Will be back down in March for a few weeks and have plans to visit friends in El Sargento for a few days. I'll reach out when I'm down there

Great report SF,

One of my favourite spots to fish on the south end, so many different types of fish to catch. Great fish tacos at the cantina there too.

Keep living the dream SF

Will be back down in March for a few weeks and have plans to visit friends in El Sargento for a few days. I'll reach out when I'm down there

Look forward to it-out of here 19 march

SF,

Im down the 3rd through the 24th, I'll touch base when I get down there. Leave a few for me
Will be down again from 28 - 7th , sounds like there is still a good bite on nice grade YFT so crossing fingers it holds out, will be out on a 37’ Viking for three days .

Will be down again from 28 - 7th , sounds like there is still a good bite on nice grade YFT so crossing fingers it holds out, will be out on a 37’ Viking for three days .
Apparently it's doing good still-lady friend (not that good a friend ) has a 65? Viking(she used to have a 61) and they did very well last thurs and even got a blue marlin the weren't looking for.

Any recommendations for a quick fish charter out of Cabo? 4 hrs max. Fishing any good this time of year? Never had much luck in the south in January. We are 4 guys with a few hours away from the families...Jan 18-24. Thanks!

Back